Oasis of the Seas Incident

I think our ch**f engineer pops up when the word CH**F is entered on here. I blocked out the IE as not to bother him if I'm right. There was no way this thread would have been of interest to him. He must have a setting where if that word is typed, he has usually popped up in a few minutes............or he has ESP:cool:

To stop the speculation, I cruise the forums of the major cruise lines (and some smaller lines that have had problems in the past) and certain special interest forums. Key words get my attention and the word "incident" in the thread title got the "Chief sense" tingling that something had happened. I've been watching the thread since it started, but didn't have anything to add until now.

Ya I know, I got my Chief's ticket in '73, just trying to have some fun

Don't tell my company, but I'm multi-tasking, doing inventory and ordering, while glancing at CC on the other monitor. Just had to sweat my butt off in the engine room for a minor crisis, sucks to have all inexperienced engineers. Now, back to my real job, answering toilet questions for CC.

Well obviously, but who would've guessed that it happens once every day or two on campus cruises?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well let's see, life insurance actuaries, ship captains, ship doctors, maritime attorneys, ship designers, ship nurses, cruise directors, cruise line attorneys, ship's crew, chief engineers, experienced cruise passengers, CDC doctors, CDC nurses, cruise line officers, morticians, old people, ambulance drivers, EMTs, news reporters, new junkies, FMI agents, and members of Cruise Critic (to name a few).

Well do you think it would be reasonable for someone with little/no experience with cruising (represents a large large portion of the worlds population) to find that fact to be remarkable, even surprising? I'm personally a certified EMT, currently in medical school with just 1 year away from attaining my MD, went on my first cruise last week, and had no idea that 200 people per year die while cruising.

Well do you think it would be reasonable for someone with little/no experience with cruising (represents a large large portion of the worlds population) to find that fact to be remarkable, even surprising? I'm personally a certified EMT, currently in medical school with just 1 year away from attaining my MD, went on my first cruise last week, and had no idea that 200 people per year die while cruising.

Of course it would be reasonable. However, the question I was responding to was, who would have guessed that it happens? The two questions are very different.

Actually, if they stopped and thought about it, yes.

Given the number of people who cruise each year, the average age of cruisers, and the average death rate.

I also suspect 200 only includes those who "die" on the ship, not those on a cruise who are evacuated, either by air or at a port and die in, or on the way to, hospital.

We did a 33 night cruise, eight died, I believe only one actually died before they got her into an ambulance, but the ave age on that cruise was over 75.

Actually, if they stopped and thought about it, yes.

Given the number of people who cruise each year, the average age of cruisers, and the average death rate.

I also suspect 200 only includes those who "die" on the ship, not those on a cruise who are evacuated, either by air or at a port and die in, or on the way to, hospital.

We did a 33 night cruise, eight died, I believe only one actually died before they got her into an ambulance, but the ave age on that cruise was over 75.

Jesus... well prior to my cruise, I had no idea the annual number of cruisers, their average age, typical passenger capacity of ships, nor the fact that a cruise can even go for that many days. So I'm not sure if the most people would've come to that sort of conclusion regarding deaths on cruises without the insight into the above information, regardless of how hard they thought. In fact most people don't just spontaneously think about these things, thus it is very surprising when hearing such a statistic

Several of our cruises have had deaths, some due to health issues known beforehand and others. ....

A memorable cruise to the Baltics had six deaths. Yes, six. Only learned of the last four because my trivia buddy had heard of the others.

This lead to an interesting discussion of how the cruise lines work with the family. Turns out, one 35-year old passed and the body, due to timing, would arrive back in NYC a day after the family's scheduled return. The widow chose to stay on board giving both herself and her young children time to grieve.

As one person put it, I'd rather go while enjoying myself rather than just sit at home and wait for death.

Several of our cruises have had deaths, some due to health issues known beforehand and others. ....

A memorable cruise to the Baltics had six deaths. Yes, six. Only learned of the last four because my trivia buddy had heard of the others.

This lead to an interesting discussion of how the cruise lines work with the family. Turns out, one 35-year old passed and the body, due to timing, would arrive back in NYC a day after the family's scheduled return. The widow chose to stay on board giving both herself and her young children time to grieve.

As one person put it, I'd rather go while enjoying myself rather than just sit at home and wait for death.

Ah wow, that's sad and unfortunate. And I agree, I'd much rather be enjoying myself too when death strikes!

Well I think that's enough talk about death for me today, im gonna leave this thread now and think about more happy things so I can also be a happi cruzer!

Ah wow, that's sad and unfortunate. And I agree, I'd much rather be enjoying myself too when death strikes!

Well I think that's enough talk about death for me today, im gonna leave this thread now and think about more happy things so I can also be a happi cruzer!

When you consider all the extra food and alcohol people consume on board compared to back home and also the hotter weather it is logical older people run a higher risk of dying on board unfortunately.

Do the math. The Oasis class alone each year takes 824000 passengers based on double occupancy.

I'm too lazy to find the stats for how many passengers take a cruise each year, but it is many millions when you consider all ships and lines.

Considering many people who cruise can often be elderly ( * cough Holland America Line *cough), over indulge in any combination of excessive food/alcohol/heat/strenuous activity.... People are going to die.