Can we really dress up on formal nights?

Kat19702

Yes, those are definitely examples given for those that want to dress formally but they also say (for the casual crowd) "or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks" which gives a lot of leeway to the non-formalists.

It allows everyone to be comfortable in the DR on formal nights no matter what their choice of dress.[

Please read it again if you have a copy of the answer book - my post was directly from the formal wear guide for formal nights - there is also a casual dress guide for non formal nights - it appears you are posting your opinion and not fact

I do have to support Floridalover on this one(wish I didn't, but he's totally correct here)there is a "FAQS" section on "What to pack". Strangely enough, it does say exactly what he claims. I would gather this was written by 2 different people. I DO follow the usual written guidelines as shown in the daily Patter, but until the part in the "What to pack" section is changed, it too, is also correct. A bit of a conundrum for all, I'll admit. But isn't life that way as well?

Edited by keithm
spelling

Since the people who work on the ships determine what type of attire they will allow into the MDR, these discussions are pointless.

I have made over 20 Princess cruises and have never worn a tie on any of them. I have also never been rejected from the MDR.

I have also been asked to join some of the officers, so you can trash the published rules and suggestions. My advice is to wear what the ship employees deem acceptable and stop these silly arguments on Cc.

Since the people who work on the ships determine what type of attire they will allow into the MDR, these discussions are pointless.

I have made over 20 Princess cruises and have never worn a tie on any of them. I have also never been rejected from the MDR.

I have also been asked to join some of the officers, so you can trash the published rules and suggestions. My advice is to wear what the ship employees deem acceptable and stop these silly arguments on Cc.

It's a hard pill to swallow for most of the formalists in the group. ;)

It's a hard pill to swallow for most of the formalists in the group. ;)

Some of them sure make themselves sound silly!!

They won't admit that the cruise lines are adapting to the changes that allow them to provide what the majority of their customers want.

I do have to support Floridalover on this one(wish I didn't, but he's totally correct here)there is a "FAQS" section on "What to pack". Strangely enough, it does say exactly what he claims. I would gather this was written by 2 different people. I DO follow the usual written guidelines as shown in the daily Patter, but until the part in the "What to pack" section is changed, it too, is also correct. A bit of a conundrum for all, I'll admit. But isn't life that way as well?

Keith - if you look at his link, it has a section on "what to pack" and just below it a section on "dress requirements" which plainly says what to wear on smart casual nights and on forma nights

Being old and retired is no excuse for ignoring and flaunting the dress code recommendations on formal nights. If anything, you should be wiser and set an example. It would be nice for the enjoyment of my wife and I and others who have made the effort to dress up, that you show us the courtesy of eaing somewhere else other than the MDR on formal nights - there are plenty of dining options where you can dress down as much as you want. I know Princess bends its' rules quite a bit on formal nights. Either the dining room managers should enforce the dress code without fear of reprimand or being cowed by diners or Princess should eliminate formal nights altogether.

This is how I feel. Our last cruise we were talking to our waiter about this. He said, it is totally up to the MDR manager as to what they will allow in the MDR on formal nights. He said, most just don't want to deal with it, but there are a few old school hold outs. On our Regal cruise over New Years people were dressed so much better than I have seen in years (in the MDR) on all nights not just on the formal nights. We always dress for dinner, even on smart casual nights. My DH wears dress pants & nice shirt, me in dress or nice pants outfit. On New Years Eve I saw more tux & long gowns than I have seen in 30 yrs of cruising. Maybe it was because it was the holiday but it was refreshing to see, we enjoyed it so much. A funny thing happened at the late party out around the pool. Some of the ladies (alcohol may have been involved) started jumping in the pool in their full evening gowns. When one jumped in then around 10 more followed. LOL

Being old and retired is no excuse for ignoring and flaunting the dress code recommendations on formal nights. If anything, you should be wiser and set an example. It would be nice for the enjoyment of my wife and I and others who have made the effort to dress up, that you show us the courtesy of eaing somewhere else other than the MDR on formal nights - there are plenty of dining options where you can dress down as much as you want. I know Princess bends its' rules quite a bit on formal nights. Either the dining room managers should enforce the dress code without fear of reprimand or being cowed by diners or Princess should eliminate formal nights altogether.

I find the suggestion that those who dress in attire different than you to be rather offensive.

If the cruise line employees find the attire acceptable, perhas it is YOU WHO SHOULD CHOOSE TO DINE ELSEWHERE.

I find the suggestion that those who dress in attire different than you to be rather offensive.

If the cruise line employees find the attire acceptable, perhas it is YOU WHO SHOULD CHOOSE TO DINE ELSEWHERE.

I'm sorry I offended anyone with my opinion.

Keith - if you look at his link, it has a section on "what to pack" and just below it a section on "dress requirements" which plainly says what to wear on smart casual nights and on forma nights

Yes, that's true. However the part about bringing a "shirt & tie at least" does strangely point to a contradiction in the dresscode. I do follow the "daily" code as stated in the patter we receive each day. I can't force others to adhere to that. So I guess that Princess staff have to be the enforcers. I will admit, I have complained to staff when I've seen really slovenly dress such as wife beater "t shirts" crappy shorts & the like being allowed in on formal nights. I've rarely seen it, by the way. During the day I'm fine with it, but at night it just makes things look "low rent".

