Cuba anyone???

Thankyou 10-7, you're the only person who posted semi-quantifiable observations. Can a cruiser bring Cuban cigars back to the U.S.? How many? What is the mood of the Cubans at the cruise port when American cruisers disembark?

You can bring cigars and alcohol but I do t remember how much. I brought a bottle of rum. Cuban will love you, they try their best to feel u welcome to the island. They follow the money so they will be your best friend for the day.

I took a plane to see my family, didn't use the port but I was around the port. Everything looks different and tourist oriented.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cuba has had Canadian and European tourists for years. It may not be ready for ships but it is a pretty commonly visited destination.

I'm Canadian and have been to Cuba a couple of times but not to Havana. We went because of the warm weather,great beaches, and because it's cheap!!!! A 5 star resort in Cuba is, at most,a 4 star resort on other Caribbean islands. The infrastructure is a bit old, but at least they don't have a Starbuck's or Tim Horton's on each corner. ;) As for a communist country, it is politically, but the folks in the tourism industry are very capitalistic. They hustle for a buck (or peso) just like every other place on earth.

I was asking for reliable facts not media speculation. I too have seen the media speculation and don't know that they are so good at mind reading.

With the current administration you can't really believe anything until it happens and is finalized. There's certainly enough murmurs going around to lend credibility to the idea of restricted access. Those of us with money on the line are watching closely.

With the current administration you can't really believe anything until it happens and is finalized. There's certainly enough murmurs going around to lend credibility to the idea of restricted access. Those of us with money on the line are watching closely.

My point, exactly. One with money on the line for October sailing.

I was on the 20th May sailing and the Cubans coped pretty well with Empress considering they had a second ship in at the same time. Yes don't expect Diamond Int on every corner and you can't drink the water and probably have to bring some toilet paper with you but my advice would be go now. Yes either the US travel situation could change or just as likely Cuba might become just another island shopping stop.

We just got back from the May 29 Empress Cuba cruise. To answer some of the specific questions, you can bring back 100 Cuban cigars and 1 liter of rum. You can buy individual cigars, or by the box.

As for how Havana handles tourists, I found it to be so much better than some of the really poor Caribbean islands we've visited on cruises. (Nevis, anyone??). The architecture is beautiful, on par with Spain, Portugal, and Uruguay. The people are very friendly. We brought our own bottled water provided by the cruise for free (a very nice touch, and Evian, too!) and we didn't eat any local food, so can't make any statement to that. We really enjoyed the untouched, authentic nature of the city. We were surprised to see the signs of freedom of religion on the island, with the churches and scheduled Mass services. There weren't any tacky straw markets with people tugging on your arm begging you to buy stuff. I read "Havana Nocturne" before the trip and really enjoyed seeing all the buildings mentioned in the book that were run/built by the US Mob. The classic American cars throughout the streets are a real novelty to see.

Our cruise spent 1 day there, and so not having to eat or sleep in the city may have made a difference in our perspective of Havana. But all 4 of us (2 mid-40s, one mid-70s, and our 5 year old) really loved it and have even talked about going back.

Hope that 1st hand input helps!

Do you have facts to prove your above statement? I have seen no reliable evidence to date.

Do you consider CNN reliable?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/30/politics/trump-cuba-policy/

Americans need to remember that, legally, there are very strict parameters for a US citizen to travel to Cuba. It has been a while since I read the restrictions but suffice it to say that if you go and just "see the sights" you are breaking the rules. Probably would not get charged with anything as it would be difficult to prove (I mean, aside from your admissions posted on a world wide public internet site). Most of the restrictions/sanctions were put into place by an act of the US Congress and can only be removed by an act of the US Congress.

My point, exactly. One with money on the line for October sailing.

My thoughts also. I have final payment in one week for my August cruise. The whole reason I booked this cruise was for Cuba. I do not want a "day at sea". I've had plenty of them on my 20 previous cruises.

For me, we are on the Empress Aug 12. If they are going to Cuba, fine. If not I'm sure all those running around with their hair on fire will cancel. And we will be able to upgrade to a JS or better for the same as we paid for our inside. So we will be 4 points closer to Pinnacle. Actually if the prices drop like last year we will book a few more on there. And rapidly make the coveted 700 point mark.

We would love to go, but the cruises are too short. If they added a couple days with a stop in at least the Bahamas we'd go for sure.
d

Our thinking also. so we took the seven night that sailed in April 2017. We stopped in Cozumel, Belize and Havana. Now, I would consider a shorter cruise just to get back. We are looking at one of the overnights.

