Greece

gwilli

We are considering a Greece cruise, and heard that the ports are so overcrowded in the summer. It's early in the season, but wondering what cruisers are seeing as far as crowds and lines. Any comments?

Thanks!

We are considering a Greece cruise, and heard that the ports are so overcrowded in the summer. It's early in the season, but wondering what cruisers are seeing as far as crowds and lines. Any comments?

Thanks!

What do you mean by 'early in the season'? Peak time tends to be from mid July to first week in September....Our favourite time in the Med is May/June. There is never really a quiet time in the summer but these months and end of September/early October are better although by later October there is more of a risk of rain...

If you have a fixed schedule and need to cruise peak it can be quite easy to miss the biggest crowds in Athens and on the Islands by choosing to hire a car or arrange a private trip to one of the slightly less major sites. For example, Sounion or Corinth from Athens (even easier if you overnight there), or a mountain tour in Crete....You can also get 'breathing space' from the heat by arranging tours that have some inside stops (churches, museums...) rather than coach, photo stop, coach, photo stop....

Hope you manage to find a great cruise!

Thanks!

I can't comment on Greece yet, but we will be in Mykonos in the morning aboard the Reflection. As far as weather goes, it has been fantastic. Rome was warm as it was in the mid eighties, but it is in the mid seventies right now. There has been no rain, very few clouds and little wind. Perfect weather. This has been heaven.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There was an article in yesterday's (Sunday June 11) New York Times Travel Section that Greece bookings are up substantially this year.

Yes. The Russians and Europeans are heading there instead of Turkey. We had a week on Crete in May (lovely time to go) and both hotels we stayed at said they were completely packed for the summer.

When I cruised to the Greek islands in the summer is was incredibly crowded. It was also unbearably hot. Would never do it again at that time of year.

We visited in late July one year and had the same experience. Never again. I've heard from many that May/June and September/October are great times to go.

Yes. The Russians and Europeans are heading there instead of Turkey. We had a week on Crete in May (lovely time to go) and both hotels we stayed at said they were completely packed for the summer.

We,too, were in Crete in May. We spent 6 nights at the Galaxy in Heraklion and 10 nights at the Domes Noruz, near Chania.

It was the second time we did a May vacation in Greece. We did have a mix of weather. A heatwave for a few days, some cool and rainy days and some lovely comfortable and sunny days.Loved it. Would do May or October anytime.

We' date='too, were in Crete in May. We spent 6 nights at the Galaxy in Heraklion and 10 nights at the Domes Noruz, near Chania.

It was the second time we did a May vacation in Greece. We did have a mix of weather. A heatwave for a few days, some cool and rainy days and some lovely comfortable and sunny days.Loved it. Would do May or October anytime.[/quote']

We were also at the Domes :) but only for three nights. We had four at the Blue Palace in Elounda. I think you arrived just as we were leaving if I remember correctly. We had high winds one day and one day we hit 35 ...so hot....but I don't think we saw any rain. Can't wait to go back.

It's four years since we cruised the East Med. Our cruise left Rome on June 3rd. It was hot throughout the whole cruise. Crete and Rhodes in particular. Ports were very busy, but as Chemmo writes, you can avoid those crowds by going to less popular sites or tours.

We holidayed for two weeks in May in Crete. We had very mixed weather. Windy some days with rain. Regardless, the weather was much better than in the UK

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were also at the Domes :) but only for three nights. We had four at the Blue Palace in Elounda. I think you arrived just as we were leaving if I remember correctly. We had high winds one day and one day we hit 35 ...so hot....but I don't think we saw any rain. Can't wait to go back.

I remember now!

Next time, I would like to see Rhodes.

We've done 2 Athens to Rome cruises, both in mif-late September, crowds were not overwhelming except in Athens. Santorni, Rhodes and Corfu were busy, but not so busy you could not avoid the crowds if you tried. Weather was warm, not hot.

We have to visit Greece in high season and in the past we have loved every single second of it. Ok it is busy and hot, but it is just such an amazing place to visit ---- great people and an incredible history. Go and enjoy.

Just back from a 10 night sailing on Reflection from Civitavecchia to Sicily, Malta and the Greek islands of Mykonos, Rhodes and Santorini and then onto Athens (Piraeus) and finally Naples.

Weather good and not too hot for sight seeing and Santorini was only the busiest as it's a tender port and there's limited capacity on the cable car up to and down from Thira.

Here's my review if it's of any use.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2506092