Passport with maiden name

Directly copied and pasted from Carnivals FAQ:

Names on Travel Documentation

It is important that the guest's full name on the cruise and airline tickets be the same as the guest's non-expired government-issued photo I.D. they plan to use for travel identification. In the event of a different name on the cruise/airline ticket and the guest's photo I.D. as a result of a marriage, divorce or a legal name change, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate, marriage license or legal name change court document. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denial of boarding.

We have a friend cruising with us for her first cruise this summer. Her passport has her maiden name and her driver's license has her married name. Will she need a copy of her marriage certificate?

I think she has 3 options:

1. Book in her maiden name to match the passport

2.Get the passport updated

3.If it's a closed loop cruise just use drivers license and birth certificate.(probably bring the marriage license as a bridging document)

Bill

My advice would be to call Carnival and ask. We ran into this on our honeymoon, and I ended up having the travel agent book everything using my maiden name until I had time to legally change everything over. That would seem to be the simplest solution here too.

My advice would be to call Carnival and ask. We ran into this on our honeymoon, and I ended up having the travel agent book everything using my maiden name until I had time to legally change everything over. That would seem to be the simplest solution here too.

Agree. Better to call CCL.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

She needs to use one or the other.... if both DL & PP are still valid, then use which ever the cruise is booked in.

You did not say what itinerary? Caribbean closed loop?? And which name is the cruise booked in?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Directly copied and pasted from Carnivals FAQ:

Names on Travel Documentation

It is important that the guest's full name on the cruise and airline tickets be the same as the guest's non-expired government-issued photo I.D. they plan to use for travel identification. In the event of a different name on the cruise/airline ticket and the guest's photo I.D. as a result of a marriage, divorce or a legal name change, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate, marriage license or legal name change court document. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denial of boarding.

Really wish I knew this before dropping my wife's passport in the mail literally six hours ago. I guess we would have had to update it anyway. And at least we are three months out of our cruise. Thanks for the information! :cool:

No disrespect meant to anyone that says call Carnival but I would trust the Carnival site more than the (not very well trained) customer service reps that answer the phone.

The running joke is always call Carnival 5 times and get 5 different answers.

If you abide by what they publish on the own FAQ section you would have a very good argument when checking in if you have problems.

If you call and ask what are you going to say at check in? I call and the lady said this would work.

And while Carnival in no way is TSA or Customs, I am confident they will provide accurate information on their web site especially with such a common issue.

Just remember the Passport serves as you photo ID and proof of citizenship. IF you use a drivers license as your photo ID you will need a birth certificate to prove citizenship. Usually they use the date of birth to link the two document but certainly it is within the scope of possibilities that they ask for a bridging document of marriage license

No disrespect meant to anyone that says call Carnival but I would trust the Carnival site more than the (not very well trained) customer service reps that answer the phone.

The running joke is always call Carnival 5 times and get 5 different answers.

If you abide by what they publish on the own FAQ section you would have a very good argument when checking in if you have problems.

If you call and ask what are you going to say at check in? I call and the lady said this would work.

And while Carnival in no way is TSA or Customs, I am confident they will provide accurate information on their web site especially with such a common issue.

Just remember the Passport serves as you photo ID and proof of citizenship. IF you use a drivers license as your photo ID you will need a birth certificate to prove citizenship. Usually they use the date of birth to link the two document but certainly it is within the scope of possibilities that they ask for a bridging document of marriage license

If you use the drivers license as proof of ID then the Passport is presented as proof of citizenship, there is no need to bring the birth cert. Having the marriage certificate is one of those better safe than sorry things and we always brought ours even though we were never asked for it (when we did cruise with DL/birth cert).

I love that all the advice given is all over the place. No one ever really touches on the obvious.

A person has only one legal name. Only one. So all ID must reflect that legal name. The decision at marriage is to decide what legal name you want. After marriage, (or divorce or adoption), you must update your name on all official government documents (DL, Passport, Social Security, and/or any other government ID). Traveling under your "old" name is kind of traveling under falsehoods. Now most likely this is not a problem, but in this day of age, it will place a flag on you.

I'm glad the poster is making the appropriate correction. Carnival is not the source of info, nor are the random boards giving out all kinds of advice.

If newly weds, and today is your wedding, and the next day you are getting on the ship, you should have booked in your name at time of booking. Your "legal" name change will occur when all your documents are submitted. (although you certainly can call yourself Mr. and Mrs. on the ship).

I love that all the advice given is all over the place. No one ever really touches on the obvious.

A person has only one legal name. Only one. So all ID must reflect that legal name. The decision at marriage is to decide what legal name you want. After marriage, (or divorce or adoption), you must update your name on all official government documents (DL, Passport, Social Security, and/or any other government ID). Traveling under your "old" name is kind of traveling under falsehoods. Now most likely this is not a problem, but in this day of age, it will place a flag on you.

I'm glad the poster is making the appropriate correction. Carnival is not the source of info, nor are the random boards giving out all kinds of advice.

If newly weds, and today is your wedding, and the next day you are getting on the ship, you should have booked in your name at time of booking. Your "legal" name change will occur when all your documents are submitted. (although you certainly can call yourself Mr. and Mrs. on the ship).

