Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

4 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

I'm planning to be a new Viking cruiser. My TA told me that the gangway can be on either side of the ship on Viking, as opposed to predictably being on the starboard side on HAL ships I've sailed. Can someone confirm this? I love to be on the dock side to watch the docking and loading activities.

Lots of factors can account for which side a ship goes alongside, not least of which are the weather, tidal conditions and requirements of the local Harbour Master.

In our experience, the ship did dock both Port & Stbd sides alongside, but mostly the Stbd side. When it is a storing port, the ship always endeavours to dock Stbd side alongside, as the storing area on the M1/I95 has a shell door on the Stbd side.

Docking Port side alongside at a storing port causes much more work for the crew.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2021 at 10:36 AM, Twitchly said:

I think I used the wrong terminology. We bring these (though ours have 2 USB-A plugs and 2 USB-C). No extension cord needed.

4B02A64D-8C3C-4CCB-9734-E0604C395503.jpeg

Where might I find this plug? Amazon? Apple? It looks like a great idea/design!

7 hours ago, copper004 said:

Where might I find this plug? Amazon? Apple? It looks like a great idea/design!

We got ours on Amazon. It’s by Minix. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0892K4ZHH

This model has one less plug but comes with a bunch of international adapters. Nice. https://www.amazon.com/MINIX-Charging-Compatible-NEO-P1/dp/B08M3SFWKB/ref=s_2/131-4007617-9547524

Anker is another well-known company that makes wall chargers, also sold on Amazon.

12 hours ago, Twitchly said:

We got ours on Amazon. It’s by Minix. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0892K4ZHH

This model has one less plug but comes with a bunch of international adapters. Nice. https://www.amazon.com/MINIX-Charging-Compatible-NEO-P1/dp/B08M3SFWKB/ref=s_2/131-4007617-9547524

Anker is another well-known company that makes wall chargers, also sold on Amazon.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, LinnieRed said:

Hoping someone can answer a question: we are taking a long cruise on the Orion. Are there fitness classes? The pictures of the fitness center seem pretty small, wondering if there are spin bikes. Thank you in advance.

Search You Tube for a Viking Orion Ship Tour and you'll get a better idea of the fitness center size and amenities.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

Search You Tube for a Viking Orion Ship Tour and you'll get a better idea of the fitness center size and amenities.

Good suggestion!  The video below shows the fitness center on Orion, starting 9 minutes 16 seconds in. 

1 hour ago, JeriGail said:

59 minutes ago, Eggtuary said:

Good suggestion!  The video below shows the fitness center on Orion, starting 9 minutes 16 seconds in. 

Thanks! I will check out the video.  And thanks particularly for the timing info. Limited streaming capabilities here in the North. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LinnieRed said:

Hoping someone can answer a question: we are taking a long cruise on the Orion. Are there fitness classes? The pictures of the fitness center seem pretty small, wondering if there are spin bikes. Thank you in advance.

my sister used the fitness center everyday when we were on the Orion in July. Her is what she said”

“They do not have spin bikes like in the spin classes. There are no classes due to Covid. There are up right bikes in the cardio area with the treadmills and ellipticals. But remember you have to sign up for a specific time in the workout room at the spa. I pretty  much had the 6 am slot to myself. “

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Azulann said:

my sister used the fitness center everyday when we were on the Orion in July. Her is what she said”

“They do not have spin bikes like in the spin classes. There are no classes due to Covid. There are up right bikes in the cardio area with the treadmills and ellipticals. But remember you have to sign up for a specific time in the workout room at the spa. I pretty  much had the 6 am slot to myself. “

Thanks to you and your sister for this info. I appreciate the solid facts. 

• Like 1

Just starting to pack and looking forward to being on board. Just got a couple of questions. Do we get given bottles of water to take off the ship on excursions or do I need to pack a refillable bottle?

Is there a library onboard to borrow books (fiction) or should I pack some books myself?

37 minutes ago, diana11 said:

Just starting to pack and looking forward to being on board. Just got a couple of questions. Do we get given bottles of water to take off the ship on excursions or do I need to pack a refillable bottle?

Is there a library onboard to borrow books (fiction) or should I pack some books myself?

On Jupiter last month, we could pick up a plastic bottle of water right before leaving the ship.   Since we were going out to Iceland (on cool side), and on Viking excursions (stops available), I seldom took one.  But they WERE made available. 

As for fiction books, I saw very few.  There are books in various places, but no real library, and very few of the books were fiction books.  I took a paperback on the trip to read.  But the Iceland itinerary was port-intensive, and I ended up not even starting it.  But if you're an avid reader, you should probably pack books or a device loaded with books, or buy a paperback in the airport.  On the other hand, for entertainment while in your room, you could check out the TV, as there's a variety of things on it, not just the usual movies and TV series. 

44 minutes ago, diana11 said:

Bottles of water are provided as you leave the ship for an excursion.

There are numerous bookcases with lots of  books available to read: fiction, nonfiction , history etc. Guest relations has a list of them and where they are located. Most are found in the Living Room , first and second floor,  and the upper Explore lounge. Enjoy! 

49 minutes ago, diana11 said:

There is a library, and there are scattered books elsewhere on the ship. But I recall seeing mostly non-fiction. I would bring something to read. But then, I never travel without my Kindle. 

Edited by Twitchly

1 hour ago, diana11 said:

Your questions have been answered but no one (unless I missed it) had told you that there is a “share your book” shelf located in the Living Room. Starboard side in the furtherest forward section. Never know what the selection might be but worth checking out. 

