Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

1 hour ago, dd57 said:

You only really need them when you are leaving and reentering the ship.  You don't need them onboard.  

I think you need the card keys to get into your room.  So in reality you need them all the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haqdeluxe said:

For those hell bent on not carrying a card while onboard...

Viking will install a 15 digit combination door lock. 😄

Yes, they've found that they save quite a bit on alcohol costs with this system. 

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

As a Viking newbie, remind me if I will get an email when I can start booking excursions, or if I have to keep track of this myself. Thanks!

Without a doubt: KEEP TRACK OF IT YOURSELF.

Viking does not send out e-mails.The date is on your Viking guest statement. Scroll down; you are looking for the words SHORE EXCURSIONS. You will also find the date for when you can start booking SPECIALTY DINING.

(Marking these dates on my calendar is part of my "woo-hoo! I just booked another cruise" ritual -- add booking to MVJ, mark calendar with shorex, specialty dining and the cruise itinerary, find/start roll call, add cruise folder to computer desktop and email inbox.)

• Like 7

4 hours ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

WHEW!  I was really hoping they did not give us actual keys.  LOL

Key cards. Full of electronics. If  the plan is to punch a hole and clip the key to a lanyard, get Guest Services to do the punching -- and then immediately go check to see if you can get into your room.

In the past two decades, I think we have had to deal with actual keys just once -- on a Viking River cruise in Ukraine before they refurbished the ship. We also slept in Pullman beds (pull-down twins) and used what they called a "yacht-style" shower -- where the bathroom itself is the shower stall (very cozy). But it was so worth it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Viking does not send out e-mails.The date is on your Viking guest statement. Scroll down; you are looking for the words SHORE EXCURSIONS. You will also find the date for when you can start booking SPECIALTY DINING.

(Marking these dates on my calendar is part of my "woo-hoo! I just booked another cruise" ritual -- add booking to MVJ, mark calendar with shorex, specialty dining and the cruise itinerary, find/start roll call, add cruise folder to computer desktop and email inbox.)

Thank you!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Viking did send us an email the day before our excursions opened (the beginning of this month). I believe this is a recent thing that they have started doing.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

Viking did send us an email the day before our excursions opened (the beginning of this month). I believe this is a recent thing that they have started doing.

I hope they continue to do it but I am still a skeptic and will continue to keep track of that detail for myself, just in case.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Key cards. Full of electronics. If  the plan is to punch a hole and clip the key to a lanyard, get Guest Services to do the punching -- and then immediately go check to see if you can get into your room.

In the past two decades, I think we have had to deal with actual keys just once -- on a Viking River cruise in Ukraine before they refurbished the ship. We also slept in Pullman beds (pull-down twins) and used what they called a "yacht-style" shower -- where the bathroom itself is the shower stall (very cozy). But it was so worth it.

If you have Guest Services punch a hole, go check to be sure the card still works in your door.  I had holes punched twice and both times it rendered the card unusable.  I gave up and purchased a small cross body bag to carry on ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hobson1754 said:

We booked our excursions a couple of weeks ago but didn’t receive a reminder email.

I don't remember ever getting emails from Viking on excursions that I book.  I keep track of it myself.  Eventually, they all appear in the final edocs that get sent out.

However, you can always look online on MVJ on your calendar to see the excursions that you booked, as they appear there (although it isn't as convenient).

3 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

I don't remember ever getting emails from Viking on excursions that I book.  I keep track of it myself.  Eventually, they all appear in the final edocs that get sent out.

However, you can always look online on MVJ on your calendar to see the excursions that you booked, as they appear there (although it isn't as convenient).

