Vegetarian Specialty dining

aotmc

I will be on the Eurodam later this year in the Caribbean. Was hoping to get feedback about vegetarian dishes and which specialty venue are "worth it".

As an over-thinker this is how my train of thought has gone after reviewing menus and options: "Pinnacle looks good, but the veg dish is pasta, so should I just go to Canaletto? But lunch at Pinnacle also offers the same pasta dish and is even less $ than Canaletto... but will I lose out on the ambiance of Pinnacle? Tamarind also has an appealing menu, but on my last HAL cruise there were plenty of pan asian options through out the MDR and Lido"

Clearly, I'm all over the place... any direction, tips, thoughts, nudges, or experiences to share?

I am not a vegetarian but I often pick the vegetarian options on Gala Night because they are so good - a mushroom risotto or a mushroom ravioli. You can check the menu to see which one is on the Gala menu that night if you want to avoid the mushroom pasta version.

Plus sometimes the large dinner entree salads in the main dining room are also meatless, or the meat portion is added on top of the salad so you could ask to not have it included. Not sure what they offer at the Pinnacle - but maybe they offer those mushroom entrees too?

HAL offers very good vegetarian options throughout the the ship. I hope you will be very happy with your choices. And sometimes they can offer something off the menu too if you let them know what you need/want. Many Indonesians crew members are Buddhist so this is not an unfamiliar request.

I will soon be on my fifth HAL cruise, none the Eurodam, and have always found the vegetarian menu prose far better than the taste. However, always happy with the lido choices. The main dining room and Pinnacle less so, especially the pasta entree's. But the Pinnacle side Vegi's as an entree plate are top shelf.

I am not vegetarian but don't like meat everyday. I think the Mushroom Ravioli in the Pinnacle are very good and even better than the pasta in the Canaletto. I ordered them instead of meat in the evening and felt it was worth it. They are also on the lunch menu in the pinnacle for an even better price. Give them a try.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Forums

I would also recommend the Tamarind for meat free dining.

Dont forget that in the main dining room you can also check out the menu for the next evening and if the dishes are not to your liking can ask to pre order from the vegetarian menu.

Indonesia is 87% Muslim, with .09% Buddhist (from a statistics website). Many times, it is easier for a Muslim to go vegetarian than to try to find Halal meat. So, many of the Indonesian crew members will eat vegetarian.

I was surprised that I had decent options for vegetarian dining on HAL. At least they try to offer something other than the usual starch (pasta) or vegetables. I wish they had more protein options on the vegetarian meals, though.

Unless you are going with people who want their steaks, I wouldn't bother with Pinnacle.

One also needs to include the potential numbers of Hindus among the Indonesian crew, particularly from Bali, who shun meat, though it is not prohibited. Very good meatless meals are a tradition in SEA.

As a lifelong vegetarian I have been through most of the ups and downs of vegetarian dining. Of all the speciality restaurants I find Tamarind to be the best for veggies like myself. I even ate the tofu, and I usually hate tofu!

Pinnacle is ok but probably not worth the upcharge unless your accompanied by a bunch of hungry carnivores :D

I've never tried Canaletto as it just doesn't appeal. Growing up through the 70's and 80's as a vegetarian has left me viewing pasta as the ' oh that again :rolleyes:' option. I'm sure there are many other of us fellow veggies who remember the days when all that seemed to be on offer on restaurants was vegetable lasagne or quiche ... I hate them both now.

Like a fellow poster said earlier , HAL is pretty good for vegetarian cuisine but can lack protein .... There is always at least one evening of a tagine that's crying our for a bit of feta on top, or the delicious but proteinless noodles that I love but bring along a bag of cashews to go with ...

I'm sure you'll be well fed whatever you choose

As a lifelong vegetarian I have been through most of the ups and downs of vegetarian dining. Of all the speciality restaurants I find Tamarind to be the best for veggies like myself. I even ate the tofu, and I usually hate tofu!

Pinnacle is ok but probably not worth the upcharge unless your accompanied by a bunch of hungry carnivores :D

I've never tried Canaletto as it just doesn't appeal. Growing up through the 70's and 80's as a vegetarian has left me viewing pasta as the ' oh that again :rolleyes:' option. I'm sure there are many other of us fellow veggies who remember the days when all that seemed to be on offer on restaurants was vegetable lasagne or quiche ... I hate them both now.

Like a fellow poster said earlier , HAL is pretty good for vegetarian cuisine but can lack protein .... There is always at least one evening of a tagine that's crying our for a bit of feta on top, or the delicious but proteinless noodles that I love but bring along a bag of cashews to go with ...

The HAL MDR Veggie Menu definately looks worth a try!;)

Vegetarian proteins:

Lido from time to time now has quinoa salads, and they do include beans in some dinner entree salads, along with cheese or eggs for those lactose-ovo vegetarians.

When we first cruised HAL I remember seeing a lot of what I called "wet vegetables" (plate of steamed vegetables) as their sole vegetarian option and know the cheese sauce on wet vegetables days too, One thing we learned is no one does potatoes better than the Dutch, so the mashed potatoes and vegetables sides at Pinnacle can be quite nice.

Canaletto has had some great grilled and marinated vegetable antipastos that can pratically make a meal, with some cheese and bread ....with dessert naturally ... so hopefully those are still available on their menu.

