Planning Fatigue- where do I start?

skatermegs

Okay, I am getting to that point where life is crazy, and I need some help!

I am planning a cruise for hubby's 40th birthday as a surprise. The cruise is in October, and is 11 days in Europe! YAY! That, I have booked. But now, I am trying to plan flights there, a hotel for a few days in Rome before, tours and activities, transportation to and from the airport, a hotel here for the night before, and I admit it,I am completely overwhelmed. His birthday is in July, and I want to have it all set up so I can present it to him all put together and share our plans. For the first time, I am seriously considering a travel agent, just so I can find someone who can probably get a better deal then I can, and take some of the burden.

But I don't even know where to start to find one!

So, suggestions, ideas, anything! Feel free to message me, or just make suggestions here that will help. I have never been to Italy, so I have nothing to build from!

What an exciting surprise!!

We can't recommend TAs here (against CC guidelines), but for something like this, I would look for one in your town rather than an online. If there are still brick and mortar TAs! LOL.

One thing that would help is to look at your roll call and see if anything is planned there. Maybe you can sign up for some excursions or transport to the port, etc., through your roll call. I'm doing a cruise out of Rome in Sept and my roll call has several tours set up that you could just add your name to if you were you on my sailing, If you expand my signature, you'll see a link there to our planning spreadsheet for tours--each tour is described and then there's a place to sign up. If your roll call isn't active, you can probably get a lot of ideas from other roll calls for the same itinerary. Also, of course, the Ports of Call subforums are very helpful for planning--you just need to do some searching.

I use Excel to plan and create a spreadsheet for the activities I'm planning so I can keep them all straight and organized. I just go step by step. First the cruise, then I figure out how many pre-cruise days and find my hotel. Then I plan my activities and book what i need to for the pre-cruise days. Then I start on the cruise. Just one step at a time. Breathe deeply. You can do this!!

Well, Rome is on my to do list but not yet, however, here's a link to CC's Italian forum which might help you. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

I'd also recommend that you chill... relax... you've got time. Make a list and check each item off as you go, it'll help you feel you're achieving what needs to be done. There are lots of websites that offer great info but the two I use most often are CC and Tripadvisor. You can search for almost anything including transportation such as shuttles, Uber, taxis.. just look.

Hope this helps, relax, it's going to be a great cruise.

For information on Italy the PBS guy named Rick Steves as great books and dvds. For airport transfers NCL can help and add on. Also ask NCL if the have precruise packages for say 3 nights.

good luck.

Actually, Rick Steves has a Mediterranean Cruise Ports guide book. The Rome section is almost lifted in total from his Italy book. Most of the ports that NCL goes to would probably be covered in the book.

OP, the group on the Italy Port Board can help with hotel selection and recommendations for transfers. And, as suggested earlier, the roll call is a great place to find less expensive small group tours in ports. TripAdvisor is a great place to start a search of hotels.

Just take things one at a time and you can do it! Earlier this year we spent three weeks in Southeast Asia on an independent trip, involving 5 countries and 11 flight segments. I can relate to your feeling, it seemed insurmountable to plan at first...but I kept chipping away at the planning, city by city and it all fell into place.

We did a trip like that a few years ago. Think you've created more 'to do' items in your head than you really have.

1. Plane tickets - fly in a few days ahead

2. Pre-cruise hotel - tons of hotel searching websites. Just look for something central on a piazza or square. Main thing is don't expect hotels there to offer the same amenities as hotels here. Elevators are uncommon. Rooms and bathrooms will be smaller. In room 'coffee maker' usually means 'espresso maker'; etc.

Don't think a TA will offer more advice or better pricing than the internet on those.

You don't need tours of the city once you get to Rome. It's a very walkable city with lots of guide books available. Def go to the colosseum - pre book a tour there to skip the line. Go the the roman forum, the Vatican, and walk the city.

You'll want to use a taxi to go from airport to hotel. The pier is a good distance from the city center and can be done via train or a shuttle service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is not that hard to do on your own.

Try flights.google.com to get an idea of flights available. Many carriers are running specials right now. I would assume you would fly from Seatle - but check on Vancouver.

Hotels in Rome - tons of them in the area between central train station and the Coliseum. You can walk to lots of things then.

Three cheers to you for doing extra day.

We did Rome to Barcelona with extra days on each end recently. See link below.

Yes, you can call NCL, but transfers and extra days will be expensive.

