Reasonable time to land FLL and get to my ship that day via taxi, etc?

PaperSniper4

Our cruise is mid January 2018. Our Celebrity ship departs Port Everglades 1630 (430PM) on a Sunday.

I am comparing the costs of driving to Port Everglades from our home - it's about 1000 miles each way. I am also looking at the costs of flying, the available FLL arrival times, and wondering what is a reasonable airport arrival time considering our 430PM ship's departure.

For those of you who have flown into FLL and departed on your cruise that same day, what do you consider a reasonably amount of time? I figure around noon for a 430PM ship departure? I know the FLL airport and Port Everglades are pretty close together, but I do not know what to expect at the airport, claiming bags, findin transportation,etc. Does a noon arrival sound reasonable? Depending on flight arrival times, we might have to fly to FLL a day early and spend a pre-cruise night in a hotel - I figure $200 for that. So that would make driving a bit more attractive.

Recommendations for FLL arrival for a 430PM ship departure from Port Everglades?

Thanks.:cool:

Our cruise is mid January 2018. Our Celebrity ship departs Port Everglades 1630 (430PM) on a Sunday.

I am comparing the costs of driving to Port Everglades from our home - it's about 1000 miles each way. I am also looking at the costs of flying, the available FLL arrival times, and wondering what is a reasonable airport arrival time considering our 430PM ship's departure.

For those of you who have flown into FLL and departed on your cruise that same day, what do you consider a reasonably amount of time? I figure around noon for a 430PM ship departure? I know the FLL airport and Port Everglades are pretty close together, but I do not know what to expect at the airport, claiming bags, findin transportation,etc. Does a noon arrival sound reasonable? Depending on flight arrival times, we might have to fly to FLL a day early and spend a pre-cruise night in a hotel - I figure $200 for that. So that would make driving a bit more attractive.

Recommendations for FLL arrival for a 430PM ship departure from Port Everglades?

Another suggestion would be drive to Nashville (preferably the day before) spend the night at a hotel that will let you park & fly, then catch a nonstop Southwest flight into FLL the day of.

The safest thing to do, though, is fly in the day before as others have suggested.

End of March, we arrived on a SW flight at FLL at 9am on cruise day. We were at PE terminal 19 before 10am via Uber. The whole week before the flight, there were rain and thunderstorm in the tristate area. We were worried the whole time our flight might be affected or even our luggage may be delayed. We were lucky. But we regret not flying a day before like we used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And if your noon arrival is delayed until 4:00 or later because of weather, mechanical issues or crew delays? The smart cruiser ALWAYS flies in at least one day early, just in case.

Your entire scenario is just too risky. Even IF there are no weather problems in January, your timeline is too tight. Noon arrival would mean getting to the ship at 1:30 if everything runs perfectly.

All aboard Time is 3:30. You leave yourself very little leeway.

Even if your flight was from 500 miles away, that is still cutting it close. January has lots of delays. $200 per night for a hotel room

Is not realistic is you wish to stay very near the cruise port, but if you stay much further away, it would be realistic. Rates for hotels are in the $250-350 per night range in the cruise port area.

We once flew about 1,000 miles from Calif to Vancouver to catch a ship leaving at 5 pm, and we left on a flight at 8:30 am, hadca plane change, had to turn around mid flight and go back to airport and wait for another aircraft to become available. It was then 11:00 am, we took off again for the second leg of the flight for the second time, and when we got to Vancouver we couldn't land due to some problem, so we had to go into a holding pattern.

So, by the time we landed and in our case, got through immigration, we boarded a bus at 2:00 pm and arrived at the cruise port by 3:00. Not a lot of Time to spare.

We will NEVER cut it that close again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And if your noon arrival is delayed until 4:00 or later because of weather, mechanical issues or crew delays? The smart cruiser ALWAYS flies in at least one day early, just in case.

I agree ..... safest to spend the night before departure relatively close to the port. Yes, will be more expensive but regard it as insurance for your trip.

You've spent a few thousand for a beautiful cruise vacation don't ruin it now.

Sure, you might make it to the ship on time but, it's not worth the stress of rushing and hoping everything works out perfectly.

Noon is way too late. If you must fly in that day try and get into Florida early a.m. Otherwise arrive a day in advance and be relaxed and ready instead of feeling like mashed potatoes.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

The only Celebrity ship departing on a Sunday in January from Port Everglade is the Silhouette on January 14, 2018 and it departs at 4:00 PM NOT 4:30 PM, so you have even less margin or error flying in same day.

Southwest's schedule only goes to Sunday, January 7, 2018, but it lists two nonstop flights from Nashville on Sunday morning, 6:00 AM arriving 9:10 AM and 8:30 AM arriving 11:45 AM. It would be wise to opt for the 6:00 AM flight, though, or even better the 1:45 PM on Saturday. Right now you can get either of those flights for $129 one way and they might get cheaper.

For those of you who have flown into FLL and departed on your cruise that same day, what do you consider a reasonably amount of time?... Recommendations for FLL arrival for a 430PM ship departure from Port Everglades?

