Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

Hi all,

Sorry if there is a thread on this topic; I couldn't seem to find it. And this one is quite gigantic so I didn't want to go through every page.

I believe we are the true definition of new cruisers. We are on the Midnight Sun in June and not only is our first viking cruise, it is our first ever cruise.

We're a little lost on the subject of excursions and I would love to seek

advice and views on the excursion options.

I note that opinions on the included excursions are fairly divisive, so we were wondering whether the consensus is to:

• Book the extra cost ones
  • Book your own via local operators
  • Just do your own thing on shore.

I note that the Viking ones seem to be a lot more expensive than the book your own local options; but I am not sure whether the additional expense is justified as it is more convenient (due to Viking arranging, not having to work out where to meet the operators, ensuring you're back on time, etc.).

We won't necessarily do extra cost at every port as some included might be okay; and I guess we won't necessarily want to do an excursion at each port either.

Thanks for any advice 🙂

Edited by THR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, THR said:

Hi all,

Sorry if there is a thread on this topic; I couldn't seem to find it. And this one is quite gigantic so I didn't want to go through every page.

I believe we are the true definition of new cruisers. We are on the Midnight Sun in June and not only is our first viking cruise, it is our first ever cruise.

I note that opinions on the included excursions are fairly divisive, so we were wondering whether the consensus is to:

I note that the Viking ones seem to be a lot more expensive than the book your own local options; but I am not sure whether the additional expense is justified as it is more convenient (due to Viking arranging, not having to work out where to meet the operators, ensuring you're back on time, etc.).

We won't necessarily do extra cost at every port as some included might be okay; and I guess we won't necessarily want to do an excursion at each port either.

Thanks for any advice 🙂

In a nutshell - quality and cost of tours does indeed in our experience with Viking, vary tremendously depending on the itinerary.   So there is no "rule of thumb".

However, we did take the Midnight Sun cruise last July (it was fabulous), so I can offer some specific thoughts on that cruise.  I will also say that people have varying opinions on good and bad excursions.  We've had tours we loved and other people absolutely hated, and vice versa - so I'd discount people's "opinions" a little bit, and use it just as a starter.  It all depends on what you like to do and what your expectations are.  For sure you need to "decode" or read between the lines on the Viking excursion descriptions.  "Panoramic" means bus tour.  You have to determine how fit and able you are, especially on the Midnight Sun cruise.  If you are, there are a number of excursions that are fantastic, if not, same thing, but you need to be careful.

Also for included tours, a lot depends on luck (what guide you get).  We've had some fantastic ones and fellow travelers didn't and thus we had completely different opinions of the exact same tour.

I would say a mixture of included and optional can be good, especially on your first cruise.  You might try an independent tour or two as well.  This will give you some insight for future cruises.

For Midnight Sun - here is our opinion on the tours we took.  (We've been on 12 Viking cruises).  Note:  we are fit and enjoy lots of walking and try to do the demanding, non-bus tours.

London:  Greenwich included (one of the best we've had - great guide - lots of good walking)

Edinburgh:  Included not bad, gave us a chance to walk around on our own

Orkney:  included tour quite good, some bus, lots of walking, lots of scenery and great guide

Shetland:  optional walk tour of city and museum - very worthwhile

included tour - not so good, but did see Shetland ponies, guide so-so

Honnigsvag:  included tour to the North Cape - good guide, good time at the cape.

Tromso:  included tour not so good, mostly bus ride

optional tour to one of the islands (Someroy sp?) - excellent!!

Leknes:  included tour very good, scenic, bus and walking, great guide

optional tour - the hike up the mountain.  quite scenic, difficult but worthwhile hike

Olden:  included tour up the gondola - well worth it, spectacular views

Bergen:  included tour - not good, just a bus ride mostly

optional tour - visit to Stave Church and Grieg's house with concert - one of the best optional tours we've done!

