Just Back from The Pacific Princess Panama Canal Cruise May 12, 2017

Woobstr112G

Here is my review that I submitted to Cruise Critic:

DW and I returned last week from our Panama Canal cruise on the Pacific Princess, This was our 11th cruise in a row on Princess and our 18th cruise overall. It was also our first time on the Pacific Princess which is the line's only small ship. It is 30,000 tons and carries only 600 passengers. I must admit that prior to the cruise we had a very nice roll call wherein we all got to know each other while we waited for the voyage to happen.

For our pre-cruise activities, we stayed for two days at the Hilton Doubletree in San Pedro. The hotel was very nice and was right next to a marina. I would highly recommend this hotel for those considering a pre-cruise stay in and around San Pedro. On the first day of our stay, DW relaxed while I walked around the marina taking a bunch of pictures. On the second day, I met a few fellow roll call members for dinner in Long Beach.

On embarkation day, we took advantage of the hotel's free shuttle service for our short ride to the cruise terminal. Since the Pacific Princess is a small ship,embarkation was a breeze and we were on board in no time,

Our roll call had a Meet & Greet, hosted by a very wonderful lady in her cabin. The event was well attended and was a great way to finally be able to put faces to people we got to know online during the span of our roll call.

I must admit that I was initially was very apprehensive about sailing on a ship so small as it would not be able to offer the amenities of the bigger ships I had previously sailed on. Boy was I wrong as the pacific The Pacific Princess is now my favorite Princess ship. If I were to list everything single thing that I liked about this beautiful ship, we'd be here all night. Suffice to say, the ship was a culmination of everything that I like about cruising. The dark wood throughout the ship was amazing, It really, to meat least, reminded me about the golden era of ocean cruising. The fact that the ship only hosted 600 passengers meant there were never any lines anywhere. Embarkation and disembarkation were also effortless and without any issues whatsoever. One thing I'd like to specifically mention is was the library. While the library on most of the bigger ships is laughable, the one on this ship is huge and well stocked.

For our voyage, we had an aft (wake view) Owner's Suite 6088. The room had ample space and the balcony was huge, An added bonus, was there was an additional half bathroom right inside the cabin door. Our cabin steward was "Jay" from the Philippines was simply amazing. He took very good care of us during the entire voyage. The only negative regarding the cabin (it didn't bother me) was noticeable vibration when we were sailing at higher speeds.

We had late seating dining in the Club Restaurant. Since the ship is small, there is no ATD. Our waiter Romeo from the Philippines was one of the best waiters I've ever had. His assistant Christopher, also from the Philippines, was also excellent. As far as the food goes, I know it's subjective, I found all offerings to be very good to excellent. One of the highlights of our dining experience was the Matri Di Oscar. This man is fantastic and a definite asset to Princess.

We enjoyed the suite perk of breakfast in Sabatinis. Our waiters Maruis from Romania and Cesar from Mexico were excellent. Cesar was also our waiter for the night we dined in the Grill Restaurant (Sterling's Steakhouse). Service and food in this venue was excellent.

We saw a couple of production shows in the Cabaret Lounge. A special shout out to David Ray Evins who did a Nat King Cole tribute show. This man is simply amazing. During a couple of songs I closed my eyes and swore I was listening to Nat King Cole himself.

As far as shore excursions go, all of our excursions were ship based. In Cabo San Lucas, we had a sailing ship snorkeling excursion that was cancelled due to heavy seas. In San Juan Del Sur Nicaragua we just walked around the area right outside the dock. In Puntarenas Costa Rica we did a Crocodile safari cruise that was quite enjoyable. In Santa Marta Columbia we did a Resort and Folkloric dance show excursion. the dance show was good, but the resort was lacking in a variety of activities. In Aruba we did a snorkeling excursion that was fun and enjoyable.

To end this review, I'd simply like to encourage anyone and everyone to consider booking a cruise on the Pacific Princess. You will not be disappointed.

Bob

Thanks for the review. We spent 10 days on the Pacific Princess in French Polynesia. That was my favorite cruise EVER.

We also did a Canada/New England cruise on the old Royal Princess. It was nice because we went all the way up to Montreal.

Those small ships are a true joy. They may not have the big stage shows of the larger ship but the intimate, old world cruise feel more than makes up for it.

We have cruised on the Pacific Princess many times and agree, she is our favourite ship. Sailing on a small ship is a very different and yet the same as the larger Princess ships.Glad you have joined the many of us that love the small ship experience.

