Here is what we stuffed into the $20 laundry bag

MissJammin

On a tour of the ship; in the laundry room they were reading labels and sorting clothes hot or cold.

We have sent everything and all has come back fine. They even sewed and repaired one of my belt loops one time.

That being said if humans are involved there can be errors. Like the time one of our frequent posters here on CC fond out when his tuxedo was washed vs dry cleaned.:eek:

DH's dress shirts, all kinds of good clothes get sent to laundry and we have been fine.

I think some worries are for naught. I just mark the clothes that need to be in cold as cold with a circle and put a note on the special instructions. Never had a problem.

You can certainly hand wash delicates in the bathroom and there is a line you can extend in the shower to dry clothes.

Thanks, that's helpful.

On a tour of the ship; in the laundry room they were reading labels and sorting clothes hot or cold.

We have sent everything and all has come back fine. They even sewed and repaired one of my belt loops one time.

That being said if humans are involved there can be errors. Like the time one of our frequent posters here on CC fond out when his tuxedo was washed vs dry cleaned.:eek:

I'm good then; tux is staying home.

This is my concern; I can't see putting in dress shirts, or shrinkables (other than older jeans); is doing hand wash of delicates viable In a standard bathroom?

You certainly can hand wash delicates in your bathroom - there's the sink or the tub and a retractable clothes line over the tub/shower.

With the exception of my silk blouse or our formal wear, everything else goes into the laundry bag and only once have we had a shirt of hubby's come back with a broken button. They apologized all over the place for it, and surprisingly found a matching button (it was an unusual colour) that was sewn on and brought back to our cabin. The head of housekeeping came and apologized for the "damage" - which we certainly didn't expect! As far as sending undies out - I've gotten to the point in my life that I don't care if they see my granny panties or not, they're going in the laundry. If they want to make fun of them, have at it. LOL

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Ok, I had to share what DH and I were able to squish into the laundry bag on Zuiderdam last month. I also wanted to note that it was still only $20 [not $30] even though we were sailing in Europe. Perhaps HAL has made all ships prices in line with each other. We would have done it for $30 but at $20 it's really a no-brainer!

5 long-sleeve button-up shirts

1 pair of shorts

7 t-shirts

1 polo shirt

6 undershorts

2 handkerchiefs

7 pairs of socks

Certainly not a record I'm sure but still pretty good. I found, as others states, that rolling the items definitely helps stuff more in. The bag felt like a wrecking ball but it still closed to within 3 inches at the top.

You know you've done a great job of stuffing a laundry bag when the cabin steward throws out his back trying to lift if off the floor of your cabin. LOL We've (read: I) learned about rolling tightly and using every inch of space in those laundry bags over the years. After our next cruise, I won't have to worry about it because we'll be 4 star and won't have to pay for laundry - woo hoo! Oh, the small things that make us cruisers happy!

Is the $20 laundry bag deal available on every HAL ship? We'll be on the Oosterdam in October for 15 nights and wonder if they will offer it.

Yes, there is always a by the bag option on every sailing on every HAL ship. However, cost may depend on where you're sailing. Sometimes, in Europe, the cost is about $30/bag. Some recent reports have advised that it is $20/bag.

I'm not sure why some are $30 and some are $20 so plan for $30 and be pleasantly surprised if it's $20!

This may be a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway. For you "rollers" out there, how exactly do you do it? Do you lay out each item in a stack and then roll the stack and stuff it into the bag, stuffing the socks into the corners? Or do you roll each item and stuff them individually into the bag? Inquiring minds want to know!

Since we get free laundry, I'm not as concerned about stuffing the bag but I'm sure others would like to know the proper technique!

This may be a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway. For you "rollers" out there, how exactly do you do it? Do you lay out each item in a stack and then roll the stack and stuff it into the bag, stuffing the socks into the corners? Or do you roll each item and stuff them individually into the bag? Inquiring minds want to know!

Since we get free laundry, I'm not as concerned about stuffing the bag but I'm sure others would like to know the proper technique!

I lay each piece out flat and roll as tightly as possible before stuffing it into the bag. I can stuff socks and undies in the spaces, making the most of the usable space in the bag.

Smooth Sailing! [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I lay each piece out flat and roll as tightly as possible before stuffing it into the bag. I can stuff socks and undies in the spaces, making the most of the usable space in the bag.

Smooth Sailing! [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the response! I was hoping you would answer as, I believe, you are the laundry bag champion!! Cue Queen's We Are The Champions!

You did well, but I'm pretty sure we've got you beat. After 9 days in Barcelona, we boarded the ship and here's what we managed to squeeze in the blue cloth bag (by rolling so tight they squeeked):

2 pr jeans

2 long sleeve shirts

9 polo / t shirts

11 pr underwear

9 pr socks

1 pr pajamas

for a grand total of 44 pieces.

Good for you. I managed to stuff 34 pieces and thought I had done really well. As someone else said, I also rolled everything. Great deal.

• 10 months later...

3 long sleeve dress shirts

3 pairs of walking shorts (two of which were heaver jersey knit)

5 t-shirts

1 sweater (lightweight cotton)

6 pairs of underwear

9 pairs of socks

Felt like there was room for one more dress shirt or pair of shorts, plus a couple of smaller items, but we ran out of things we needed laundered. Oddly, one pair of socks suffered an unreasonable amount of shrinkage, but all else was fine.

We loved the laundry by the bag option. I was happy to see that Oceania offered 3 free bags on our cruise with them however I was disappointed that you could only put in 20 items. I know I can do better than that!!

We loved the laundry by the bag option. I was happy to see that Oceania offered 3 free bags on our cruise with them however I was disappointed that you could only put in 20 items. I know I can do better than that!!

I would definitely not do socks if each sock were to count as one item. Actually I just bought socks from Dollar Tree for this cruise - they were rather nice for only a dollar, and I could have just left the dirty socks behind if I didn't want to bother having them laundered. :)

We get free laundry now, but I do miss stuffing the bag. We had a game, that each cruise we would get in more clothes than the cruise before and we always beat it without pulling an arm muscle.

Like others have said it was heavy and fit to burst.

Sandra

I love the suggestion that "stuffing the bag"should become a passenger competition...now THAT would be an sea day activity that I would attend! After we stuff the bag, we enjoy taking the laundry list and adding up what we would have paid had we sent our items separately to the laundry. We always hit the $80-$90 range and celebrate our savings with a cocktail (#cruiserituals). And then there is the joy of finding your gift wrapped laundry on the bed when you return from a shore excursion.

Having said all that, what I like best is when I can pack so that there is no need to deal with laundry (although the downside is that it means we are on a shorter cruise), followed by the option to do my own laundry on the ship.

• 1 year later...