Look at the “calendar summary”.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes I regular check MVJ especially as it gets nearer the date - just in case it opens up early - fat chance 😂😂

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Mickey111 said:

We’re cruising soon in September do we get cruise cards? Best way to carry them? I have a small cross body bag I usually take on holiday

I keep my card in the 'card pouch' attached to the back of my phone (it works without having to remove the card from the pouch). For our last cruise my wife got a "badge holder" from Amazon. Her intention was to hook the holder to a lanyard, but she ended up just sticking it in her pocket.  This is one such, but being Amazon there are hundreds of other options. 

https://www.amazon.com/Vertical-Holders-Sealable-Waterproof-Proximity/dp/B0888QJYKM/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=2OWDOQG11FVML&keywords=card%2Blanyard%2Bholder&qid=1690044360&sprefix=card%2Blany%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-3-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RPapaMarshall said:

I keep my card in the 'card pouch' attached to the back of my phone (it works without having to remove the card from the pouch). For our last cruise my wife got a "badge holder" from Amazon. Her intention was to hook the holder to a lanyard, but she ended up just sticking it in her pocket.  This is one such, but being Amazon there are hundreds of other options. 

https://www.amazon.com/Vertical-Holders-Sealable-Waterproof-Proximity/dp/B0888QJYKM/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=2OWDOQG11FVML&keywords=card%2Blanyard%2Bholder&qid=1690044360&sprefix=card%2Blany%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-3-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

And here's the card holder I use on my phone:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYPPPUU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know most people don't like lanyards, but I prefer to use one while on the ship, since I don't usually carry a purse or even a phone.  There are some very nice lanyards on Etsy.com.  Just make sure the lanyard itself comes with a  card holder badge - or buy a small package at an office supply store, or Amazon or whatever.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hobson1754 said:

Yes I regular check MVJ especially as it gets nearer the date - just in case it opens up early - fat chance 😂😂

Actually, I think that DID happen on my Octantis last year.

Or it might’ve been dinner reservations.

I worked for years in a building that was filled with electronic locks.  Instead of a lanyard, far easier is a clip  bungie which you can clip to the inside of a pocket or a waistband.  NO annoying neck skin rubs.  the plastic holder did not interfere with function

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Meander Ingwa said:

I worked for years in a building that was filled with electronic locks.  Instead of a lanyard, far easier is a clip  bungie which you can clip to the inside of a pocket or a waistband.  NO annoying neck skin rubs.  the plastic holder did not interfere with function

Unfortunately, I seldom wear anything with pockets on a cruise, hence the lanyard!  But I agree that the bungie thing is quite useful, and popular.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I'm considering booking a VO cruise for the small ship experience. I usually do Celebrity with 3000 guests. I am wondering how crowded the bars, theatre and pool deck is . Obviously a lot less passengers but also a smaller ship. So stressful having to get up at the crack of dawn to beat the chair hogs when I'm supposed to be on holiday. Please tell me it's better on Viking.😂

1 hour ago, madmedic said:

As I'm considering booking a VO cruise for the small ship experience. I usually do Celebrity with 3000 guests. I am wondering how crowded the bars, theatre and pool deck is . Obviously a lot less passengers but also a smaller ship. So stressful having to get up at the crack of dawn to beat the chair hogs when I'm supposed to be on holiday. Please tell me it's better on Viking.😂

Viking is about the ports and not so much about the pool deck. Most itineraries are port heavy (a few have no sea days at all). Viking markets to an older crowd (empty-nesters and retirees) looking for a quiet laid-back ambience, attentive service, interesting port experiences (a balance of educational and active offerings).

Suggest you read this thread to help get a better handle on the Viking ambience and mindset.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2381846-tell-me-why/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Unfortunately, I seldom wear anything with pockets on a cruise, hence the lanyard!  But I agree that the bungie thing is quite useful, and popular.

The key card fits beautifully into the back pocket of jeans !

14 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Viking is about the ports and not so much about the pool deck. Most itineraries are port heavy (a few have no sea days at all). Viking markets to an older crowd (empty-nesters and retirees) looking for a quiet laid-back ambience, attentive service, interesting port experiences (a balance of educational and active offerings).

Suggest you read this thread to help get a better handle on the Viking ambience and mindset.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2381846-tell-me-why/

Oh Peregrina I'm sold! Looks like Viking will be the one for us. Just need to find the right itinerary now. 

• Like 1