We enjoyed the Cuba stop. Contrary to our usual routine, we booked the 8 hour ship tour. It was terrific. RCCL did a great job in preparing passengers for the Cuba visit.

Next visit, we would book a private tour.

M

Just wondering if anyone knows if Trump's speech in Miami about Cuba is on Friday and if he talks about reversing the current policy, how long would it take to go in to effect? Would it be effective immediately or does it have to pass through Congress or other forms of government first?

Just wondering if anyone knows if Trump's speech in Miami about Cuba is on Friday and if he talks about reversing the current policy, how long would it take to go in to effect? Would it be effective immediately or does it have to pass through Congress or other forms of government first?

Congress not needed; could be reversed by Executive Order. Timeline<?>

For me, we are on the Empress Aug 12. If they are going to Cuba, fine. If not I'm sure all those running around with their hair on fire will cancel. And we will be able to upgrade to a JS or better for the same as we paid for our inside. So we will be 4 points closer to Pinnacle. Actually if the prices drop like last year we will book a few more on there. And rapidly make the coveted 700 point mark.

Within cancellation period so many people would lose money. Cuba cruises have a big price premium. I am booked on a December cruise to Cuba so am eagerly waiting this weeks announcement, at least I can can cancel with no penalty if that is the case. Moving up to a nicer cabin but paying the same for what would otherwise be a cheap itinerary switch does nothing for me.

Within cancellation period so many people would lose money. Cuba cruises have a big price premium.

I do wonder - and hope we don't find out - whether passengers would get a refund or on board credit. Based on the FAQs, I believe there is an insurance element built in the price that is required by the Cuban government. It's not broken out like port taxes and fees. But, if one doesn't need, it shouldn't be paid for.

Like I said, hope there's no reason to find out as I really enjoyed my day in Havana and hope others have the opportunity to go.

I do wonder - and hope we don't find out - whether passengers would get a refund or on board credit. Based on the FAQs, I believe there is an insurance element built in the price that is required by the Cuban government. It's not broken out like port taxes and fees. But, if one doesn't need, it shouldn't be paid for.

Like I said, hope there's no reason to find out as I really enjoyed my day in Havana and hope others have the opportunity to go.

I'm booked on NCL and what they told me over the phone was they would change itinerary; no refund, no OBC, they have the right to change, etc. I'm paying as much for a 4 day interior for 2 people to go to Cuba as I have paid for 3 people in a balcony on a 7 day cruise elsewhere, so I am willing to pay the premium to go to Cuba, but would not be happy to end up in Nassau/Freeport at that sort of cost. At least these announcements will be made with enough time for me to weigh options at no additional expense.

I know some people don't have an option because of work or other reason but if i wanted to visit Cuba I could have done it as soon as the cruises were allowed to dock there. Cuba though a democratic president was going to win again and Cuba took a long time to allow royal and other to dock there. Once they realized it was a republic they granted permission really quick. This is the month of June now, people had plenty of time to visit Cuba if Americans wanted to.

I went to Cuba over Christmas with fathom so we got three ports - Santiago, Cienfuegos, and Havana. I could never do a cruise that *just* went to Havana. Even with only three ports I know we didn't get to experience a lot of the country, but Santiago and Cienfuegos are so different from Havana...

Regarding "not ready for tourism" newsflash - the US is the only country that hasn't allowed its citizens to visit for a while. Other nations have been able to visit. Just because there's not a Señor Frogs, a Diamonds International and a Del Sol doesn't mean it's "not ready for tourism".

From what I am hearing, the Cuba policy was created by Executive Order, so I'm guessing it could be deleted or modified by Executive Order.

"not ready for tourism".

Cuba is ready for tourism but is not ready for American tourist. Just read cruise critic and read how exigent and demeaning we are, imagine while visiting Cuba. Not only that, Cubans are not even ready for American visiting the island.

Cuba is ready for tourism but is not ready for American tourist. Just read cruise critic and read how exigent and demeaning we are, imagine while visiting Cuba. Not only that, Cubans are not even ready for American visiting the island.

Typical "I want it comfortable" American tourists, no. But Americans who are travelers and not tourists, who like adventure and don't have to be comfortable? More than ready.

And every Cuban citizen I encountered had no issues with Americans. They WANT us to come and experience their country. It is the governments that have issues with each other.