Greece

gwilli

We are considering a Greece cruise, and heard that the ports are so overcrowded in the summer. It's early in the season, but wondering what cruisers are seeing as far as crowds and lines. Any comments? Thanks!

I think some research on the Greece board would be beneficial. What you describe has not been our experience. Oddly enough, just a couple of years ago, people were asking if it was safe to go to Greece, due to the occasional protests.

We are considering a Greece cruise, and heard that the ports are so overcrowded in the summer. It's early in the season, but wondering what cruisers are seeing as far as crowds and lines. Any comments? Thanks!

Our cruise was mid October, was fantastic weather and moderate crowds.

The most was at Santorini getting up and down the cliff. By 2 pm the line for the lift was out to me main road with a wrap around the square in Thera

We ended up walking down which was tricky due to slick rocks, donkey poo and the donkeys pushing into you. The trip walking down was and hour and half, and hot.

That said I would do it again. Was beautiful, each isle unique and Athens just awesome. Had fab food and very welcoming people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Santorini does get unmanageable when there are several large ships in port. In Athens crowds can be bad at the Acropolis but the smart visitor plans to be there at the opening to avoid the worst of them.

It would help to know where the OP is actually headed. Some islands are not visited that often by the large ships.

How early season? We were on a Rome to Venice cruise early April. We were on the Oosterdam right out of dry dock. Most ships had not arrived for the season yet. It was gloriously uncrowded.

Dennis

I think some research on the Greece board would be beneficial. What you describe has not been our experience. Oddly enough, just a couple of years ago, people were asking if it was safe to go to Greece, due to the occasional protests.

We saied Ahtensgto Greek Islands to Rome e tc and it was HOT< really hot but not any more crowded than we found in such major cities in September and Octob er. We sailed from Greece three times and I love Athens and definitely Mykonos. . :) The Acropolis was hot but so what.? It was such an incredible experience to tour there, we tried to ignore the heat.

Edited by sail7seas

How things change in just a few years!

Last year Greece had a record number of tourists and they expect even more in 2017. A lot of the tourism increase is due to people re-thinking the safety of travel to Turkey and north Africa, opting instead to go to Greece. And part of it, I'm sure, is that there have been fewer strikes and disruptions related to the economy there.

it takes a bit of time, but it is good to research "who's in port" if you are comparing various itinerary choices. There are a number of websites that will tell you the various cruise ship schedules in each port. Pick the one with the fewest ships in port that same day.

Our Greece experience was in Sept and there was no over-crowding, except if you also go to Ephesus in Turkey. But even there, they are fairly good at crowd management. Other ports were delightful and we were often the only ship in port. We particularly liked Agrostoli in Kephalonia for a very simple countryside hike and meal in the more remote countryside.

We did the Rome to Venice last mid September and it was lovely. Santorini was busy, but we were fine getting back to the ship. There were other ships in port with us,but didn't feel it was over crowded. I would avoid summer for the extreme heat and school crowds if you can. Do it if possible a different feel than western Mediterranean

Terri aka Augie's mom

We have been to Greece numerous times (often combine it with Turkey). Several cruises and at least 5 independent land trips.

We would not recommend going in summer if your idea of summer is late June to early Sept. It is hot and crowded. Santorini can be a zoo when there are several cruise ships in port. If it is on your itinerary.

We prefer the spring, mid/late April-mid May and mid Sept to mid/Oct. I think that we may even prefer spring, right after Greek Easter simply because the locals are not tired of tourists and are hungry for business.

It is safe. It was safe a few years ago during the demonstrations and financial crisis. Only difference was that it was far less crowded and accomodation was much less expensive and easier to obtain. The news reports that we got were 'out to lunch' based on our experience and ongoing feedback some residents of Athens. For us, we view it as safer than travelling in the US. We still do.

Wonderful country, wonderful people.