Question about Seward, Alaska

My husband and I are going on an Alaska cruise, on the Mariner, in August. We are going to spend a few days in Anchorage and Denali before riding the train to Seward for embarkation. We arrive in Seward at about 11:30 a.m. Is the cruise port very far from the train station? Does anyone have suggestions on activities or restaurants for lunch. I'm wondering if we should go straight to the ship or do something in Seward? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The distance from the train station to the cruise ship terminal is about 1/2 mile.

I would get settled on board the ship and if you have time you could go back out.

If you like to walk the port is about a 30 to 40 minute walk to downtown Seward.

Keith

We arrived in Seward on the same train, took a taxi to the port/ship ,we were able to board almost straight away and as in the first 20 passengers were in la veranda by 12-20, had lunch and then cabin was ready, unpacked, and then went for a walk in Seward. Its pleasant, but not too much there, just wanted a couple of items from the shops, looked at the fishing port and took in the views.

We also took the train from Anchorage to Seward and the train stopped within a few hundred feet of the ship. No station just stopped on the tracks and there was the ship. Since they did the check in onboard the train, we simply went up the gangway and to our Suite. This was a few years ago so may have been changes but, so easy.

The distance from the train station to the cruise ship terminal is about 1/2 mile.

I would get settled on board the ship and if you have time you could go back out.

If you like to walk the port is about a 30 to 40 minute walk to downtown Seward.

Keith

Really useful information! Thank you!

Have lunch onboard. Then if you want to go out walking around afterward, you can, though we always have good intentions for doing so but then love being on the ship, so just stay onboard.

Everything was in within walking distance between the train and the ship. I remember finding the local supermarket to pick up a few items (like protein bars, nuts) items I wasn't sure the ship would provide. We also had lunch on the ship.

I stayed in Sward-two good places to eat in town. one was better but do not remember the name. the shops were a little different than all daimonds etc.i also went on a tour up to Exit Glacier.