What ID needed for teens to leave/return to the ship in Bermuda?

Cruised to Bermuda several times, but have always been with adults.

When we get off the ship for the day we've used a picture ID (always use our licenses, leave passports in the safe) and our Seapass cards when returning to the ship.

Our upcoming trip in July, my cousins family is traveling with us and her children are teens with no state issued photo ID's.

Will she have to take their passports on and off the ship all the time to show with their Seapass cards, or because they are with an adult, they are okay to re-board the ship?

When we get off the ship for the day we've used a picture ID (always use our licenses, leave passports in the safe) and our Seapass cards when returning to the ship.

Our upcoming trip in July, my cousins family is traveling with us and her children are teens with no state issued photo ID's.

Will she have to take their passports on and off the ship all the time to show with their Seapass cards, or because they are with an adult, they are okay to re-board the ship?

Depend on ages, believe over 16 they have to have separate ID. On the Bermuda run adults need sea pass and separate ID. We just usually show our DLs

Make photo copies of the passports. The only exception I know of is in San Juan, where you are required to have your passport.

According to a Bermudian travel website:

For US citizens on a closed loop cruise (i.e. direct round trip cruise to Bermuda starting and ending at the same port in the US), the valid documents include either a passport or a combination of Proof of Citizenship and US Government issued Photo ID. The Proof of Citizenship can be original state certified US Birth Certificate, original certificate of US Citizenship etc.

As the teens have passports, just use them. I've never understood the reluctance to use passports for their intended purpose.

Depend on ages, believe over 16 they have to have separate ID. On the Bermuda run adults need sea pass and separate ID. We just usually show our DLs

Exactly what we do (seapass and dl), but not sure what the younger teens need. My cousins son is 16 and I believe has a drivers permit, so that should do. Her daughter is 13, so I'm not sure if she needs another form of ID besides the Seapass card. I guess she'll just carry her passport.

Shouldn't one just use the Seapass to get off also? Passports are checked on embarkation and should not be needed thereafter to get off the ship at each port.

When you come back to the ship in Bermuda, you have to show the Bermudian authorities a photo ID in addition to your Seapass card in order to come through the dock area.

Most people use their drivers licenses, and if they don't have one, would then have to use their passports.

When you come back to the ship in Bermuda, you have to show the Bermudian authorities a photo ID in addition to your Seapass card in order to come through the dock area.

Most people use their drivers licenses, and if they don't have one, would then have to use their passports.

Gotcha. We always take our passports with us when we go ashore every port that we go to.

Under 16 they DO NOT need a separate ID, only the seapass is sufficient. That info will be on your daily, I can't quote mine from last year because I won't be home until tomorrow. I know this from memory and experience.

Under 16 they DO NOT need a separate ID, only the seapass is sufficient. That info will be on your daily, I can't quote mine from last year because I won't be home until tomorrow. I know this from memory and experience.

This is correct.

Thank you Don! You're always so helpful!

Make photo copies of the passports. The only exception I know of is in San Juan, where you are required to have your passport.

Why would a US Citizen need a passport in San Juan? As Puerto Rico is a territory of the United States.:cool:

Other than help in getting a replacement a photocopy of a passport is worthless.

Edited by southernbreezes

Why would a US Citizen need a passport in San Juan? As Puerto Rico is a territory of the United States.:cool:

Other than help in getting a replacement a photocopy of a passport is worthless.

Right, I don't remember ever having to show a passport leaving or returning to the ship in San Juan.

I was on the Eclipse trans-Atlantic just last month which stopped at Bermuda for an over-night. To return to the ship we just used our sea-pass card and drivers license. No problem with Bermudian authorities.

Someone mentioned taking a passport, unless I have to (ie. St Petersburg, RU), I am always afraid I will lose it, damage it, or it will get stolen. Also, it's too bulky for my pockets.

So, you are assuming all cruise passengers are US citizens? If you are a foreign national entering a US territory you need a passport.