I missed the part where the OP said they are making the appropriate correction. Where is that posted at?

So if you use your maiden name to match your passport you get flagged? Who flags you and why?

Bill

With the passport, she doesn't need to use her DL for boarding ID. She should bring it to take ashore, as it's easier to carry than a passport!

However, the booking should match the name on the PASSPORT!

No one gives a flying fig if they're married or not.

With the passport, she doesn't need to use her DL for boarding ID. She should bring it to take ashore, as it's easier to carry than a passport!

However, the booking should match the name on the PASSPORT!

No one gives a flying fig if they're married or not.

If I am understanding it correctly her married name is on her DL and that is the name the booking is in. Her passport is in her maiden name.

If I am understanding it correctly her married name is on her DL and that is the name the booking is in. Her passport is in her maiden name.

After all these posts and you are correct we do not have clear info on the most important piece of info. I'm also not quite sure this is a question about a cruise already booked or thinking about booking :confused:

A new US passport costs $110-140. Only when you are changing your name within 12 months of the issue date of your previous passport do they make a name change at no charge. For everyone else, even if you have 8+ years left on your passport, you have to pay the new fee in its entirety. It's like you are applying for another passport - while letting them keep 8 years' worth of previously-paid fees. Hardly budget- and customer-friendly.

My passport is in my old name. My driver's license is in my new name. I fly with my new-name driver's license and am booked on Carnival under my old name (and show my passport). I do carry a notarized, finalized marriage license to piece the two together but, so far, no one has asked to see it.

Carnival told me they are unable to change my name (I'm well into Gold nights-at-sea now) while my passport name does not match. So for another several years I will be cruising under my "old" name.

I missed the part where the OP said they are making the appropriate correction. Where is that posted at?

So if you use your maiden name to match your passport you get flagged? Who flags you and why?

Bill

The poster husband said he mailed the passport in, and he was 3 months away. There are many laws in many different states and countries. Remember, your passport is used as an ID to "enter" a country. Although I don't pretend to know all the laws, I do know laws exist that mandate you to update your government issued ID's within a certain time frame. Like in my state, a name change must be made on a DL within 30 days. So it is reasonable to assume your government issued passport must reflect your "legal" name which became legal when you changed it on your marriage certificate.

Now with all the heightened security for just about anyplace you go, do you really not want a document that is not updated? You enter Mexico, and produce your passport as Jane Smith after you got arrested for public intoxication. They pull up your info, and find out you are Jane Jones. Looks suspicious. Who are you, is your ID forgery? What is going on?

Look, the passport is the most important document in your possession why international travel. It must be right, with the correct info. If it is not, you can be flagged for additional review.

I would never go with an incorrect passport anywhere outside of the country. Too many things can go wrong.

The poster husband said he mailed the passport in, and he was 3 months away. There are many laws in many different states and countries. Remember, your passport is used as an ID to "enter" a country. Although I don't pretend to know all the laws, I do know laws exist that mandate you to update your government issued ID's within a certain time frame. Like in my state, a name change must be made on a DL within 30 days. So it is reasonable to assume your government issued passport must reflect your "legal" name which became legal when you changed it on your marriage certificate.

Now with all the heightened security for just about anyplace you go, do you really not want a document that is not updated? You enter Mexico, and produce your passport as Jane Smith after you got arrested for public intoxication. They pull up your info, and find out you are Jane Jones. Looks suspicious. Who are you, is your ID forgery? What is going on?

Look, the passport is the most important document in your possession why international travel. It must be right, with the correct info. If it is not, you can be flagged for additional review.

I would never go with an incorrect passport anywhere outside of the country. Too many things can go wrong.

I guess from your response that you are referring to redstapler7's response.

That is not the OP which has not come back to the thread since they posted.

Bill

If you are talking about post #7 I don't think that has any relation to the OP. In any event it's a personal decision to make whether to renew early or not and for closed loop cruises I don't think it matters all that much.

She should get a new passport. Otherwise, it is probably easiest to book in her maiden name. My sister has been married 6 years, hasn't bothered to get her passport changed (she is waiting for it to expire), so she still books cruises in her maiden name.

The poster husband said he mailed the passport in, and he was 3 months away.

Just to clear things up I am the OP but I am not her husband, I didn't mail her passport in, and we are not 3 months away.

She is booked under her married name and her passport has her maiden name.

She left her passport with me so I could fill out the online check in and I panicked when I saw the last name. After I talked to her I realized this is not her first cruise. In fact she cruise on Carnival 2 years ago, booked under her married name and used this same passport plus her marriage license and had no problems at all.

Thanks for all the responses but I think we have a definitive answer now.

She should get a new passport. Otherwise, it is probably easiest to book in her maiden name. My sister has been married 6 years, hasn't bothered to get her passport changed (she is waiting for it to expire), so she still books cruises in her maiden name.

Has she been flagged yet?

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sorry for any confusion that I (redstapler7) may have caused! I am not related to anyone as OP previously mentioned. It was just a coincidence that OP posted about something that my wife and I were just prepping for.

Happy cruising!