I would on your own head to the funicular and go up the mountain in Bergen for an amazing view!  I'd also wander around on your own or take a Bergen city walks tour (We've done that in the past).  An easy walkable city.

Hope this helps you.

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, THR said:

Hi all,

Thanks for any advice 🙂

We are also doing our first cruise with Viking (and first cruise ever) this summer—Homelands.  We have traveled a decent amount and are relatively young and relatively fit.  CcWinelover’s advice is excellent.  We have planned a mix of the included excursions, a couple paid Viking excursions, and two independent days as well.  I researched the ports on here and Trip Advisor for ideas of what we wanted to see and do.  When the Viking included tour covered some or most of that, we planned the included tour.  When it didn’t or was more expensive that arranging it myself, I did it myself. For example, in Stavanger the Pulpit Rock Cruise is $200 plus per person through Viking, but I booked ours through Rodne for $140 total.  I have enjoyed doing the planning.

• Like 3

On 4/2/2023 at 9:07 PM, zalusky said:

Do they bounce you if you have poly stretch pants that look like jeans but aren’t:

IMG_3121.jpeg

Moreover, those trousers are a gorgeous shade of blue!   They show blue-black-blue variations.  I have a fave shirt in that color.

47 minutes ago, Spurlady said:

expensive that arranging it myself, I did it myself. For example, in Stavanger the Pulpit Rock Cruise is $200 plus per person through Viking, but I booked ours through Rodne for $140 total.  I have enjoyed doing the planning.

We did this with a few other pax on our Homelands tour and it was great.  Much less, and just a few yards from where the ship docked—although, I can’t believe it, that was in 2018!

• Like 2

THR: We took the Midnight Sun itinerary the summer before covid and thought it was among our best cruises ever. You've made a great choice!

In the Shetland Islands we teamed up with another couple from our roll call for a private tour with Kittiwake Tours, and it was excellent! Highly recommended!

We'd both been to London numerous times before so were looking for something a little different to do and chose Churchill's War Rooms and the Imperial War Museum (through Viking). Another really good one, whether you're a military history buff like my husband or more interested in social and cultural history as I am.

If you're interested in the wealth of neolithic sites to be found in the Orkneys, I highly recommend you book a private tour there, too. We used Wildabout Orkneys, which unfortunately didn't survive the covid shutdown, but other people on our cruise were equally pleased with the providers they chose. The sites are absolutely amazing, and some are only do-able with a small group. Among our top three or four excursions in 20+ years of cruising!

Hope that's of some help!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Spurlady said:

We are also doing our first cruise with Viking (and first cruise ever) this summer—Homelands.  We have traveled a decent amount and are relatively young and relatively fit.  CcWinelover’s advice is excellent.  We have planned a mix of the included excursions, a couple paid Viking excursions, and two independent days as well.  I researched the ports on here and Trip Advisor for ideas of what we wanted to see and do.  When the Viking included tour covered some or most of that, we planned the included tour.  When it didn’t or was more expensive that arranging it myself, I did it myself. For example, in Stavanger the Pulpit Rock Cruise is $200 plus per person through Viking, but I booked ours through Rodne for $140 total.  I have enjoyed doing the planning.

The Rodne out of Stavanger is the best example of a "no brainer" I can think of. You do, however, miss out on the waffle Viking provides.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 9:57 AM, deec said:

Melatonin is NOT a controlled substance. no worries

After I made that post, I looked up Norway's policy on Melatonin. Our cruise will be starting off in Bergen) A lot of the information is old but from what I can gather, 10mg. melatonin gummies would not be legal because anything over 1 mg. is considered a drug. What I took away most was to just get a letter from my doctor just in case.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, THR said:

Hi all,

Thanks for any advice 🙂

You've gotten a lot of good information on planning excursions.  I'd like to add to look at recent roll calls for information on outside tour operators. Many people make plans and invite others to join them.  Someone might get back to you with feedback, if you ask.