I just booked my first Viking cruise on the Orion in November this year from FLL to LA via the Panama Canal.  This topic may have already been discussed, but I just don't want to read 50 some pages to find out!  I will be sailing solo.  What kinds of programs does Viking have for solos?  Will solos be able to dine together during Covid?

Thanks, 

Kathy

2 hours ago, diana11 said:

Yes - the Viking Ocean ships have countless places onboard where there are numerous books you can "borrow" and read.  We always begin our cruises with browsing through the various bookshelves and picking up some interesting books.  Of course, please return them before the cruise end.  There were all kinds of books from fiction to non-fiction, and a decent amount of "Exploration and Travel" type books which is to be expected.  The explorers lounge, the reading areas by the Wintergarden, and the first floor seating areas by the attrium are just a few of the many places you can find books.

Re:  water - Viking is very good about this.  They want everyone hydrated.  They have, for us, always given you a bottle of water on your way off the ship, and often, have given us a bottle on our return (on our Bermuda trip for sure since it was so hot!).   No need to bring your own, but some people did.

2 hours ago, diana11 said:

On Viking Sun, at the gangway they had tables with bottles of water, with crew members handing them out. If no crew it was self-service. No limits on the number of bottles provided.

We did take re-fillable water bottles with us and topped them up from the H2O dispensers in the World Cafe.

Viking has an extensive Library aboard the ships with over 1,000 books. Unlike mega ships, the books are distributed among the Suites and in various lounges. Each book has a label on the inside that identifies where it should be located. The library is on the honour system, so no crew members check out books for you, you simply take a book and hopefully return it to the correct lounge.

As others mentioned, the books are predominantly non-fiction, but they also have a section for swapping books and those were mostly non-fiction. On the Sun, this was located in the Living Room on Dk 1.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Vagabondvoyager said:

I just booked my first Viking cruise on the Orion in November this year from FLL to LA via the Panama Canal.  This topic may have already been discussed, but I just don't want to read 50 some pages to find out!  I will be sailing solo.  What kinds of programs does Viking have for solos?  Will solos be able to dine together during Covid?

Thanks, 

Kathy

When we've sailed on Viking Ocean in the past (pre-Covid) I don't think there were any activities for a particular group, but I could be wrong.  With Covid, on the Iceland cruise, I'm pretty sure there weren't any.  

Perhaps someone else can comment on the dining situation - whether you can show up as a group (either a group of people you met on board or a group you're traveling with) and dine together for meals.  I have seen mention of people meeting kindred souls on board and dining together, so I don't think that will be impossible for you if you happen to make some friends onboard.  And if nothing else, you can dine wherever you want at the World Cafe, as you simply sit where you want there.  So that may make it easier to find some dining partners, or at least be close to others that may want to strike up a conversation with you.   And Mamsen's is kind of nice if you want a waffle breakfast, or a snack by yourself.  You can sit, not just at the tables they have set up.  I sit by the window in a comfy chair, put my plate/drinks on a coffee table and enjoy the relative quiet.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2021 at 7:46 AM, Vagabondvoyager said:

Thanks, 

Kathy

In the 9/1/21 Viking TV broadcast about the Viking World Cruises there was a specific question and response related to solo travelers.  My recollection was that for the longer World Cruise segments they assign a crew member (Assistant Cruise Director of entertainer) to help ensure the solo travelers don't feel alienated: they coordinate a meet and greet session for the solo travelers, coordinate some events for the solos, and reserve dining spots so that solo travelers aren't dining alone.  While the video is 1: 23:11 long, the question on solo travers was several questions into the Q&A section starting and can be found at 1:12:45. Very entertaining video filled with useful information.  https://youtu.be/vm7owkYAHvM

4 hours ago, UWDawg said:

In the 9/1/21 Viking TV broadcast about the Viking World Cruises there was a specific question and response related to solo travelers.  My recollection was that for the longer World Cruise segments they assign a crew member (Assistant Cruise Director of entertainer) to help ensure the solo travelers don't feel alienated: they coordinate a meet and greet session for the solo travelers, coordinate some events for the solos, and reserve dining spots so that solo travelers aren't dining alone.  While the video is 1: 23:11 long, the question on solo travers was several questions into the Q&A section starting and can be found at 1:12:45. Very entertaining video filled with useful information.  https://youtu.be/vm7owkYAHvM

Thank you for the link to the video.  It was quite informative and the pictures were great!

Kathy

Being a fan of bare-it-all European spas, I wonder if it is generally thought okay to dispense with one’s swimming costume when using the ladies sauna/plunge pool and the mixed steam room/ice room, etc?! There is nothing like saunas and steam rooms for destroying swimwear!

I’d much rather use a towel for modesty and to save other people’s possible embarrassment if it is acceptable. And I’d wear swimwear in the pool. Any thoughts?

Oh, and what are the arrangements at the moment for booking and using the spa area?

On 9/8/2021 at 9:33 AM, Clay Clayton said:

Your questions have been answered but no one (unless I missed it) had told you that there is a “share your book” shelf located in the Living Room. Starboard side in the furtherest forward section. Never know what the selection might be but worth checking out. 

It is called "Book Exchange" and I took a picture of it today, September 10, 2021 on the Viking Orion.  Looks like a good selection of books at least at this time.

45129F51-09BE-4A17-8253-6C64B6CF062C.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3