Thanks for the review. We spent 10 days on the Pacific Princess in French Polynesia. That was my favorite cruise EVER.

April 1, 2014. We were there too for our first ever cruise on a Princess small ship. We were right acrosss the street from the dock at Papeete and I had to run over to watch her dock at 8PM the night before we boarded. We liked Pacific Princess so much we stayed onboard all the way back to Vancouver 32 days after we boarded. Then 1 month later we flew to England and boarded sister ship Ocean Princess at Dover for 30 days and 2 months later still we boarded Pacific Princess again at Vancouver for 12 days back to Honolulu. A 12 day Hawaii cruise with 6 stops at Hawaii as compared to the normal 15 day Hawaii cruises with only 4 stops. 74 days on the two little ships in a 6 month time frame.

Last summer we finally made it back on board Pacific for another 30 days around GB and up the Norway coast. We are hoping to be back onboard our very favourite Princess ship again real soon and praying that they keep her around for several more years as they have said they will do.

AE_Collector

Loved your review! Brings back wonderful memories of both the Tahitian (then Ocean, and now gone from the fleet) and the lovely Pacific cruises of my own. I specifically booked a cruise on the Pacific for my 77th birthday last year because I just love being onboard her.

Oscar is such a hoot, and I am hoping he will still be onboard in a few months, when I will be back on the Pacific Princess again for 23 days.

Loved your review! Brings back wonderful memories of both the Tahitian (then Ocean, and now gone from the fleet) and the lovely Pacific cruises of my own. I specifically booked a cruise on the Pacific for my 77th birthday last year because I just love being onboard her.

Oscar is such a hoot, and I am hoping he will still be onboard in a few months, when I will be back on the Pacific Princess again for 23 days.

I seem to remember that one of the head waiters told me Oscar was going on vacation and would be back on the PP sometime in September.....

Bob

We will be boarding the Pacific Princess on the 15th of July. We have never sailed such a small ship and are becoming more and more excited to experience all that you mentioned. Our stateroom will be very close to where yours was, we have an aft balcony. Thanks for your review!

We will be boarding the Pacific Princess on the 15th of July. We have never sailed such a small ship and are becoming more and more excited to experience all that you mentioned. Our stateroom will be very close to where yours was, we have an aft balcony. Thanks for your review!

I must admit that I was a little concerned about sailing on a ship that was just over 1/4 the size of most of the other Princess ships I've sailed. Now that I've sailed her, I can honestly say that she is my new favorite cruise ship. Don't forget to check out my Flickr album for the cruise.....:):):)

Bob

I seem to remember that one of the head waiters told me Oscar was going on vacation and would be back on the PP sometime in September.....

Bob

Thanks for sharing that info. I will keep my fingers crossed that he's back for at least one leg of my cruise.

Agree with kenswing. Pacific princess French Polynesia is still our favorite. Wish they would bring that itinerary back.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Forums mobile app

Us too. Times 1000000. That ship on that itinerary will never be matched.

Count us in that group too!!!

So happy that we got to do it twice (once on the Tahitian and once on the old Royal - both B2B so really 4 cruises) but would SO, SO, SO LOVE to do it again!!! :hearteyes:

Count us in that group too!!!

So happy that we got to do it twice (once on the Tahitian and once on the old Royal - both B2B so really 4 cruises) but would SO, SO, SO LOVE to do it again!!! :hearteyes:

I've got my eye on the Pacific Princess' 29 Day Mediterranean Grand Adventure (November 23, 2018). Absolutely killer itinerary on my new favorite ship. I don't think I'll be able to convince my DW to agree to the sailing, but I still can dream.....:):):)

Bob

I've got my eye on the Pacific Princess' 29 Day Mediterranean Grand Adventure (November 23, 2018). Absolutely killer itinerary on my new favorite ship. I don't think I'll be able to convince my DW to agree to the sailing, but I still can dream.....:):):)

Bob

Bob

You should check out Jeannie's ( Pescado Amarillo) blog.

http://www.pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com

They did that cruise this year and the crossing was pretty rough that late in the season.

We did the 14 day Caribbean cruise immediately after that one and hope to do it again in 2018 .

Bob

You should check out Jeannie's ( Pescado Amarillo) blog.

http://www.pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com

They did that cruise this year and the crossing was pretty rough that late in the season.

We did the 14 day Caribbean cruise immediately after that one and hope to do it again in 2018 .

Will do, thanks for the heads up.....:):):)

Bob