Ok here is how I doit

Do nothing until after final payment

Get flights once cruise is paid in full

Arrive a few days early to get over jetlag and to visit ..3 days prior is good

Arrange transportation pick up at the airport to your hotel .find hotel in a convenient area ...go to hotel sites for that

Arrange pick up to go to port

Research where ou are going and plan your days ...pace yourself

Read , read .read about the places you are visiting ...che k films on youtube etcetc etc

Go on roll call ...join others in private tours

Relax

Think of clothing what you have what you need

Take it easy go enjoy your cruise

I recommend packing cubes ..if it fits in it comes if not it stays home

Good luck

We've used AAA travel agency for almost all of our cruises, 2 of them Mediterranean cruises, one out of Barcelona, our recent one this past October out of Rome (Civitaveccia). You should definitely use a TA. They will take your already booked reservation, usually you'll get on board credit from the TA, and let them make your airline reservations. Make sure you get travel insurance! As someone else posted, join your Roll Call. Many experienced people on your RC love to set up Excursions! We enjoyed every excursion we did with our group. Not to mention the value of going with them as opposed to the expensive ship excursions.

We also shared transportation to/from the airport to hotels and to the Port with this group!

Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

We just returned from Rome yesterday. We used Uber to/from airport (no plan needed, just have the ap set up). We did a night tour at the Coliseum and it was awesome and not crowded at that time.

....Go on roll call ...join others in private tours

Relax

Think of clothing what you have what you need ...

We did our RTW trip and last two cruises with Carryon Only. Really - not hard.

Airfare you have time to plan and research - maybe plan on going a day extra for a better deal or knocking a day off but never

arriving the day of the cruise !

Think close is like horseshoes - Airport - any airport in Europe and taking a train the final leg to the port city and your cruise.

Non-Stop flights to your destination are great but maybe more expensive look at making a connection at one of the large

European hubs - Amsterdam - Paris - Frankfort - Rome - maybe Madrid - Avoid London unless using the train - excessive

taxing and fees. Also avoid air travel in the eastern political areas of unrest with additional restrictions on baggage customs.

Note the new restrictions on Ipads Laptops Tablets items larger than cell phones and checking items with Lithium batteries.

You have time:

Don't buy the air tickets until you have made the 90 day Final Payment to the cruise line.

Airline tickets after 24 hours become non-refundable and have excessive change fees for alterations.

And tours booked prior to the 90 days make sure that they are refundable if plans change.

In any event travel insurance is advised but not an absolute must - check with your insurance agent

or TA if using that source to see which works best for you. Note the medical provisions and other

exclusions inclusions to weight the merits of actual or potential use - age may play a significant factor here.

TAs - member of an affinity organization that helps you when your car has trouble on the highway - use their travel service.

These folks have often been where you want to go know what you may encounter and what to avoid - and for hotels check

out the variety of web sites that offer bargain rate and comparisons or one specifically that compares all the sites.

I am not mentioning any of these by name as CC forbids commercial advertisements - but if you watch TV you will know the

ones I am referring to !

Guide books may be of help - Go to a book store or library and see what they have to offer.

Read in newspapers or travel periodicals for idea hints suggestions.

Travel to Europe this summer is going to be awful heavy (is it any other way) ?

Consider travel in a group for a better deal but maybe losing some independence in personal activity !

Realize that a 7 to 10 day trip is only going to scratch the surface of all the places to go things to do

unless you are confining your one trip to a specific port area. Get the most for your dollar.

Read on here at CC for more and better ways to enhance your cruising experience - what to pack -

how to pack - clothes and laundry - SXs - beverages and dining packages - spas - and whatever

floats the boat you are going to be on !

After all this the cruise will be delightful respite far from the maddening planning stage !

As to flights, make sure you do not book on Alitalia (and if you book on Delta make sure it's not a codeshare with Alitalia). It's in extreme financial difficulties and operations are continuing because of a short term loan from the Italian government.

After September it's future is uncertain.

If looking for a hotel, look at Mercure Roma Colosseum. We stayed there pre cruise in 2015 and it was excellent, reasonably priced and good location. Nice roof top bar and pool with views of the Colosseum.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You all are fantastic! If anything, it makes me a little more sure I can do it!

We are travelling from a tiny town in Indiana (I need to update my location!) so we will have a long drive to a real airport before we go. So my rough plan is:

Day 1- home to Chicago (or St. Louis, Nashville, or Indianapolis, but Chicago usually has the best prices) Stay the night at a park and fly hotel.

Day 2- Fly to Rome (looking at a possible 20 hr layover in Dublin, which sounds find of fun!)

Day 3-5 Explore Rome

Day 6 Board Cruise

Day 7-17 Cruise

Day 17 Fly home

I am hoping we can fly home the same day we disembark, because we will be using up all our vacation time as it is!

I have joined my Roll Call, it is pretty quiet thus far.

Thank you for the hotel recommendations, I will ask for a few more on the Italy board.

