Drones on a ship!

stoneman56

OK this is a bit out there. I have a drone, whats the low down on being able to use it while in a port. I would love to get some footage of the Epic, but understand that authorities might shoot the thing out of the sky:')

First, you need to find out if NCL allows them. Then, you need to look up the legalities in the ports you will be visiting.

I don't know about NCL, but I know that Carnival allows them, but does not allow them to be used onboard. They can be taken off and used in ports, assuming its allowed in the port. NCL MIGHT have a similar rule, but you would need to check.

OK this is a bit out there. I have a drone, whats the low down on being able to use it while in a port. I would love to get some footage of the Epic, but understand that authorities might shoot the thing out of the sky:')

Most foreign ports do not allow them and you could risk confiscation and even arrest!

https://uavsystemsinternational.com/drone-laws-by-country/

Another important safety issue to check out - are the BATTERIES deemed safe for transport

carriage and storage on a vessel.

Lithium batteries raises so many questions and issues.

A sales point that may require a NCL official to view sanction the operation would be PR

video of the ship from aloft - sharing it with NCL for advertisement purposes.

This I think NCL would prefer to have done by a professional rather than an amateur.

I believe that one of the RCL ships has a crane like gondola device elevating several feet

above and extending out over the ship for dramatic views.

Closing:

Operation of a drone near vicinity of an airport i.e. Boston's Logan Airport and the Black

Falcon Cruise Terminal could have otherwise factors prohibiting use !

Nice TOY but is it worth the hassle to bring it along ?

I believe that one of the RCL ships has a crane like gondola device elevating several feet above and extending out over the ship for dramatic views.

Quantum' date=' Anthem, and Ovation of the Seas.

[img']http://cleditorial.s3.amazonaws.com/article/cruising101/all-about-cruising/quantum-preview/north-star.jpg[/img]

Anthem1-592x444.jpg

I always laugh when I hear people talk about drones as if they were something new or recent. They have been around for decades, we just used to call them model airplanes or RC primer. :)

They didn't have HD quality cameras,that's why people are so excited about them,not the aspect of flying,but the video captured.

The point remains, they are still merely model airplanes with perhaps a slightly different configuration. Of course the marketers had to come up with a new clever name to trick people into thinking we are buying something amazingly new. WAY over priced though.

I think the difference between what is available now and what was available 20 years ago is the ease with which you can fly them. With the gyroscopes, accelerometers, gps, etc in the drones they almost fly themselves. Not to mention the camera capabilities. I remember flying RC helicopters back in the day and even though they had gyroscopes in them back then they were not nearly as stable as the quad and octocopters being used for photography nowadays. Almost anyone can pick up a multi-rotor flyer and be flying without any practice or instruction. This is why I think some cruiselines (NCL) have opted not to allow them onboard. Allowing a drone to be flown around the ship by an unskilled operator is an accident waiting to happen.

I can't speak to the rules while in international ports, however, there are now laws against flying a drone over crowds of people or populated areas, as well as within 5 miles of any airport. Punishable by fines up to $10,000.00 per violation.

• 1 month later...
I always laugh when I hear people talk about drones as if they were something new or recent. They have been around for decades, we just used to call them model airplanes or RC primer. :)

Yeah... sure.

And I'm not buying your bridge, either.

As at least one person can attest to NCL will take your drone when you board and store it. When you leave the ship you can get it back to use. I will also add when traveling with my drone I always carry the batteries in a fireproof bag made for them

The point remains, they are still merely model airplanes with perhaps a slightly different configuration. Of course the marketers had to come up with a new clever name to trick people into thinking we are buying something amazingly new. WAY over priced though.

You don't know what you are talking about. They are far more than any R/C plane. Many sensors, gyros, onboard GPS, some have 2........Forward Vision System, Backward Vision System, Downward Vision System, Obstacle Sensory