You won't get one from me either. It doesn't matter who has done it before and did it successfully, it just doesn't matter. We missed a connection once in Toronto in April (nevermind January!) by 5 minutes due to snow. Thankfully it was the day before because our re-scheduling would have us miss the ship if it had been same-day.

I would not, for any reason, fly into Fort Lauderdale the same day my ship departs in January.

A snow storm in any hub city will shut down flights all over the US.

Fly in the day before.

^ Thank you. THIS. Exactly.

For sure fly in a day early. Winter brings weather delays and cancellations. Adding a hotel night will allow you to sleep knowing you are minutes from the port. And Not missing the ship.

If you can't be convinced, at the very least take the earliest morning flight available. Planning an arrival at noon is hurting your odds.

On a side note, we weren't allowed to fly into FLL this Jan. due to the shooting at the airport. Luckily we planned an extra night. Still had to fly instead to Fort Myers and rent a car to get to Miami.

On top of that flying home we hit hurricanes and weren't allowed landing in ATL to catch a connection. Ended up spending the night in Charlotte. Never had we ever been hit with problems going and coming. Was nuts.

Edited by eandj

I would fly in the day before. Whenever we travel from another US port we always aim to fly in the night before. When flying from home (Australia) we aim for 2 days before.

So many things can go wrong. Delays; weather, crew, aircraft, mechanical. Added stress, its just too stressful arriving the day of the cruise.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I get the impression maybe I ought to fly in the day before, or at least arrive much earlier than noon? ;)

Yeah, ya'll confirmed what I was thinking......I have done pre-cruise flights the same day in the past, but never to FLL, and never with a connecting flight. We have done about a dozen to the west coast back when there were one-way flights from Memphis, but those are rare indeed now. I am Scottish so it's hard for me to drop $200+ for just a bed for the night.:')

Thanks to the poster above who mentioned those direct flights from Nashville. I had forgotten about that option. I have also flown from LIT to save a few bucks. We have done those direct flights in the past the same day as a cruise, and yes, even then I worried about our arrival time. It depends on the time of year, weather, etc.

And of course, I can always drive down.....I HATE flying commercial! And I do enjoy driving....but not the packing/unpacking in hotels along the way or on-the-road food! :cool:

Thanks to the poster listing the departure as 1600; I just verified that. When I booked the cruise in February 2016 the departure was listed as 1630 - I will appreciate that extra half hour on board, but it does make airline connections even more troublesome!

Speaking of insurance, we ALWAYS get trip insurance, even though we've only used it once in 20+ years - that was for Irene out of the east coast for a Bermuda trip....sure glad I had it that time! Who would have expected a hurricane in NJ?:confused:

We have had to fly in the day of a cruise, out of sheer necessity, in the past. We ALWAYS made sure to have a nonstop, earliest flight available (from the DC area airports). As many have said, the day before is preferable, if at all possible.

I get the impression maybe I ought to fly in the day before, or at least arrive much earlier than noon? ;)

Yeah, ya'll confirmed what I was thinking......I have done pre-cruise flights the same day in the past, but never to FLL, and never with a connecting flight. We have done about a dozen to the west coast back when there were one-way flights from Memphis, but those are rare indeed now. I am Scottish so it's hard for me to drop $200+ for just a bed for the night.:')

Thanks to the poster above who mentioned those direct flights from Nashville. I had forgotten about that option. I have also flown from LIT to save a few bucks. We have done those direct flights in the past the same day as a cruise, and yes, even then I worried about our arrival time. It depends on the time of year, weather, etc.

And of course, I can always drive down.....I HATE flying commercial! And I do enjoy driving....but not the packing/unpacking in hotels along the way or on-the-road food! :cool:

Thanks to the poster listing the departure as 1600; I just verified that. When I booked the cruise in February 2016 the departure was listed as 1630 - I will appreciate that extra half hour on board, but it does make airline connections even more troublesome!

Speaking of insurance, we ALWAYS get trip insurance, even though we've only used it once in 20+ years - that was for Irene out of the east coast for a Bermuda trip....sure glad I had it that time! Who would have expected a hurricane in NJ?:confused:

I was born and raised 90 miles north of Memphis and lived in Nashville for 8 years so I know the region well. If I want to fly to Memphis to go home, I can't get there from FLL. I have to fly somewhere else to start. I also know flights in and out of MEM are usually overpriced and very few nonstops to destinations, so not only can connecting flights from up north in January be a nightmare, but it increases the chances your luggage will get lost. I've seen quite a few people who were frantic because they are about to leave for a cruise and they have no luggage, which of course means no clothes, but no toiletries and in some cases no medication because they packed them all in their checked bags.

As far as extra cost for a hotel...Are you factoring in the cost of parking into your Scottish budget? You're going on a 12 day cruise and parking at Port Everglades is $15 per day (12X$15=$180). Even if you park at one of the discount parking lots you're still going to be around $100. The La Quinta Inn-FLL Airport will let you park free up to 14 days (no need to book any package) with a one night's stay. Currently, their AAA rate is $188.10 for Saturday, January 13,2018. You'll have to taxi or Uber back to and from Port Everglades so that will be $10-$20 each way. Also, have you calculated the tolls driving down? That's another $25-$30 each way unless you take I-95 from Jacksonville.