Some of them sure make themselves sound silly!!

They won't admit that the cruise lines are adapting to the changes that allow them to provide what the majority of their customers want.

I hate to tell you, but the formal codes(within reason) are still followed by a majority of Princess pax.

Old people usually don't go to the buffets. There are to many choices & sometimes they can't find their table after filling their plates. :D

That's because they all look like Us!! Did I just say I'm old? I'm 63 & Richard is 55.

I hate to tell you, but the formal codes(within reason) are still followed by a majority of Princess pax.

I don't get concerned about what others wear, but I try to be truthful about what is allowed on the ships.

If everyone did this, these silly arguments on CC would end.

This is how I feel. Our last cruise we were talking to our waiter about this. He said, it is totally up to the MDR manager as to what they will allow in the MDR on formal nights. He said, most just don't want to deal with it, but there are a few old school hold outs. On our Regal cruise over New Years people were dressed so much better than I have seen in years (in the MDR) on all nights not just on the formal nights. We always dress for dinner, even on smart casual nights. My DH wears dress pants & nice shirt, me in dress or nice pants outfit. On New Years Eve I saw more tux & long gowns than I have seen in 30 yrs of cruising. Maybe it was because it was the holiday but it was refreshing to see, we enjoyed it so much. A funny thing happened at the late party out around the pool. Some of the ladies (alcohol may have been involved) started jumping in the pool in their full evening gowns. When one jumped in then around 10 more followed. LOL

I am in full support of the dress codes, but as long as a person has made an effort to wear a nice collared shirt & slacks, they should be allowed to eat in the MDR. on formal nights Shorts & t shirts? I'm sorry absolutely not! Even on smart casual night. If luggage is late that would be the only reason. After the next day sorry, I wouldn't buy the excuse any more.

I commend anyone that chooses to dress up to the nines. You will look great so don't be surprised if people say WOW & offer compliments. Be sure & visit the various photo stations for photos.

Which ship & cruise will you be on?

Tom😀

My DW and I love to dress up on cruises, it's really the only time we dress up, except for Christmas party's.

I see you got off the Coral Sea in 67, I was on the Waddell chasing the Coral Sea in 68.

Anyone else feel that Princess should do their part on formal nights by changing things up a bit? The MDR on formal nights looks just like it does every other night - no different tablecloths, florals, lighting or anything that I have noticed. We usually do early Anytime Dining.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband and I are hoping to dress up as in formal gown and tuxedo. It seems most of the cruise lines are very lax and most people prefer casual wear to the extreme that even jeans are acceptable on chic or formal nights. Can we dress up and not feel out of place on a Princess cruise? If so, which ship is best for this?

Yes you can dress up and not feel out of place. One of the primary reasons I chose Princess when we started cruising was the sense I got from reading reviews on multiple websites that folks on Princess tended towards being more refined. I read that most people still enjoyed formal nights and even dressed nicely on casual nights.

We've found this to be true for the majority of passengers on Princess ships we've sailed to Alaska, Mexico, Panama & pacific coastal.

DH wears a tux and I wear long formal gowns on formal night. We often take martinis up deck and star gaze after dinner. So romantic! We've even indulged in a game of shuffle board under the stars in formal wear.

Dress up and enjoy! You will not be in the minority.

I totally agree and also have never worn a tie on any cruise. Princess simply does not enforce most of their dress code as published. These dress code arguments on cc are actually quite hilarious and proves nothing.

Yes you can dress up and not feel out of place. One of the primary reasons I chose Princess when we started cruising was the sense I got from reading reviews on multiple websites that folks on Princess tended towards being more refined. I read that most people still enjoyed formal nights and even dressed nicely on casual nights.

We've found this to be true for the majority of passengers on Princess ships we've sailed to Alaska, Mexico, Panama & pacific coastal.

DH wears a tux and I wear long formal gowns on formal night. We often take martinis up deck and star gaze after dinner. So romantic! We've even indulged in a game of shuffle board under the stars in formal wear.

Dress up and enjoy! You will not be in the minority.

Absolutely!

I totally agree and also have never worn a tie on any cruise. Princess simply does not enforce most of their dress code as published. These dress code arguments on cc are actually quite hilarious and proves nothing.

Agree

I don't think anyone truly expects or wants a clothing police presence at the entrance to the dining room. Think about that! Formal is what's formal to you. If you enjoy putting on the ritz, do it. If you can't handle a tie, you shouldn't be forced to wear one just for the privilege of dining in the dining room.

I don't think anyone truly expects or wants a clothing police presence at the entrance to the dining room. Think about that! Formal is what's formal to you. If you enjoy putting on the ritz, do it. If you can't handle a tie, you shouldn't be forced to wear one just for the privilege of dining in the dining room.

In actuality they aren't forced to wear one at all and it's been that way for quite a many years. Even today in the business world there are very few that choose to wear a tie. It's a fashion statement that has died out.

We have just returned from a cruise and as normal dressed up for the formal nights. We enjoy having the chance to put on our 'glad rags' and the majority of other passengers dressed up too.

There were very few that didn't bother, nice to see young men in their tuxes or suits in fact, it was those that hadn't bothered that looked out of place and in the minority.