Insurance

Nan_Sea

Forgive me if this is a repeat topic. We are getting ready to book our first Celebrity cruise and I can't seem to find much info about the insurance they offer. We usually book with Princess and that insurance includes cancel for any reason. Is that true of Celebrity or can someone point me in the right direction to answer my questions. Thank you

Hi,

Here is the link to the information on the insurance. I do not know if this is the newest version but it will give you some information. Yes they offer cancel for any reason but it is a cruise credit for a future cruise.

https://www.archinsurancesolutions.com/coverage/Celebrity

Edited by twinsbur
info

Forgive me if this is a repeat topic. We are getting ready to book our first Celebrity cruise and I can't seem to find much info about the insurance they offer. We usually book with Princess and that insurance includes cancel for any reason. Is that true of Celebrity or can someone point me in the right direction to answer my questions. Thank you

Let me be the first to ask: why would you buy insurance from the company against which you may need to file a claim?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let me be the first to ask: why would you buy insurance from the company against which you may need to file a claim?

Probably because it sounds like they are specifically looking for cancel for any reason which is an expensive upcharge when purchasing from third party insurance. However, may be included in celebrities policy without an upcharge because it only gives you a future cruise credit instead of a refund.

Probably because it sounds like they are specifically looking for cancel for any reason which is an expensive upcharge when purchasing from third party insurance. However, may be included in celebrities policy without an upcharge because it only gives you a future cruise credit instead of a refund.

Actually,......that might indeed suit us if we live in Florida and book during hurricane season, wouldn't it?

Does the Celebrity insurance cover pre-existing conditions?

Actually,......that might indeed suit us if we live in Florida and book during hurricane season, wouldn't it?

Does the Celebrity insurance cover pre-existing conditions?

And, if so, do the folks getting it actually understand how "PEC" is defined in the cruise world?

Hi,

Here is the link to the information on the insurance. I do not know if this is the newest version but it will give you some information. Yes they offer cancel for any reason but it is a cruise credit for a future cruise.

https://www.archinsurancesolutions.com/coverage/Celebrity

Thank you for the link. One hopes

insurance is never used but better safe than sorry.

The cancel any reason I believe is 75% as a future cruise credit which has to be used in 1 or 2 years. Last I looked there is no waiver for pre-existing conditions and their evacuation coverage was lower than I wanted.

I shop for insurance on insuremytrip.com, others I think use squaremouth.com, both are are independent brokers with good customer service who will give you advise for your specific needs.

I get a cancel any reason with pre-existing condition waiver policy from Travel Insured International via insuremytrip.com

I get a cancel any reason with pre-existing condition waiver policy from Travel Insured International via insuremytrip.com

Also use Travel Insured but with another broker. Had Claims without a problem.

I would encourage anyone considering Travel Insurance on their cruise to look closely at Celebrity's policy limits. One would hope or assume that Celebrity is offering a package that they believe covers you adequately, but in this case, it appears that they are really offering a package that covers only enough to pay your medical expenses on-board and any cost of evacuation. No, it's not stated that way of course....but essentially that's what you get...with a carrot of 75% CREDIT with a limit on time if you just decide to cancel the cruise. $10,000 medical coverage will certainly not cover you if you wind up in an American Hospital...or any sort of extended hospitalization at a foreign hospital...and don't forget you are being charged a great deal for the medical care you get on the ship and that's before evacuation. Now on the evacuation side, you may well find that $25K is enough to get you to a local (foreign) hospital with the capability of treating your problem, but not enough to get you home.

Please understand what you are buying...what it covers and what you are essentially self insuring because of low policy limits. Don't assume that Celebrity is offering you the policy you really should have.

If you are in the US, at least look at squaremouth, insuremytrip or other travel insurance sites........and think about more than that "cancel anytime" with a carrot that only gives you a carrot to use on a Celebrity cruise within a time limit.

I purchased insurance from Celebrity for a cruise departing April 3. Unfortunately I became ill prior to sailing -- while I was on the ship. I was taken to medical on ship and evaluated (Pneumonia). I had to be evacuated to the local hospital in Ft. Lauderdale. I was there for a week.