Are you going to drive over 1,000 miles straight through or will you be overnighting in a hotel somewhere along the way? Nothing like being stressed and tired to start your expensive vacation, only to have to drive back after the cruise. Then you need to get rested again from the vacation and drive home. What happens if you cut it too close and then have car problems or get involved in a car accident? A few years ago in my younger daze, I got stuck overnight in the Knotty Pine Motel in Tullahoma, TN because a blizzard blew through the area in March closing Monteagle Pass (Yes, I know you would go through Birmingham, but they got hit by the blizzard as well). Once it opened again, ice covered the road all the way to Atlanta. Have you ever seen Atlanta drivers on icy roads? Trust me, you do not want to. In the end, it took us 3 days just to get to Daytona.

I think I would drive to Nashville, spend the night in a hotel there with a park & fly policy and take a nonstop flight to FLL.

:confused:

I also am very "frugal", but there are times to spend that extra money and flying in the day before is one of them IMO.

A few years ago we were flying in Jan. from OKC to FLL, via Atlanta, the day before. On our Atlanta to FLL connecting flight we were seated opposite two ladies who were flying the same day as their cruise. They had missed their scheduled connection due to a weather delay and were put on our flight that was scheduled to arrive in FLL at 2:30 PM. They had to be at the pier by 4 PM. Needless to say, they were very concerned about making the ship and certainly it was no way to start a nice cruise! That convinced me to never fly in the same day as the cruise.

Even in the summer things can go wrong (remember the FLL incident a few months ago?). We had a similar situation in OKC that shut the airport down for the entire day earlier this year. You just NEVER know - take it from someone who has flown hundreds of flights over the years - stuff happens!

The extra cost of staying over the night pales in comparison to the cost of missing your ship.

I just noticed your signature, are you okay? I hope all is well with you!

Aww, thanks. Well, no - I haven't talked an awful lot about it on the boards but my cancer has returned, and it is very serious. I have been told by my oncologist not to travel.

I live vicariously through all of you now, so take me somewhere fabulous! :D

Another suggestion would be drive to Nashville (preferably the day before) spend the night at a hotel that will let you park & fly, then catch a nonstop Southwest flight into FLL the day of.

The safest thing to do, though, is fly in the day before as others have suggested.

I am surprised at Southwest airlines prices....well, any carriers' actually for a MEM-FLL-MEM round trip airline ticket. SW's from Memphis was $620 - and of course the flight took around 6+ hours since it connected somewhere. So I checked flights out of SW BNA (Nashville) figuring those would cost less; Nope - still $620 RT! :eek: At least many of those BNA flights were direct.

There must be something I am missing...all the praise I read about SW, doesn't apparently consider their prices? They are by far the most expensive, at least from MEM or BMA to FLL round trip. And the prices above are for one senior. If prices for RT air are really that high I will be driving down! :o

And yep, I have considered all costs associated with driving and flying, including food, taxis, motels, parking and any tolls.

I am surprised at Southwest airlines prices....well, any carriers' actually for a MEM-FLL-MEM round trip airline ticket. SW's from Memphis was $620 - and of course the flight took around 6+ hours since it connected somewhere. So I checked flights out of SW BNA (Nashville) figuring those would cost less; Nope - still $620 RT! :eek: At least many of those BNA flights were direct.

There must be something I am missing...all the praise I read about SW, doesn't apparently consider their prices? They are by far the most expensive, at least from MEM or BMA to FLL round trip. And the prices above are for one senior. If prices for RT air are really that high I will be driving down! :o

And yep, I have considered all costs associated with driving and flying, including food, taxis, motels, parking and any tolls.

Yes, you are missing something and doing something wrong. I have no idea what dates you put into Southwest's search function, but it's impossible that you put in your actual flight dates since Southwest's travel calendar only goes to January 7, 2018, which is a week short of when you will be traveling. On the flights down on the 5th, 6th or 7th I'm seeing one way fares of $104 to $129. Something odd is going on with the return because it's showing a lot of sold out flights. You'll just have to wait until Southwest extends their schedule and see what they will be when you need to travel, but I'm sure they won't be anything close to what you're quoting.

I agree with the advice to fly in the day before, but on the rare occasions that we've used cruiseline-arranged flights, they've always been early on departure day. For example, a flight from O'Hare left at 7 AM for a Miami departure at 4:00 PM. On another flight to Orlando for a Port Canaveral departure. In that case, we had to stand in line interminably for a rental car, drive to the port, park and board.

Fortunately, we had no problems with weather or air traffic in either case, but what would the cruiseline have done if their pax were delayed?

Nashville resident here; fly SW almost everywhere, including FLL, and have never paid anything close to that. Wait until SW extends the schedule on June 22 and put in your actual travel dates.

The same day plan you've outlined is a recipe for disaster.

Roz