Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

16 hours ago, CharTrav said:

But .. will admit .. one person's "just right" is another person's "hard as rocks".😀

on the topic of "hard as rocks" - learned about that staying in a 5 star conference hotel in Japan (only time I've ever been there...so far). My room had two double beds so I chose one. Which was - believe me - hard as rocks. Think it was a board with sheets. Between enormous jet lag and that bed, my first night was the epitome of miserable. Can't remember now if I suffered for one or two nights but do know that by Monday afternoon I was feeling like I was carrying around a 100 pound sack on my back so gave up on the conference and went back to my room. As luck would have it, I sat down on the other bed and discovered to my utter surprise that it was a normal (to me)  mattress! As you might expect, I shifted over to that bed for the rest of the week. 😁 

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, esther e said:

Just curious -- I am a solo traveler and wonder if Viking has a meet and greet or social hour for solos, to get to know one another.

They used to have them pre-COVID.

They did NOT on our Bermuda post COVID cruise, just as they do not promote or encourage get togethers at all now.

Who knows what will happen though?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, esther e said:

Just curious -- I am a solo traveler and wonder if Viking has a meet and greet or social hour for solos, to get to know one another.

Are you on one of the sailings which had no single supplement up charge?

I know it was a great promotion. Some on our roll call  are traveling solo because of it. 

I would expect the CD or whoever would have a get together  for solos. I think the tables  and seating near the pool bar would work. The roof above  the pool is open usually . Or outside beyond the aquavit bar... 

11 hours ago, esther e said:

See post #1272 for a summary of comments from Viking when a similar "solos" question was raised for the World Cruise.  I'd assume they do something similar for the other VO cruises, but others might be better able to respond.

My wife asked me to ask this for her to potentially save on packing.

In Deluxe Balcony rooms, is there a magnified makeup mirror? I cant see it listed and cant see it in any photo's or the 360's - but I can see there is a wall mounted one in the explorer suite 360. Stand alone is fine. 

Something she can avoid packing hopefully if there is one or available if requested.

17 hours ago, Azulann said:

Are you on one of the sailings which had no single supplement up charge?

I know it was a great promotion. Some on our roll call  are traveling solo because of it. 

I would expect the CD or whoever would have a get together  for solos. I think the tables  and seating near the pool bar would work. The roof above  the pool is open usually . Or outside beyond the aquavit bar... 

I have a voucher from a cancelled Iceland cruise.  I re-booked it for something in 2023, but then decided that was too far out and found the one for November.  I originally had a single supplement and not sure it was carried over.

6 hours ago, les37b said:

In Deluxe Balcony rooms, is there a magnified makeup mirror? I cant see it listed and cant see it in any photo's or the 360's - but I can see there is a wall mounted one in the explorer suite 360. Stand alone is fine. 

Something she can avoid packing hopefully if there is one or available if requested.

I don't remember one in our deluxe veranda room last month, but hopefully someone else will confirm.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I don't remember one in our deluxe veranda room last month, but hopefully someone else will confirm.

Though I haven't used it, I know that in our veranda cabin there was a panel that lifts up on the desk with a space beneath and there is a mirror there. Not certain if it is a magnifying mirror, but it would make sense to be so.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, les37b said:

On the desk, the lid raises to reveal a make-up type area with what I believe was a  magnifying mirror. DW used it.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, les37b said:

I pack a small travel one.  I also bring a little suction cup and stick it to bathroom mirrors.  It works perfectly. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2021 at 8:58 AM, les37b said:

Hi Les

Definitely no magnifying mirror in the stateroom or shower-room.  The one under the desk is not magnified and the DW says it is as much use as a chocolate teapot for putting makeup on - its just at the wrong angle - for her anyway!  And we've usually got stuff on the top of the desk as well, so thats a bit of a nuisance too.  So she brings her own.  (We've been on Sky, Sun and Star in DV's and recently a PJS, none in any of those staterooms.) 

We have been told that you can ask for one, but DW always brings her own, easier that way!

Enjoy your cruise - it will be worth all the hoops you've jumped through to get there!  

• Thanks 1