My medicare and supplemental paid my medical (about $60,000) so far. Celebrity charged my credit card for their portion. I had to send info. to Medicare and what is not paid my Celebrity insurance should reimburse the difference.

The coordinator at the hospital checked on me every couple of days and made arrangements for my wife and I to fly home when discharged. The insurance paid for the Air.

It goes without saying that insurance is important and having assigned a coordinator was reassuring.

Fortunately I was still state-side and not at one of the islands.

Insurance policies change from time to time, but I recall not being very impressed by the cruise line insurance. Especially the medical limits which is where our main concern lies.

I used to use insuremytrip.com but recently switched to tripinsurancestore.com because their agents get back to you right away if you ask questions. I had a question about pre-existing conditions and they helped me understand the ins and outs of it.

We only travel one to two times a year, so the all-inclusive policies that cover trip cancellation and medical are usually cheaper than buying one of the annual medical travel insurance plans.

I purchased insurance from Celebrity for a cruise departing April 3. Unfortunately I became ill prior to sailing -- while I was on the ship. I was taken to medical on ship and evaluated (Pneumonia). I had to be evacuated to the local hospital in Ft. Lauderdale. I was there for a week.

My medicare and supplemental paid my medical (about $60,000) so far. Celebrity charged my credit card for their portion. I had to send info. to Medicare and what is not paid my Celebrity insurance should reimburse the difference.

The coordinator at the hospital checked on me every couple of days and made arrangements for my wife and I to fly home when discharged. The insurance paid for the Air.

It goes without saying that insurance is important and having assigned a coordinator was reassuring.

Fortunately I was still state-side and not at one of the islands.

Yes once you leave the US Medicare doesn't cover you from what I understand. All in all I think you were pretty lucky even though you didn't get to go on your trip.

Insurance policies change from time to time, but I recall not being very impressed by the cruise line insurance. Especially the medical limits which is where our main concern lies.

I used to use insuremytrip.com but recently switched to tripinsurancestore.com because their agents get back to you right away if you ask questions. I had a question about pre-existing conditions and they helped me understand the ins and outs of it.

We only travel one to two times a year, so the all-inclusive policies that cover trip cancellation and medical are usually cheaper than buying one of the annual medical travel insurance plans.

I had used Insuremytrip a couple of times. However 2 1/2 years ago I had to cancel a cruise 2 weeks before departure because of emergency surgery. They were beyond terrible to work with. It was worse than my surgery and reimbursement took longer than my recovery. Since then I switched to The Trip Insurance Store; personal service, prompt call backs and very knowledgeable. Will consistently use them in the future.

Cruise line insurance is far from ideal, and Celebrity's is not as good as Princess (Princess automatically upgrades you to their Premium coverage if you're Platinum or higher which offers higher coverage and 100% future cruise credit). BUT, if you're over age 70 or so, cruise line insurance can be far more cost effective to obtain. The cruise lines charge a % of cruise fare, regardless of age, while almost all (actually, all that we have ever found) separate insurance companies factor in your age. The premium cost rises very rapidly for every year of age.

We usually do the cruise line insurance and have added a low-cost annual policy that supplements evacuation and medical costs, bought through InsureMyTrip.com.

Don't forget to look at credit card coverage you may have. Chase Sapphire includes 10,000 trip cancellation (illness, etc,) without additional charge. Chase Reserve adds 100,000 evac. So for us, with out of country medical covered by my company plan this is all we need.

Don't forget to look at credit card coverage you may have. Chase Sapphire includes 10,000 trip cancellation (illness, etc,) without additional charge. Chase Reserve adds 100,000 evac. So for us, with out of country medical covered by my company plan this is all we need.

Of course you have to book and pay for the trip using that card to be covered.

Good points by all who have posted. We usually cruise with Princess and have the upgraded insurance. Our ages make the other insurances expensive as mentioned. But, we do use a Chase Sapphire card so you have all been helpful. Thank you.