The local police generally stand at the beginning of the dock to check and be sure your sea pass matches your photo ID> We've never used our passport for this, always used our DLs for this.

Note: We've seen photo ID with sea pass card required at a number of ports by the local authorities. This is particularly true if you are a minority. We've seen African Americans inspected closely in a number of ports to be sure their photo ID matches their sea pass card.

So, you are assuming all cruise passengers are US citizens? If you are a foreign national entering a US territory you need a passport.

Dave, even if you are a foreign national you would only show your passport at your point of entry into the US, not at every port stop. For San Juan, this would be at the San Juan Airport entry point or when they first boarded the ship. If you boarded the ship in Miami you do not need a passport to get off and on in San Juan, just your Sea Pass card, and a government photo ID.

No need for anyone to risk taking a passport or driver's license off the ship at any port where it is not necessary.

It would be a pain to have a passport or driver's license replaced if it should be lost or stolen.

Just take a photocopy of your passport to use as ID for re-entry to the port area.

That's what we and our travel companions always do.

At the few foreign ports where we needed to take the actual passport itself with us, they always let us know in advance.

But as previously stated, the rules can be different for different nationalities.

Edited by varoo

No need for anyone to risk taking a passport or driver's license off the ship at any port where it is not necessary.

It would be a pain to have a passport or driver's license replaced if it should be lost or stolen.

Just take a photocopy of your passport to use as ID for re-entry to the port area.

In Bermuda you must (if 16 or over) have a sea pass card and drivers license or picture id (original) that was issued by the US or state. IDs via the DMV for non-drivers are cheap and sufficient. A copy of a passport is NOT accepted. Obviously an original passport is acceptable.

In Bermuda you must (if 16 or over) have a sea pass card and drivers license or picture id (original) that was issued by the US or state. IDs via the DMV for non-drivers are cheap and sufficient. A copy of a passport is NOT accepted. Obviously an original passport is acceptable.

You are correct, we were in Bermuda September 2016. They along with most other ports really do their job and check ID. Lots of ports in the Caribbean all they look at is your Sea Pass Card but you should have a valid government issued photo ID with you if asked. Have no idea how or why a photocopy of anything would work. Think about it anyone could forge a photocopy so easy!:rolleyes: Everyone should know for sure before getting off the ship so ask. If you do not see it on the ships daily ask at the shore excursion desk or purser's desk. We have Global Entry they issue a federal photo ID card the size of a drivers license that we carry the cost is $100.00 for 5 years (free with American Express). If you travel often you should have this. https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry

At the few foreign ports where we needed to take the actual passport itself with us, they always let us know in advance.

But as previously stated, the rules can be different for different nationalities.

This is very misleading info. A photo copy of any ID is only good as scrap paper to local authorities. They want to see the security measures (hologram, color changing ink, special watermark, etc) to verify the ID is not a forgery of the original ID.

WITH that said for Bermuda you will pass by Custom Officials on the way off the dock, at this point they generally do not stop you to verify if you have proper ID in addition to your Seapass (which security used to ding you off the ship), but if they see a teen/child that looks unaccompanied they may ask them for a photo ID (if 16 or older) or where their guardian is, most common when the children run ahead of the exiting crowd. Upon return, you will be asked for your Seapass and photo ID and children too young for ID might be asked who are the adults they are traveling with. If the name on the Seapass and the ID does not match bridge documents must also be presented. On our most recent trip, a newlywed wife was asked for her marriage license in addition to her Seapass (in her married name) and photo ID (in her maiden name), so her DH needed to board the ship retrieve it then bring it back to the Customs clerk before they would let her back in to the dock area.

With the America's Cup drawing several thousand more spectators each day to the Dockyard security is tightening up access the ships. Acceptable photo ID for the Bermudian port authorities is a driver's license/permit, military/dependent card, government issued work ID, state/county/town non-driver general picture ID, and of course Passports (either card or book). For teens they will sometimes allow a picture ID issued by their school.

You mean a photo ID that would work as a voter ID? One particular party in the US claims they are hard to get:D