Upsell offers

SULLJO

This is our second cruise on the Koningsdam (Northern Europe), and both times, we received an upsell to a Neptune Suite (from Signature) five days before sailing! We took both upsells because they seemed reasonable. But we are disappointed by how heavily HAL discounts prices, as the sailing date approaches. This strategy certainly doesn't seem to reward customer loyalty ...
I'd have to agree . This strategy pushes passengers to book lower level cabins and then wait for upsells .

BTW , what is the advantage of a Neptune Suite over a Signature ? They both seem great .

Edited by richstowe

At the present time, all categories except ocean views (obstructed) are sold out according to the HAL website. I know there is a large group (can't remember the exact name) that is occupying a lot of cabins. At the present time we are in an inside cabin --- we wouldn't mind an OV obstructed as it would give us a little light. However, I am not willing to pay a lot of money for this upsell but willing to consider it if it were reasonable. Now, if a balcony were to magically appear at a good price I might entertain that idea. Because we are coming off of a Princess B2B prior to this HAL, I have to consider the $$$.

Same as most of us cruiers have to consider budget, HAL, does as well. Why would they upsell a c abin for a small pric e if they can sell the c abin for higherf $$ ? If the ship is so close to full as you say, they want to make as much on the remaining c abins as possible. Of c ourse, it isn't their worry you are coming off a b -to-b on Princ ess. :D They, as do all businesses, worry ab out their bottom line; not ours. :evilsmile: Same as we prefer to not worry about theirs'.

This is our second cruise on the Koningsdam (Northern Europe), and both times, we received an upsell to a Neptune Suite (from Signature) five days before sailing! We took both upsells because they seemed reasonable. But we are disappointed by how heavily HAL discounts prices, as the sailing date approaches. This strategy certainly doesn't seem to reward customer loyalty ...

I understand your point, but it is not always the case. We booked on the Koningsdam about a year out and got a very good price (IMO). As it got closer to sailing the price kept increasing, bit by bit, until it was more than double what we paid! We were quite happy we booked early.

So, I guess it just depends on how well the cruise is selling.

Just received an upsell offer for the Oosterdam June 11th sailing.

"Upgrade for select bookings from your Signature Suite (Category SS to SZ)to the following best available:Pinnacle Suite (Category PS) for an additional $1,649pp USD/$2,144pp CADNeptune Suite (Category SA to SC) for an additional $499pp USD/$649pp CAD"

$1000 is too much more for an upgrade for me. Plus there are only two handicapped cabins. They are center aft which is my least favorite location. We currently have a Signature Suite with a window that looks out the front that I am excited about. I love to see where we are going!

I hope someone that would like a Neptune also gets this offer.

Daughter & I are on the veendam to Bermuda June 17, Full obstructed OV. Received offer to a Lanai - Took it!!!!!

Husband and I are also on the Veendam to Bermuda June 17, were in a Neptune Suite, received an offer for the Pinnacle Suite - Took it!!!

Sandy

Daughter & I are on the veendam to Bermuda June 17, Full obstructed OV. Received offer to a Lanai - Took it!!!!!

Husband and I are also on the Veendam to Bermuda June 17, were in a Neptune Suite, received an offer for the Pinnacle Suite - Took it!!!

Sandy

Just curious when you received the offer ?

I'm on her the week before and haven't received anything.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just curious when you received the offer ?

I'm on her the week before and haven't received anything.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I received an email at 3:17pm east coast time on 18 May. I was at work and did not see the email until an hour later. Was surprised the suite was still available.

Sandy

We just got off the Noordam May 14 sailing to Alaska. Paid for a Verandah and received an upsell offer 2 weeks before sailing. We were offered a a Signature Suite for $249 USD pp and Neptune Suite for $400 USD pp. We declined as it was more than we wanted to pay. On Wednesday before sailing, we received a 2nd offer of $149 pp for Signature and $199 pp for Neptune. We went with the Neptune Suite and we were very happy we did. :) Our TA told us that she never saw the Neptune Suites as low as the first offer and was urging us to book since they would sell out quickly. We decided not to accept the first offer and we are sure glad we waited since we got a better offer 4 days before we sailed. Of course, it's a gamble since they could have sold out, but for us it paid off! :D BTW we did have the do not upgrade on our reservation. Our TA said that it is better to have that checked since they can move you but she said it wouldn't affect us receiving an upsell and it didn't. We were also able to keep our perks of onboard credit and the drink package.

We just got off the Noordam May 14 sailing to Alaska. Paid for a Verandah and received an upsell offer 2 weeks before sailing. We were offered a a Signature Suite for $249 USD pp and Neptune Suite for $400 USD pp. We declined as it was more than we wanted to pay. On Wednesday before sailing, we received a 2nd offer of $149 pp for Signature and $199 pp for Neptune. We went with the Neptune Suite and we were very happy we did. :) Our TA told us that she never saw the Neptune Suites as low as the first offer and was urging us to book since they would sell out quickly. We decided not to accept the first offer and we are sure glad we waited since we got a better offer 4 days before we sailed. Of course, it's a gamble since they could have sold out, but for us it paid off! :D BTW we did have the do not upgrade on our reservation. Our TA said that it is better to have that checked since they can move you but she said it wouldn't affect us receiving an upsell and it didn't. We were also able to keep our perks of onboard credit and the drink package.

That was very helpful info.Thanks!

I'd have to agree . This strategy pushes passengers to book lower level cabins and then wait for upsells .

BTW , what is the advantage of a Neptune Suite over a Signature ? They both seem great .

The Neptune Suite is larger than the Signature and, has perks that the Signature Suite does not (ie., free laundry, concierge, Neptune lounge, PG breakfast, etc.).

They are both great cabin categories.

The Neptune Suite is larger than the Signature and, has perks that the Signature Suite does not (ie., free laundry, concierge, Neptune lounge, PG breakfast, etc.).

They are both great cabin categories.

The PG breakfast isn't listed on the HAL site. Is that specific to certain cruises?

The PG breakfast isn't listed on the HAL site. Is that specific to certain cruises?

Most ships offer this (Pinnacle Grill), but on some of the older ones the breakfast is in a separate dining area (from the main dining room).

Most ships offer this (Pinnacle Grill), but on some of the older ones the breakfast is in a separate dining area (from the main dining room).
Thanks.....do you know where that is listed on the HAL site? I saw this....

• Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only. I thought this was something served in the suite?

Thanks.....do you know where that is listed on the HAL site? I saw this....

• Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only. I thought this was something served in the suite?

The reference you quoted is referring to the Pinnacle Grill breakfast for Neptune Suite guests on most ships, not a room service breakfast.

On most of the ships the Pinnacle Grill is in an outside location, with windows, so passengers can look out as they sip their coffee.

But on a few ships (the R-class ships), the Pinnacle Grill is an inside, with no windows, dining area. Usually the Neptune Suite guests are seated in an upper area of the dining room on those ships. That way they have a separate, more private area, and windows too!

The reference you quoted is referring to the Pinnacle Grill breakfast for Neptune Suite guests on most ships, not a room service breakfast.

On most of the ships the Pinnacle Grill is in an outside location, with windows, so passengers can look out as they sip their coffee.

But on a few ships (the R-class ships), the Pinnacle Grill is an inside, with no windows, dining area. Usually the Neptune Suite guests are seated in an upper area of the dining room on those ships. That way they have a separate, more private area, and windows too!

Thanks Ruth. I thought they would say "Pinnacle Grill breakfast" in the description if that is what they meant, but I see your point about not always being in that room on some ships.