Tipping in the MDRs?

goldie099

Quick question from a new-to-NCL cruiser who has cruised other lines before:

I know that there is a daily charge to each passenger's onboard account that covers tips for waiters, room attendant, etc. However, I generally like to tip extra on top of that amount for great service. Given that we might not have the same waiter each night in the MDR because it's freestyle (versus traditional on other lines I've sailed), if I wanted to tip extra to waiters we have, is it appropriate to do so each night to our waiter/assistant waiter? Usually when I cruise with traditional, set-time dining with the same waiter/assistant waiter, I know I can tip them on the last night of the cruise, but obviously with NCL's Freestyle Cruising, I won't necessarily have the same waiter!

Last year on the Getaway we were lucky enough to be seated on the first evening in an area serviced by an excellent waiter. We were so impressed that we requested, and received, his section throughout the remainder of the cruise. We took very good care of him at the conclusion of our trip.

Morale of the story.... if you encounter a waiter you are impressed with, don't be shy about requesting him on subsequent nights

~Brian

Last year on the Getaway we were lucky enough to be seated on the first evening in an area serviced by an excellent waiter. We were so impressed that we requested, and received, his section throughout the remainder of the cruise. We took very good care of him at the conclusion of our trip.

Morale of the story.... if you encounter a waiter you are impressed with, don't be shy about requesting him on subsequent nights

~Brian

You can also request them for breakfast and lunch. They might be in different sections, so remember their name!

If you don't tip every night you may in fact lose the waiter completely, the wait staff rotate through all dining rooms so they all get the better ones (Specialty) and the "poorer" ones (Buffet). If you see your evening MDR wait staff the following breakfast or lunch in the buffet discuss with them their feelings!!

Depend on what is convenient for you. Either nightly or look for the waiter at 'cruise' last dinner.

Don't count on seeing the same waiter. If they do a great hub, tip them each night.

What really helps the crew at performance review time is to fill out a "Heros" comment card at guest services. It helps them a lot.

We are very bold and always ask to snap a picture of their name tag. Then grab some card and fill them out throughout the cruise. You help them in their careers that way. Along with slipping them a few bucks.

How much are people tipping in MDR vs Specialty ? I ask because the shanghainess and I are doing our anniversary dinner on the Jewel, at Le Bistro, and if we get awesome service, I would like to reward at 2x the normal level.......

We ask the server's name and fill out a Vacation Hero Card for him if the service has been exceptional. Those cards help towards being promoted or other rewards.

That's also a great idea!! Good to know this program exists on NCL.