Umbrellas provided by ships?

mlbcruiser

Probably pretty unlikely, but I am wondering if most river cruise ships (in particularly Emerald Waterways) loan umbrellas to passengers on rainy days like some all-inclusives and hotels do? I seem to recall reading a review (not necessarily an Emerald review) where the poster mentioned the ship providing umbrellas.

Hope someone knows and thanks for any info!

Surely it's more convenient to have a waterproof jacket with a hood?

I'm not a fan of umbrellas, esp in towns with narrow sidewalks & lots of people. That said - I don't really like hoods either, though I do usually travel with a goretex raincoat that has a hood. Depending on the forecast, I'll also bring a goretex hat -hats with brims tend to do a better job keeping rain off my glasses than a hood does....

I think Avalon has umbrellas too....

Not if you wear glasses, or want to protect your camera while taking pictures (one handed).

I can't manage an umbrella with everything else, so....That's why I like broad brimmed goretex hats best:hearteyes: (though we'll also just take out the waterproof camera if it's gushing.....)

Thanks, wishIwerecruisin - same here, G'town alum living in NC

hoyaheel.jpg.cdb7c0637dfcb90091250de215417068.jpg

Thanks for all of the replies!

Actually, I have had Totes umbrellas. Both the mini (their lightest) ones and the ones just a tad larger. Totes umbrellas do tend to be a bit heavy, though. We have a couple of so-so umbrellas that are collapsible and smaller. One is larger than the other but neither are that sturdy. I haven't heard of the Shedrain ones, but they sound helpful. Especially since the unvented, smaller umbrellas often blow inside out - or the threads holding the fabic part of the umbrella to the tips of the frame often break. It's a bit late to mess with ordering for this trip as I don't want to pay for express shipping or even if I want to pack a couple of umbrellas, but I will certainly keep them in mind. (Would make a nice gift someone could give me!) Now that I think of it, some other brands of umbrellas have an opening in the top with sort of a little "tented" piece of fabric that crowns the tip. Maybe the Shedrains are put together differently and the effect is better. The large umbrellas that do not fold into small ones often tend to be sturdier and offer more protection since they are usually larger in diameter when open. A good sized umbrella also often helps protect a purse, backpack or any purchases you have made. If the day is particularly rainy, I'd drag one of the ship's along for sure. Also, I do have a lightweight Columbia brand rain jacket w/a hood that I think has a very small little bill on it. I wear it when I need to, but sometimes use it WITH an umbrella. Basically, I'm trying to avoid bringing ANY umbrellas as I tend to have too much I want to bring anyway! So that's the reason for the question.

For the record, no, Lonestar, I'm not from Melbourne. Those are just my initials and the initials of my favorite pro sport!

Probably pretty unlikely, but I am wondering if most river cruise ships (in particularly Emerald Waterways) loan umbrellas to passengers on rainy days like some all-inclusives and hotels do? I seem to recall reading a review (not necessarily an Emerald review) where the poster mentioned the ship providing umbrellas.

Hope someone knows and thanks for any info!

Yes BUT ...

The umbrellas, based on my Viking experience, are always available and will keep you quite dry since they are big golf style umbrellas. That's the good news.

If there is only a chance of rain or if it's only going probably to be light rain, you might prefer our approach of taking small umbrellas you put in a purse or bag.

I would not like carry a heavy umbrella on a walk just in case it might rain. It's also hard taking pictures while holding a heavy umbrella.

Also you might want to consider the throw-away rain jackets. They are very lightweight and do a good job of keeping the rain off and once you are done with them, just toss them. Cheap. We use these when doing the 3-day breast cancer walk. Very handy to have.

Also you might want to consider the throw-away rain jackets. They are very lightweight and do a good job of keeping the rain off and once you are done with them, just toss them. Cheap. We use these when doing the 3-day breast cancer walk. Very handy to have.

How you would deal with the rain, depends somewhat on the time of the year you're going. For example if you're going in the summer when is likely to be warm, an umbrella is a lot cooler than a rain jacket. In warm weather another layer of clothing is generally not what you'd prefer.