Maria

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lilyskittymom said:

You've gotten a lot of good information on planning excursions.  I'd like to add to look at recent roll calls for information on outside tour operators. Many people make plans and invite others to join them.  Someone might get back to you with feedback, if you ask.

Maria

AND, there is an entire section here on Cruise Critic dedicated to PORTS OF CALL.

A lot of information about tour companies is exchanged there. The audience is huge compared to the number of folks actively participating in this Viking forum, so you may find many more suggestions there.

Ports of call is divided into 3 sub-forums and for Midnight Sun you may have to visit two of them.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

In a nutshell - quality and cost of tours does indeed in our experience with Viking, vary tremendously depending on the itinerary.   So there is no "rule of thumb".

However, we did take the Midnight Sun cruise last July (it was fabulous), so I can offer some specific thoughts on that cruise.  I will also say that people have varying opinions on good and bad excursions.  We've had tours we loved and other people absolutely hated, and vice versa - so I'd discount people's "opinions" a little bit, and use it just as a starter.  It all depends on what you like to do and what your expectations are.  For sure you need to "decode" or read between the lines on the Viking excursion descriptions.  "Panoramic" means bus tour.  You have to determine how fit and able you are, especially on the Midnight Sun cruise.  If you are, there are a number of excursions that are fantastic, if not, same thing, but you need to be careful.

Also for included tours, a lot depends on luck (what guide you get).  We've had some fantastic ones and fellow travelers didn't and thus we had completely different opinions of the exact same tour.

I would say a mixture of included and optional can be good, especially on your first cruise.  You might try an independent tour or two as well.  This will give you some insight for future cruises.

For Midnight Sun - here is our opinion on the tours we took.  (We've been on 12 Viking cruises).  Note:  we are fit and enjoy lots of walking and try to do the demanding, non-bus tours.

London:  Greenwich included (one of the best we've had - great guide - lots of good walking)

Edinburgh:  Included not bad, gave us a chance to walk around on our own

Orkney:  included tour quite good, some bus, lots of walking, lots of scenery and great guide

Shetland:  optional walk tour of city and museum - very worthwhile

included tour - not so good, but did see Shetland ponies, guide so-so

Honnigsvag:  included tour to the North Cape - good guide, good time at the cape.

Tromso:  included tour not so good, mostly bus ride

optional tour to one of the islands (Someroy sp?) - excellent!!

Leknes:  included tour very good, scenic, bus and walking, great guide

optional tour - the hike up the mountain.  quite scenic, difficult but worthwhile hike

Olden:  included tour up the gondola - well worth it, spectacular views

Bergen:  included tour - not good, just a bus ride mostly

optional tour - visit to Stave Church and Grieg's house with concert - one of the best optional tours we've done!

I would on your own head to the funicular and go up the mountain in Bergen for an amazing view!  I'd also wander around on your own or take a Bergen city walks tour (We've done that in the past).  An easy walkable city.

Hope this helps you.

Agree with everything you mention, but would add that the Cable Car in Tromso is a great outing as it also stops at the Arctic Church.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, THR said:

Hi all,

Thanks for any advice 🙂

Also a newbie when it comes to Viking, but have done a few cruises. I have have taken tours through the the ships (paid on the mass-market lines) and through third party vendors.  So far, I have always had very good experiences, and most of the time for much cheaper than the cruise ship price.  For instance (and I just wrote this elsewhere), a number of years ago in St. Petersburg (Russia), we booked a semi-private tour.  For only $10 more per person we saw a lot more than the ship tour(s) were offering, which included additional sites, lunches, and other things not available thru the ship (including the Gold Room in the Hermitage). People worry about taking the private tours because they are worried about not getting back to the ship on time.  These 3rd Party vendors rely on their reputations and will do practically anything to ensure that you get back on the ship. But you need to do your own research to ensure that the company is reliable and is what you are working for.  The one issue I am having is, if Viking is - - - that's my 2 cents.

