Spring 2018 transatlantic questions; Koningsdam vs Rotterdam, opinions welcome.

Triumph428

Hello everyone, I am here to ask a few questions and also get your opinions on two transatlantic cruises HA is offering up next spring.

First let me tell you a little about ourselves, my wife and I are in our early 30's and are relatively new to cruising. We just returned from our 3rd cruise and first transatlantic which was on the Celebrity Silhouette from Ft. Lauderdale to Amsterdam. We absolutely loved it, the ship was beautiful, we enjoyed the itinerary (Lisbon, Le Havre, Zeebrugge, Amsterdam) the food was fantastic and we enjoyed our fellow passengers very much. We are not into the nightlife on a cruise (we took one carnival cruise and while we did have a good time, it was definitely geared more to the party scene then we desire) but instead we place more value in a good meal, a good drink, informative lectures and just a more docile environment.

I am currently researching our next cruise which we would like to be another Transatlantic which brought me to these two Holland America crossings.

First is The ms Rotterdam leaving Tampa on April the 15th heading to Key West, Bermuda, Ponta Delgada, Brest, Cherbourge, Zeebrugge and docking in Rotterdam. The itinerary looks great and seems to visit a fair number of spots for a TA.

The second option is the Koningsdam leaving Ft. Lauderdale on March the 28th heading to Horta, Ponta Delgada, Malaga, Cartagena and docking in Rome, This itinerary, while not as intriguing as the Rotterdams is also appealing to us even though it has fewer stops.

Right off the bat I think i would prefer the itinerary of the Rotterdam but my main concern is how we are going to like the ship coming from our two cruises on The S- Class celebrity ships, which i think the Koningsdam would be more similar to. As you can tell I'm in need of some help. I'm open to any any all suggestions and look forward to hearing your opinions.

Thank you,

Ryan

We just got off the Rotterdam less than a month ago and did a Transatlantic along with another cruise on her.

Rotterdam is one of the two flagships of HAL. The art on her is beautiful and yes, she has nicer itineraries than the larger ships.

We found the service very good, the Adagio and BBKings excellent and with Stryker on board at the piano, need I say anymore?

Food was good and Rotterdam has the new pizza spot which many enjoyed.

Now, all that being said, she is not going to have the amenities of the Koningsdam being a smaller ship.

Koningsdam has a lot more dining venues and is quite different from the R ships.

If you like shiny and new and you like Celebrity then probably the Koningsdam would appeal to you more I am thinking.

If you don't mind trying something different, your Rotterdam itinerary is much nicer and there is a definite appeal on the smaller ships but it is not for everyone.

Us? We'll sail the smaller ships while they are around. Service on the Rotterdam beat the larger ship experience for us and the crew was absolutely fabulous.

If you prefer similar (and I don't blame you), then go with the Koningsdam IMO.

Thank you so much for your input, I truly think we would enjoy both of them. I like the thought of the smaller ship and the better itinerary, but my wife likes the thought of the bigger ship. While it would probably make more sense to just pick the trip on the Koningsdam due to it being similar to what we are used to i think we would be happy with either option. Thank you again

I've sailed both ships and much prefer the Koningsdam. We find the Rotterdam just that bit too small and I think on a Transatlantic I'd start to feel a bit hemmed in a ship that small. Just my opinion however so I'd go with what you feel you'd be comfortable with ...

OP: I can't help you with the two HAL ship comparisons (but I will say that the Silhouette is a stunningly beautiful ship, our favorite, so that's a high bar), but having sailed a number of TAs, I wanted to throw out some other considerations.

When we pick a TA, one thing that's important to us is the European city where we disembark (or embark, depending on the direction), as we like to spend a few days at least visiting. I don't know which way that may cut for you in terms of your two choices (if at all).

We love sea days, the more the better.

We're not big fans of TAs that have port calls in Florida, the Bahamas, or Bermuda, which can easily be visited on east coast cruises. But that's us, YMMV.

Enjoy whatever you decide!

I've sailed on both. The R-class are my favorite ships, and the Rotterdam in particular (I, for one, like the Retreat in place of the Sea View pool, but I know I'm in a minority). I like the smaller number of passengers, and the resulting smaller pressure on crowding in ports, etc.

That being said, Koningsdam has some unique spaces, like Sel de Mer and Blend.

In your position, I'd opt for the Rotterdam.

Thank you everyone for the help and suggestions, I think right now we are probably leaning towards the Koningsdam, primarily due to the fact of it just being a bigger ship. My wife is more susceptible to getting seasick than most and is somewhat afraid of the smaller ship simply due to this reason.

The final destinations are both desirable but Rome would be a new experience for both of us and I can easily see spending a few extra days there.

Thank you again for all of your input, it is greatly appreciated and the more research I do the more I feel we would enjoy the HAL product.

Thank you everyone for the help and suggestions, I think right now we are probably leaning towards the Koningsdam, primarily due to the fact of it just being a bigger ship. My wife is more susceptible to getting seasick than most and is somewhat afraid of the smaller ship simply due to this reason.

The final destinations are both desirable but Rome would be a new experience for both of us and I can easily see spending a few extra days there.

Thank you again for all of your input, it is greatly appreciated and the more research I do the more I feel we would enjoy the HAL product.

Just a word of warning - a bigger ship does NOT guarantee a smoother ride. Bigger, is not always better ;) In fact, the smaller ships (like the Rotterdam) that were made to sail the oceans may well have the smoother ride.

The bigger newer ships were not built primarily to sail the oceans.

Hoping King Neptune smiles on you and you have a great first HAL cruise.

Rome is amazing and I do hope you get to spend at least a few days there.

BTW, the Ports of Call/Italy subforum has tons of info re hotels, sights, transportation, etc. A really good resource.

