Unsold Suites?

If a large number of suites are available within 90 days of sailing, does Royal Caribbean typically discount the price as the sailing date approaches to try to fill them up and get revenue? Or are they content to let them go unsold and use for top-tier upgrades?

The Oasis sailing we're looking at in August seems to have an awfully large number of crown loft suites available, and I think one of the sky suites is available as well. Curious.

More than likely they will start with people in the next category down and try and sell the rooms off at a discount once the sailing date gets closer. That will usually do the trick for filling the rooms and they can sell off the other persons room too.

We went from a JS to Crown Loft on the Oasis that way.

I just got off Oasis and ran into 2 couples that were offered upgrades. One from a JS to CLS for 1,000 and the other from a CLS to RLS for 2,500. I think with these high dollar suites this is the way they fill them up through the Revenue department. That way no one knows about the discounted rooms that were offered.

If a large number of suites are available within 90 days of sailing, does Royal Caribbean typically discount the price as the sailing date approaches to try to fill them up and get revenue? Or are they content to let them go unsold and use for top-tier upgrades?

They won't let them go unsold and have systems in place to avoid this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Over the years we have had two upsells offered 1 week before sailing.

The first was from a GS On Allure to CL2 for party of 3 adults total $750.

The second was on Allure GS to CL1 for $600 (party of 3).

Yup took both offers.

Now we just book the crown lofts, they got us hooked.

Safe travels.

In July 2016 we were booked in a GS and the price of a CLS went down to lower than a GS about one month before sailing so we upgraded to the Oasis CLS. We did not at all enjoy the CLS and would never book that type of cabin again. Stairs were ridiculous . I should have to shlep all the luggage upstairs?? At night the lights stayed on all night so if you want a dark night, you won't get it We found the upper level was very hot so not comfortable we would never book or upgrade to the CLS. Just IMHO.

In July 2016 we were booked in a GS and the price of a CLS went down to lower than a GS about one month before sailing so we upgraded to the Oasis CLS. We did not at all enjoy the CLS and would never book that type of cabin again. Stairs were ridiculous . I should have to shlep all the luggage upstairs?? At night the lights stayed on all night so if you want a dark night, you won't get it We found the upper level was very hot so not comfortable we would never book or upgrade to the CLS. Just IMHO.

How did you gwt the upgrade to cls if it was less than the price of the gs? I thought after final payment you could only upgrade to a higher category cabin if it cost more. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

How unfortunate that you did not like the CL suites.

For us it is so inviting.

We never had a problem with the temp in the suite.

And the DH takes care of the luggage.

Now we kinda like the lights that dim on the stairs, as a safety feature.

The two complete showers

The upstairs makeup vanity in the hallway.

The windows floor to ceiling

The sit down table.

The deep balcony to take a nap on.

Very attentive cabin attendants on both the Allure and Oasis (MARVA!!!!!! on Allure)

The location, location location.

Private

Love the 17th deck.

Closeness to suite lounge.

Well these are just some of why we book them.

Their is one down side for us........

When we have to pack and go home.

Enjoy, we do

I talked to RCCL rep yesterday to find out the cost of an upgrade from a "hump cabin" balcony to a JS. She gave me the number and then said "don't upgrade now, wait until 90 days out when the price usually drops." So, that's the plan!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The two complete showers

The sit down table.

Very attentive cabin attendants on both the Allure and Oasis (MARVA!!!!!! on Allure)

Private

Love the 17th deck.

Enjoy, we do

I'll have what she's having.. ☺️

The two complete showers

The sit down table.

Private

Love the 17th deck.

Enjoy, we do

I agree with all your points. Especially the quietness and location to suite lounge and ck.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

I agree with all your points. Especially the quietness and location to suite lounge and ck.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

We loved our CLS on our recent Allure cruise. It's going to be hard to sail in a single level suite ever again :p

More than likely they will start with people in the next category down and try and sell the rooms off at a discount once the sailing date gets closer. That will usually do the trick for filling the rooms and they can sell off the other persons room too.

We went from a JS to Crown Loft on the Oasis that way.

Did you inquire about the upgrade or were you contacted? Also was this booking direct or with a TA?

Thanks!

The cabin stewardess should have brought your luggage upstairs.

I admit the light system takes some learning but all lights can be turned off and the room can get completely dark. If you were having problems you should have asked the cabin attendant to show you how the panel worked.

Thanks so much to everyone for responding! I guess it would be better to go ahead and book one of the CLS now that we're inside of 90 days prior to sailing, rather than booking a JS and hoping to upgrade later. It sounds like the amount to upgrade over the JS would probably be about the same as just going ahead and paying for it in full now.

The two complete showers

The sit down table.

Private

Love the 17th deck.

Enjoy, we do

We are twins. Felt the same way about our CL on Allure a few weeks ago. Already booked another one for next year. Can't go back now.

Up-selling is more profitable than you think.

They try to up-sell from the class below and this keeps going down the line until the lowest level cabins gets cheap enough for the bargain hunters. Up selling the the best cabin starts a chain that could end up involving quite a few classes. If you total all the upgrades from the chain it could be several thousand dollars. Then they can sell the lowest level for maybe a $500 discount.

By the time they are done they may end up getting almost full price for the top cabin.

How did you gwt the upgrade to cls if it was less than the price of the gs? I thought after final payment you could only upgrade to a higher category cabin if it cost more. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I think it was actually the same price or a minimal $ extra if I remember right. I think the total cost for TWO for the CLS was $4,100 and it's usually around $7,000 or more. The main thing we really liked was the location on the 17th deck. We had to unpack our suitcases downstairs and run the clothes etc upstairs. If we were young people (DH is 82) with great knee's we might have enjoyed it. There were many trip hazards in that cabin, mostly associated with the stairs, as well so for the handicapped, not a good call.

I think it was actually the same price or a minimal $ extra if I remember right. I think the total cost for TWO for the CLS was $4,100 and it's usually around $7,000 or more. The main thing we really liked was the location on the 17th deck. We had to unpack our suitcases downstairs and run the clothes etc upstairs. If we were young people (DH is 82) with great knee's we might have enjoyed it. There were many trip hazards in that cabin, mostly associated with the stairs, as well so for the handicapped, not a good call.

Should have gotten 1742 it has an elevator in it extra wide too

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Should have gotten 1742 it has an elevator in it extra wide too

My wife cannot walk stairs so the only time we were in a CLS, we were in 1742. We loved 1742 but, since it is the only handicapped suite on any RCCL ship (other than JS's), it is hard to book unless you grab it on the day new bookings open up. I do not think 1742 is ever available as an Upsell. In fact, I think the chance of being offered any Upsell when one is booked in a handicapped room is practically zero.

Thank you for sharing all this information. We are booked in two GS in February on Harmony to celebrate my sister making it through her cancer treatments, and I just found out that a work requirement will make it impossible for me to travel the week we are booked. I have been scrambling for a similar cabin, with similar perks, but the prices are so much higher than when we booked I was afraid that we wouldn't be able to find a replacement in a similar cabin/sailing.

It sounds like there is a glimmer of hope, so I will keep checking.