In my experience, the first night has had a few veg options on the regular menu in the MDR (noted by a leaf) and there is always the pasta bar, the great salad bar, or sides in the Lido that make a full meal.

As for the night after a specialty restaurant, I just have called dining in the morning to order off the special Veg/Vegan menu for that night if I didn't like what was being offered on the MDR main menu.

Hope this helps!

How does one order mdr vegetarian for the first night or for a night after a specialty restaurant?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

How does one order mdr vegetarian for the first night or for a night after a specialty restaurant?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

For dining the night after a specialty restaurant, go to the MDR after your dinner at the specialty restaurant to get the menu for the following day and make your selections then.

Yes, you can request it on your first day aboard, from your server or by calling dining & they can deliver it to your room. It includes vegetarian and vegan selections, but you need to place your order in advance, usually the morning for the dinner meal.

So to clarify, there is a larger vegetarian menu separate from the vegetarian options that are marked on the regular menu?

Yes, you can request it on your first day aboard, from your server or by calling dining & they can deliver it to your room. It includes vegetarian and vegan selections, but you need to place your order in advance, usually the morning for the dinner meal.

Is this the pre-packaged special diet food they load on the ship before departure? Like for kosher or other restricted diet requests.

• 3 weeks later...

I called our PCC, who specified my DD, on our booking, as vegetarian. She will have access to the vegetarian menu not just the vegetarian option on the MDR menu.

Below is a link to a copy of the vegetarian menu on HAL. It just didn't specify the year. But based on all the other menus listed, it's either late 2016 or 2017.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Vegetarian.pdf

I hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The menu on the above link is what I remember from our cruise on the Zuiderdam in February. I had two Meatless Mondays on that cruise. The first one had enough vegetarian dishes I liked on the regular menu, but I ordered from the special vegetarian menu the second.

I noticed that several carnivore’s (bless their hearts) have weighed in on this subject and thought you all might like to hear from a vegetarian who spent 50 days on the Maasdam.

Here goes:

(don’t get hung up on Part I, it is all better in Part II)

Part I: the vegetarian menu

It looks fabulous; glossy, flowery prose and the menu is gigantic, over the top, impressive. About as authentic as your non-favorite politician! Obviously created by a knowledgeable chef but implemented by the chief plumber. Lets try and be nice, OK, I’ll try: The entrees taste like they were cooked in Seattle, dehydrated, rehydrated and ‘poofed’ in a microwave 3,000 miles away. Hey, it all looks good on paper. Now for the real world….

Part II: great vegetarian options on the regular menu

HAL salads are really good. Take advantage of them as entrée size portions on nights that you absolutely can not take single bite of another curryfied, glorified, mesmerized sounding vegetarian special of the day. HAL salad’s, super sized, along with wholesome whole grain rolls make a very satisfying main course.

The fruit soups although sweet are delicious.

Your waiter can preview each night the next days menu allowing you to order something special, such as a steamed vegetable plate for tomorrow. Additionally the dining room captain told me that anything served in the Lido nighttime was available even if not on the menu. I once took them up on that re a superb green sauced pasta which I wished I had remembered the name of. Likely pesto based.

The Dive In has a grilled mushroom burger that is quite good, but the mushroom disappears on the large bun. No problem, order a double minus the excessive cheese. Really good but the 2 mushrooms placed together have a tendency to slip, slide away. Simple cross slice the mushrooms into strips and reassemble. Don’t forget the fries; yummy.

I am told ships with remodeled Lideo buffets have a vegetarian pizza available and can be customized. A huge improvement!

Pinnacle Grill: the side vegetables are far superior to those in the main dining room. I eat here as often as my carnivore friend wishes, never tiring of their vegetables served as a vegetable plate entree. OMG, the whipped potatoes are the absolute best. Now I see that the Eggplant Parm. includes creamy polenta. I can hardly wait. Can anyone report on the Eggplant?

Canaletto: Their salads are all very good. I have enjoyed the Spaghetti Pomodoro often but once on the Zuiderman it tasted like fresh from a tin can. Maybe they ran out of the real McCoy. Oh yes, the Canaletto house red, Montepulciano D’Abbruzzoi (yes, wine is vegetarian!) is a good value. Speaking of wine, The Spellbound Cabernet on the Admiral’s wine package was so popular on my cruise that the cellar was emptied 3 times. To HAL’s credit they substituted even better wine at same cost. Another reason to love HAL!

You won’t have the least problem eating vegetarian, unless you try and stay on the special Vegetarian Menu (shudder).

I am resailing that 50 day cruise this Oct. and will sweetly (hopefully) decline that ***** vegetarian menu brought anywhere near my table.

bon appetit!

Part I: the vegetarian menu

The entrees taste like they were cooked in Seattle, dehydrated, rehydrated and ‘poofed’ in a microwave 3,000 miles away. Hey, it all looks good on paper. Now for the real world…. 

Does your opinion hold for the appetizers?

I'll give several of them a try (entrees included) in a couple weeks when I am in Alaska. I eat poofed microwave food already. :o)

The vegetarian appetizers are definitely better. Sorry for the omission. Guilty of being too cute with 'poof'!

No worries, many of us are cute on cruise critic...:evilsmile:

I appreciate your opinion. & I'm happy to see offerings beyond risotto & spaghetti with red sauce.