Enjoy your TA!

from Tampa and stopping in K West, Bermuda and Azores make the transatlantic a nice broken trip. So it really isn't a long stretch at sea. I liked the new ideas on the K but did a transatlantic on the Prinsendam and enjoyed the smallest of the HAL fleet ships but I do think a young couple would like the K. I would go for the itinerary on the Rotterdam but.............................

:D

from Tampa and stopping in K West, Bermuda and Azores make the transatlantic a nice broken trip. So it really isn't a long stretch at sea. I liked the new ideas on the K but did a transatlantic on the Prinsendam and enjoyed the smallest of the HAL fleet ships but I do think a young couple would like the K. I would go for the itinerary on the Rotterdam but.............................

This pretty much perfectly sums up how are feeling. I honestly think we could pick either one and at the end say we made the right choice.:D

We were on the Konningsdam for two weeks (Norway) last Summer. I mostly loved the ship. Pros: Dutch Cafe, good entertainment options. We especially loved Lincoln Center classical concerts and the BB King Blues club at night.

We had and Outside cabin and it was very nice. There is a great flat screen TV with a large selection of on-demand content.

The cons were the lack of a good library and the wrap around deck. There is no room for deck chairs and in some places it is too narrow for two walkers to pass each other.

The buffet was great and the MDR was great. We would gladly sail her again.

Whatever you choose will be great. Just take lots of reading to catch up on. I always load up my Kindle and iPad before sailing.

OP:

We're not big fans of TAs that have port calls in Florida, the Bahamas, or Bermuda, which can easily be visited on east coast cruises. But that's us, YMMV.

Enjoy whatever you decide!

What is "YMMV?"

• 2 weeks later...

I just got off the Rotterdam April 29, 2017 on a 29 day cruise from FLL-ROT. The Rotterdam is a smaller vessel that the Koningsdam but the fastest vessel in the fleet at 25 knots.

I've been on a number of HAL vessels but l like the Rotterdam, it only holds 1400 vs Koningsdam at 2600.

I enjoyed the Rotterdam so much that I've booked the April 15 2018, 29 day cruise back to Rotterdam Holland again.

For us, the itinerary rules. The advantages of the two ships have been largely mentioned, but I would add that the smaller the ship the less congestion, difficulty in getting on and off ship, shorter lines, etc. The larger ships have the added amenities, (added restaurants, music venues, updated room media) and are newer. But for a transatlantic trip, either class will give you the best ride possible. Any ship will be uncomfortable in a strong gale, and any of HAL's ships will give you a smooth, stable ride in normal weather conditions. There's a lot of debate on this forum about the disign of the new ships, with the one thing that can effect longer cruises on the bigger ships: the "promenade" deck isn't conducive to easy strolling or power walking, nor can it accommodate deck chairs. If you plan to be inside anyway, then it doesn't matter.

We have done two transatlantics on the Koningsdam and absolutely loved the ship. There are things on the Koningsdam that are not on any of the other HAL ships so there will be lots for you to experience. The food was the best of any cruise we have done. The World stage is something to see. The specialty restaurants give you lots of choice of where to dine. You must try the dinner at the culinary arts center - great food and fun. There were guest lecturers on both the transatlantics, and they were very good and they were always well attended.

We would definitely love to do another transatlantic cruise as we loved the sea days, and Koningsdam would be a great choice.

If you do this cruise, and haven't been to Rome, you must stay there for at least 5 or 6 days. Longer would be even better. There is so much to see and experience.

Our first time we stayed 5 days prior to the cruise and saw most of the major sites plus did a day tour to Tuscany. The most recent time we stayed 6 days after our cruise and revisited our favourite spots and did a day tour to Pompeii and Sorrento.

I'm sure you would enjoy either cruise. Have a great trip whatever you pick.

Right off the bat I think i would prefer the itinerary of the Rotterdam but my main concern is how we are going to like the ship coming from our two cruises on The S- Class celebrity ships, which i think the Koningsdam would be more similar to. As you can tell I'm in need of some help. I'm open to any any all suggestions and look forward to hearing your opinions.

Thank you,

Ryan

Having sailed both lines, I don't believe HAL has any ships that can compare in elegance and beauty of the Celebrity S-Class ships. If that is of importance to you, then you will almost certainly be disappointed with the much older, smaller Rotterdam, particularly on a Transatlantic. Of course, this is a very subjective view. Have you checked out the April 13, 2018 sailing of Reflection from Fort Lauderdale to Rome - very interesting itinerary and it sails the southern route which should make for smoother seas.

We have just returned from a 14day North Cape cruise on Rotterdam. We were on a 15 day Adriatic cruise on Koningsdam in April. We would not sail on the Rotterdam again as we have been spoiled by the Koningsdam, Oosterdam and Zuiderdam.

We found the Rotterdam constricting and unimpressive after the other ships and she is in serious need of some TLC on the external paintwork.

We had a total of 5 sea days on the 14 day North Cape and two of those days were consecutive. More than two consecutive days would drive a lot of people crazy as there is very little to do and very few places to go.

We always pick itinerary first and ship second. So I would go with the Rotterdam - not as new obviously with the extra whistles and bells as the Konigsdam, but a very nice ship with a good interior scale for comfort and accessibility. Still has the very welcoming library space which is now constricted on the Konigsdam. Rotterdam is one of our own favorites. Many prior days spent on her, with even more to soon come. We love where she takes us.

I have sailed in both ships and was pleased with each. I choose my voyages based on itinerary and, since I have been to the Med ports many times, have booked Rotterdam in April 2018 because of the ports. The Rotterdam has fewer bells and whistles than Koningsdam and the sea day activities are slower paced but very relaxing. Koningsdam provides more daily activities, more dining venues and imho more spirited evening entertainment. You can't lose which ever you pick. Bill Fox