Self debark question

moongal

If you are self debarking (or disembarking) can you go at any time? (As long as you leave before or with the last group?)

On my first cruise we did the bags out in the hallway thing and had FTTF, so we were called to leave in one of the first groups as far as I can remember.

On my second cruise we did the carry our own bags off the ship but we had FTTF (faster to the fun) again so we left early again.

I remember when leaving it was a madhouse. All the elevators were jammed and seemed to actually not even be working and we had to lug our luggage down stairs. We have FTTF for our upcoming cruise (my 3rd!) again but I was wondering if we HAD to leave in the first rush. Would it be better to wait? Would there be less crowds trying to get off the ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

IF you have FTTF you will get a message the night before you disembark telling you where to meet to get off the ship early carrying your own luggage. IF you do not get this message go to Guest Services and ask where the meeting place is located.

Go to the meeting place early and wait there with your luggage.

Then when it is OK a crew member will lead all the FTTF people off the ship before the other folks who are just carrying their own luggage withOUT FTTF.

I don't know why you didn't do this on your other cruises??

The only people off before you will be Platinum and Diamond cruisers who are also carrying their own luggage.

You should not have to deal with crowds or waiting in long lines!!

Some of the elevators are turned off because of baggage, usually the midship ones.

Yes, you can get off at anytime if you're carrying off your luggage. If you've put luggage out in the hallway, you can leave anytime after your number has been called

Hi,

IF you have FTTF you will get a message the night before you disembark telling you where to meet to get off the ship early carrying your own luggage. IF you do not get this message go to Guest Services and ask where the meeting place is located.

Go to the meeting place early and wait there with your luggage.

Then when it is OK a crew member will lead all the FTTF people off the ship before the other folks who are just carrying their own luggage withOUT FTTF.

I don't know why you didn't do this on your other cruises??

The only people off before you will be Platinum and Diamond cruisers who are also carrying their own luggage.

You should not have to deal with crowds or waiting in long lines!!

I did do this!! I couldn't even reach the FTTF meeting place at the designated time! And yes we left way way early. I guess we did waste a lot of time trying to get an elevator but even trying to get down the stairs it was jammed. One step at a time. Go down one step wait, go down another step wait. By the time all 7 of us had gotten even close to the place where the FTTF was supposed to meet, they had all been released and it was like trying to cross a herd. We didn't realize that the herd was the just released FTTF people and were still trying to get into the lounge or wherever the meeting place was.

I don't know if was because we were new at this or if there were just tons of people trying to leave early but no one was checking to see if you had FTTF or what zone. To me it seemed like it was just a free for all everyone just leave now!!

This was on the Liberty when she was in Galveston last summer. Maybe it was poor people traffic management? We had got up at 530 am, had eaten breakfast and were out of the room and on the way by 7 am. The ship was docking in Galveston at 8 am. Do most people vacate their rooms earlier to avoid the rush? What is a good time?

Thanks!

It sounds like the ship you were on had very poor organization!

We have not experienced anything like you have described on other ships.

Since you can go to the meeting place early we have not had trouble getting an elevator to go to the deck we needed.

I hope your next experience is a better one!!

Some of the elevators are turned off because of baggage, usually the midship ones.

Yes, you can get off at anytime if you're carrying off your luggage. If you've put luggage out in the hallway, you can leave anytime after your number has been called

If you are carrying your own luggage, you are supposed to wait until your deck or zone is called unless you are PlatDiamond/FTTF. It is the people who rush ahead of their time that causes chaos

I cruise out of Galveston all the time. This seems,to happen on all my cruises from there. Not at all when I cruised out of Florida or New,Orleans. It's not poor organization, it's inconsiderate passengers who want to bend every rule because it doesn't pertain to them, they paid for the cruise, they're on vacation etc.. I live 30 minutes from Galveston, so I deal with it...lol

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I guess in my long winded postings I didn't phrase my question clearly.

Is it less of a chaotic rush/crowd if we hang back and just relax and leave later? Or is just going to be be a crowded chaotic mess no matter what time we exit the ship.

We do have FTTF and only live a short drive to the port so not in any rush to catch a plane etc.

I don't mind sitting around waiting, I would rather do that than fight crowds.

Does anyone know if it is calmer when exiting at a later time?

We experienced the same thing on our recent cruise on Fascination. We had FTTF but didn't use it (at all really...) to disembark. The time to meet was too early for us. We did leave when our deck was called but also experienced the crowds. We were instructed not to use the stairs and the elevators were for luggage only. We were in a long line waiting for the one elevator to get us when they called the next deck. It was a bit chaotic but once on the elevator it was smooth from there. We had a flight before noon and had well over an hour to spare after going through security for our flight.

• 1 month later...

Last cruise we had no reason to get off the ship early, so we waited up on the pool deck in a designated waiting area, and relaxed in the peace and quiet until the last zone was called, then virtually walked off the ship. No hectic lines, no crowds.

Sent from my iPad using Forums