[As a side note: I was researching both 3rd party and cruise-line tours to take in Alaska last year. In the time my family finally discussed and decided the one to take, I noticed that a 3rd party excursion was very similar to the one the ship was offering.  When I looked into it further, I discovered that it was the same exact one with the same vendor.  The ship was having a 30% off select excursions that week - and for the first time I booked a third party vendor's excursion for cheaper than the vendor had advertised.]

• Like 2

There is often no reason to book a tour with anybody, ship or local. Often a bit of research will let you see the things that interest you, using local transport or just by walking. 

We book a tour only if independent is impossible for some reason

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, duquephart said:

The Rodne out of Stavanger is the best example of a "no brainer" I can think of. You do, however, miss out on the waffle Viking provides.

If someone does decide to go with Rødne, please note that they may not have a tour at a time you can take that will work with your docking times.  For example, for May the Pulpit Rock tours (called "Lysefjord cruise - Experience Preikestolen" on their website for the name in Norwegian) are offered at 1000 and 1500 hours.  One departs before Viking Jupiter docks in Stavanger on the Viking Homelands itinerary and the later one returns after the ship has departed.  I even sent Rødne an email back in February (just before booking for Viking shorex opened for our May cruise) and they said those departures would be it.

BUT, having read this thread today, I looked at the Rødne website again.  They have now ADDED tours at noon (returning 1500/1530 hours, well before our departure at 1800 hours) for some of the days a Viking ship will be in port (Extra departures:  12, 17, & 18 May and 29 June).

So, keep checking the Rødne website to see if a departure is added for your cruise itinerary.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lilyskittymom said:

Such a clever tip! 

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2023 at 8:43 PM, KBs mum said:

There is often no reason to book a tour with anybody, ship or local. Often a bit of research will let you see the things that interest you, using local transport or just by walking. 

We book a tour only if independent is impossible for some reason

Not always.  We took a Viking tour in Singapore to a Night Safari just outside the city, maybe 45 min?  Friends of ours bought tickets to do it on their own.  They had a horrible time getting a cab (ride share was impossible) to take them out there, and had we not run into them and gotten them a ride back with us, they’d have been stuck there.  
Uber and taxi numbers are a fraction of what they were pre Covid and that ey are not bouncing back fast…..at least not in Singapore.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 5:30 PM, takemewithyou said:

Oh my!  Thanks for your report of your experience.  I am glad to find this out ahead of time because we would have been miserable!  I have contacted Tell Us and asked if they can do something…..waiting for their response.    I am afraid that we can’t cancel and are pretty committed at this point.  Worse case scenario, we may have to order and bring our own topper which is unfortunate for the price we are paying.

We love a very firm and hard mattress. So if this is the case, we'll be happy campers. Sorry you weren't happy with it.

On 3/29/2023 at 10:58 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Debbie, give up. Stick with information submitted after the "Restart" in 2021. (In other words, start here on page 45, post 1115.)

• First, it is overwhelming to start with page one.
  • Second, a lot has changed since Viking launched Oceans in 2015. Reading the old stuff is just plain confusing.
  • Third, what is most important is current information. Circle back later if you are interested in the history.

Also,to fill in gaps, read the most current threads on the following topics; the information is fresher and reflects the reality of cruising in the post-pandemic:

• drinks package (even if you don't drink or aren't considering it)
  • laundry
  • tipping
  • anything that pertains to your next Viking Ocean cruise

BTW, some of what you read in this forum applies to how things work on the River cruises. There are certain things that are the same whether you are on an ocean-liner, an expedition ship or a riverboat.

LOL. Right. If I remember correctly, I beat you over the head on that issue. 😁

With complimentary or self-service laundry available for the Viking Ocean Cruises, how much close should I pack for a 15 day trip?  On the Grand European River Cruise, I overpacked.  Should packing for 1 week be good enough?  Are the launderettes usually available or is there usually a waiting line?

• Like 1