Cruising from New York

The Bermuda season IS May to October, but I see the Anthem is scheduled for 12/06/18.

Tell them not to wear Bermuda shorts.....Brrrrr

I was planning a Bermuda family cruise on the Anthem for Easter '19 as the airfare prices are out of this world and then I went to AccuWeather and saw the average temp for mid-April(not swimming weather) and decided against it.

I was planning a Bermuda family cruise on the Anthem for Easter '19 as the airfare prices are out of this world and then I went to AccuWeather and saw the average temp for mid-April(not swimming weather) and decided against it.

We sailed one year in mid May and the temp was pushing 60:eek:

Wow ,

The Welsh are a pretty hardy race so not overly concerned about the temperatures in New York just didn't want to spend 2-3 days indoors on board.

Bob

The temperatures are not that bad in January. In the past 2 years there were only 9 days in January in which the high temp was sub freezing. There were 28 days that had a high in the 40's another 8 days of 50 plus and another 2 days that were in the 60's.

Enjoy your visit and your stay!

We're taking the 12 night Anthem on Feb. 25, 2018. It will be our first time out of NJ. Was worried a bit about the weather and did look at Celebrity 11 and 14 night cruises, but didn't care to take out a 2nd mortgage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi All,

I am looking at a cruise from New York to the Caribbean in January 2018.

The itinerary is great and would be great to spend a few days in New York pre cruise.

However ,as its January I am concerned about the weather. There's 3 sea days to start , the first of which is likely to be freezing but not sure what to expect after that.

If anyone can can give us any info on what to expect that would be great.

Cheers

Bob.

I have liven in NY all my life and the majority of the years in NYC .I can vividly recall many years that had hot weather in January and frigid weather in March.

I have cruised from New York, but I personally would never do it in January. There could be BIG problems with weather hindering embarkation/disembarkation. I can understand wanting to spend a few days in NYC, but I don't know if January is a pleasant time to enjoy being in the city. But this is only my opinion. Many people do cruise from NYC year round, and the cruise lines would not be offering it if they could not get enough passengers to make it profitable. When I have cruised from any eastern US port, it seems that most of the people I meet have driven to the ship.

I don't think this is historically true. I think it is a rare exception when there's a storm so bad it hinders the ships departure or arrival. NYC gets storms cleaned up quickly and well. It would take an epic storm. Your most likely scenario is 1 1/2 cold days on either end. Pick a ship built for the cold with indoor pools and activities (like Anthem) and it'll be fine.

Coming from the Canada I never thought about the bad weather on my Jan 15 QUantum cruise. Luckily I had my winter jacket packed so I walked on the deck the first 2 days pretty much by myself. I had my parka on and shorts :) it was 3 or 4 degress C so not that bad. But yes spend a couple of day (s)exploring Anthem and when the corner is turned and your in the caribbean its worth it!!

The weather in January, at Cape Liberty can be brutal. We have sailed 6 times out of Cape Liberty, 4 of them to the Caribbean. By day 3 morning the weather will improve, when you are south of North Carolina. But going north the weather will deteriorate quickly when you pass Cape Hatteras. Sail away will be cold, and day two is Solarium weather.

We cruise from Cape Liberty because we live in New England and no flights are required to the port. As you probably noticed Cape Liberty is always more expensive, even in January. So weigh your flight costs and how anxious you are to see NYC.

Lastly I would give yourself a good cushion flying into NJ or NY. Snow could cause major delays.

Overall, it's not so bad. Just expect cold at Cape Liberty and you will be fine. Good Luck.

I don't think this is historically true. I think it is a rare exception when there's a storm so bad it hinders the ships departure or arrival. NYC gets storms cleaned up quickly and well. It would take an epic storm. Your most likely scenario is 1 1/2 cold days on either end. Pick a ship built for the cold with indoor pools and activities (like Anthem) and it'll be fine.

Sailed both Quantum and Explorer on days where NJ received 10+ inches snow. Both times the ship sailed on time. Last September cruised from Bayonne into hurricane Hermine and ship sailed two hours early.

Newark airport however shut down on all three occasions and took several days to resume normal service. A fair number of folks flying in didn't make ship (including Journey tribute band who never caught up to us) and those disembarking ahead of us with flights out had to scramble for hotels.