RCI rates

What makes Royal so much more expensive that Holland America?

You would have to be more ship + itinerary + cabin category specific to get a good answer.

We have a Memorial Day weekend cruise coming up on the Royal Caribbean Enchantment and a 7 Day Western on the HAL Eurodam in December.

Using those 2 as an example, the Holland cruise is more expensive that the Royal Caribbean cruise... way more.

I thought HAL was the more expensive line, geared more towards older, more traditional, wealthier old people. Only HAL cruise I've researched prices for was way more expensive than the alternative. Only reason I checked was because it was one of the only options leaving a particular port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It isn't...

For example, I am paying quite a bit more per night for my upcoming HAL Maasdam cruise--in an OV cabin--than I am for either of my upcoming Jewel cruises --in a hump balcony!

ALL cruise lines price based on supply and demand. Nicer, newer ships usually sell for more than old, tired ships...school vacation season or holiday weeks sell for more than off-season dates. Popular itineraries sell for more than poor ones. And pricing also depends a LOT on when you book. On any line, you might get a great deal booking early--before they see how the cruise really sells...or sometimes by booking late--if the cruise hasn't sold.

Some Royal Caribbean ships go for higher fares--because they are the new ships with unusual and in-demand amenities...Other Royal ships that are older and have few of those amenities can often be found at far lesser fares.

You can never make a blanket statement about the pricing of ANY cruise line that works for all of its ships and all of its sail dates.

LOL John, that is so true! They don't call HA the cue tip cruise for nothing!......K.O......Q-TIP = white hair:')

I was just having a bit of fun.

FWIW, I have sailed several of their DAM ships. When I was younger, so much younger than today.

FWIW, I have sailed several of their DAM ships. When I was younger, so much younger than today.

We have too. But on Hal, most of the ship goes to bed after dinner.....we like the nightlife also.

On one Hal cruise, we watched a comedy show to die for.

About eight people were in the room. We laughed so hard, I could pee. The comedian was Jeff Dunham. He only had Peanut and Walter at the time.....before he was famous!!:D

Edited by Ocean Dancer
added Walter

Nothing like a random Beatles reference.

mac_tlc

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm actually having a hard time comparing my HAL booking to an RCCL equivalent, because RCCL doesn't have this itinerary. That's the main reason we book HAL: for the itineraries.

We switched from the Rhapsody coming back from Australia a few years ago, because HAL left the next day from Honolulu, went to the US West Coast, and was $400 cheaper.