I am holding off on booking airfare for now, but why should I wait until after final payment? Can things change? (I have cruised some, but never had an itinerary change dramatically).

Keep the advice coming, it helps!

Your plan seems fine, however, if it was me, I wouldn't wait any longer to book your flights. Your flights are one of the major concerns when travelling overseas. Check out the prices, avoid Alitalia flights, and get the best price you can. The prices will only go up going forward. That's just my opinion but at least check out the prices.

Enjoy your cruise,

I don't wait until after final payment to book air. I don't know why that suggestion was made. I monitor air fare by setting alerts and when it drops to a fare I'm comfortable with, I book it. I rarely change my travel dates once I've chosen a cruise, so it's doesn't feel like a risk to me. For my Western Med cruise this fall, the fare dropped to $422 RT from PDX to Rome (FCO). I'm used to paying three times that much, so I snapped it up! That was about 10 months out. At that point I wasn't sure how many days I was going to spend pre-cruise so I had to make a quick decision! But I was good with that with that good of a price!

I went on Trip Advisor and checked out all of the ports and hotels after reading many reviews and advice posts on CC. I also read Rick Steves books for each country which I borrowed from the library. Since you are giving your husband the gift in July he may or may not enjoy choosing what you will do on both the pre-cruise and cruise excursions. Enjoy!

I am planning a cruise for hubby's 40th birthday as a surprise. The cruise is in October, and is 11 days in Europe! YAY! That, I have booked. But now, I am trying to plan flights there, a hotel for a few days in Rome before, tours and activities, transportation to and from the airport, a hotel here for the night before, and I admit it,I am completely overwhelmed. His birthday is in July, and I want to have it all set up so I can present it to him all put together and share our plans. For the first time, I am seriously considering a travel agent, just so I can find someone who can probably get a better deal then I can, and take some of the burden.

So, suggestions, ideas, anything! Feel free to message me, or just make suggestions here that will help. I have never been to Italy, so I have nothing to build from!

you need to get your flights and insurance in place first.

When it comes to hotels, go on any of the major internet hotel booking sites and look for something central and within your budget. Check the reviews before booking and try to get something cancellable in case you see a bargain nearer the time.

Read trip reviews and listen to Rick Steves podcasts. W used some of his audio guides in Rome for St Peters and Trastevere.

You do not need a guide in Rome - but plan for lots of walking, it is a wonderful city to explore with a guide book. Don't overplan because you cannot see everything if you enjoy it you will want to go back and see things you missed. I am planning Med cruise number seven and still have things to see!

October is a great time to go becUse you will not experience the blazing heat of the summer.

Recommend "Rome in Limo" for tours in italy - go to romeinlimo.com.

Hotel - Rome - Hotel Sonya - they have a web site. Reasonable, clean, good location.

48 euros for taxi to rome from airport.

Try Scott'sflights.com to sign up for fare sale notification.

Google transportation from hotel to port or go to your roll call on CC and see if anyone is looking for added people for van to port.

If you would like more info you could email me - judith.hecht@comcast.net.

Good luck and have fun! Taking Epic out of Barcelona with 2 teens on June 4.

Another thing, with flights and hotels....search wherever, but book directly at the source... with the actual airline website or hotel website. If things go sideways, there is no middleman. This is particularly important with air.

Rick Steves, Rick Steves, Rick Steves.

I am so happy to see him mentioned on here. I've found my people! I love his traveling philosophy (in fact, as I prepare for my first ever cruise where I don't have to take a flight - it is difficult for me to remember that I don't have to worry about carry on only!)

I would suggest getting his books for Italy, and wherever you are going (or are all 11 days on land going to be spent in Italy?)

I used Rick Steves and Trip Advisor exclusively for my 21 day trip to Europe in 2005 (heading back in 2018, and will use them again). Read these before booking anything for your land stuff. Some tours etc. can wait until you get there. Rick often suggests locally owned day tour companies.

My best and favorite in the entire 21 days was one he suggested for Rome. Roman Odyssey, I think. They offered a free tour through the Basilica (at least they did in 2005) and then if we were impressed, we paid for the tour through the Vatican/Museum & Sistine Chapel (they were so confident that their tour would be worthwhile - you bought your own ticket to the museum, and if you weren't enjoying the tour, you could leave it - you paid the guide at the end). Everyone stayed until the end, and THEN we asked the young college student what we could do with the company the next day, and he met us at the Coliseum and Forum. It is a tour and group we still talk about and recommend 12 years later.

Honestly, pick a couple of options that can wait, and wrap up those brochures or print out of info into the gift... he might have a "dream tour idea" of something he would like to do in Italy (a cooking class, wine tasting, underground tour, sitting in the sun loving "La Dolce Vita" enjoying gelato with you, etc.)