Can we really dress up on formal nights?

Kat19702

We have just returned from a cruise and as normal dressed up for the formal nights. We enjoy having the chance to put on our 'glad rags' and the majority of other passengers dressed up too.

There were very few that didn't bother, nice to see young men in their tuxes or suits in fact, it was those that hadn't bothered that looked out of place and in the minority.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The imporant message in these posts is that the cruise lines are allowing their guests to choose the type of attire they want to wear as long as it is neat and decent..

We have just returned from a cruise and as normal dressed up for the formal nights. We enjoy having the chance to put on our 'glad rags' and the majority of other passengers dressed up too.

There were very few that didn't bother, nice to see young men in their tuxes or suits in fact, it was those that hadn't bothered that looked out of place and in the minority.

What cruise were you on?

I don't think anyone truly expects or wants a clothing police presence at the entrance to the dining room. Think about that! Formal is what's formal to you. If you enjoy putting on the ritz, do it. If you can't handle a tie, you shouldn't be forced to wear one just for the privilege of dining in the dining room.

I disagree. I think they should be there. Formal dinning nights have always been part of the cruise experience. Those that want to change that and say it is their vacation should probably look for a different vacation experience or more casual line like Nor or Carnival that cater to that.

I disagree. I think they should be there. Formal dinning nights have always been part of the cruise experience. Those that want to change that and say it is their vacation should probably look for a different vacation experience or more casual line like Nor or Carnival that cater to that.

I realize that neither of us will change the others opinion on what's acceptable but what part of the neglected formal dress is up setting to you? :confused:

The tie?

The jacket?

The dress shirt?

The dress shoes?

Just how strict should the dress police be?

Well said. I am going to start the dialog with the Maitre d on all of my future cruises regarding expectations for dress on formal nights. I am going to write to customer service expressing my views and asking that the website clarify the Princess policy. I chose Princess and Cunard largely because of their dress codes. You are correct that their are many lines in all price ranges that cater to those who do not care for formal nights. Those who prefer no formal nights should gravitate to them and those who prefer formal nights should cruise Princess and Cunard.

The others have far more choice than we do so I really cannot fathom why they continue to complain so loudly.

my wife and I have only been on celebrity and princess in recent years. we have been going on the silhouette and the regal which are newer ships. we find both of these ships to be very classy. I know celebrity recently changed their 2 formal nights to chic nights but we still found most people dressing up on these nights. like many others we choose to dress to the nines. on most all other nights we dress nice also. the wife wears a skirt or dress and I wear dress pants and nice shirt and sometimes a jacket when going to specialty restaurants. on both of these ships we were not alone. we saw many people each night dressed like us. when you do carnival or Norwegian you would definetly be in the minority dressing like this. that is why we like these classy ships.

A simple question for those who prefer cruise lines that still have formal nights.

Do you know why the choices are limited ?

Is because those lines that attempted to hang onto the dress codes of t he past have failed.

The two that are mentioned on this thread are owned by and are supported by Carnival.

Enjoy them while you can, and you can look forward to relaxed dress codes. They cannot afford to revert back to the luxury practices that caused them to become part of Carnival. They need to appeal to a large segment of cruisers to remain in business,

I realize that neither of us will change the others opinion on what's acceptable but what part of the neglected formal dress is up setting to you? :confused:

The tie?

The jacket?

The dress shirt?

The dress shoes?

Just how strict should the dress police be?

For the MDR on formal nights, I feel that slacks/dress shirt/sport coat(tie optional would be fine.)

got to Forarrange my outfits. l will be traveling solo, as l am now widowed, so l do hope that there will be some partyprone single ladies aboard, for a cruise of this length, a lot of planning will need to take place.

please send me any helpful hints.

charlesbkatz@comcast.net:cool:

If you can dance & princess has nice dance floors(especially the Royal class ships)I would say you'll have a bevy of beauties waiting for a spin around the dance floor!

• 2 months later...
Well said. I am going to start the dialog with the Maitre d on all of my future cruises regarding expectations for dress on formal nights. I am going to write to customer service expressing my views and asking that the website clarify the Princess policy. I chose Princess and Cunard largely because of their dress codes. You are correct that their are many lines in all price ranges that cater to those who do not care for formal nights. Those who prefer no formal nights should gravitate to them and those who prefer formal nights should cruise Princess and Cunard.

The others have far more choice than we do so I really cannot fathom why they continue to complain so loudly.

Why should passengers who prefer casual dress go to other cruise lines? We are on the one that is perfect for us! Princess advertises and goes out of their way to appeal to a demographic that is accustomed to being casual and comfortable. As for "complaining loudly" - you must be talking about the people who dress formally? I am never seen a casual dresser complain - what would they complain about? The MDR and staff have no problem with casual dress, nothing to worry about from our view [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why should passengers who prefer casual dress go to other cruise lines? We are on the one that is perfect for us! Princess advertises and goes out of their way to appeal to a demographic that is accustomed to being casual and comfortable. As for "complaining loudly" - you must be talking about the people who dress formally? I am never seen a casual dresser complain - what would they complain about? The MDR and staff have no problem with casual dress, nothing to worry about from our view [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is an endless battle on CC with the fashion patrol. When we went on our first cruise years ago, we had not brought formal clothes. We told our table mates (only TD then) that we would not be joining them the next night which was formal night. They encouraged us to come as we were then dressed and the waiter who overheard the conservation also encouraged us to come as we were. We followed their advice and the rest is history. Even back then they did not enforce their own rules which makes them mere suggestions. In short the CC fashion patrol needs to move on to another higher end cruise line.

Ever notice how all the letter writers never come back and let all know the response from Princess. We here dozens say that the "code" should be enforced and are going to write about it but then nothing. And we all know how Princess has changed their policy on this lately.

We will be wearing formal (dinner jacket/long dress) on our next cruise in 24 hours time!!! (Whose counting).

But if someone cares not to dress so formal, so what. It's horses for courses. My enjoyment of my cruise will not be diminished by what other people wear. We live in a free world, let it be.

The day I see the Captain greet invited passengers for the Elite/Platinum cocktail party wearing Chinos and a Polo shirt, is the day I stop wearing my tux'.

Until then I will dress formally out of mutual respect for him and the other officers in attendance. More importantly I'll dress smartly to compliment my wife's formal attire.

What other passengers choose to wear; I really couldn't give a monkeys....

The day I see the Captain greet invited passengers for the Elite/Platinum cocktail party wearing Chinos and a Polo shirt, is the day I stop wearing my tux'.

Until then I will dress formally out of mutual respect for him and the other officers in attendance. More importantly I'll dress smartly to compliment my wife's formal attire.

What other passengers choose to wear; I really couldn't give a monkeys....

My feelings exactly, although I must say that the image of the grown man in his Minion flannel pajama bottoms, and free sweatshirt from our travel agent, has been permanently imprinted on my retinas. The ship is not your living room at home.

I wish they would do this because I do not believe it would be the men who would be more frequently stopped but the many women who we see on formal nights who do not wear anything close to what approaches "formal attire for the women dress code." It seems anything goes for the female passengers because dress is so much more subjective when it entails more then just "a tie, dress shirt and suit."

Being old and retired is no excuse for ignoring and flaunting the dress code recommendations on formal nights. If anything, you should be wiser and set an example. It would be nice for the enjoyment of my wife and I and others who have made the effort to dress up, that you show us the courtesy of eaing somewhere else other than the MDR on formal nights - there are plenty of dining options where you can dress down as much as you want. I know Princess bends its' rules quite a bit on formal nights. Either the dining room managers should enforce the dress code without fear of reprimand or being cowed by diners or Princess should eliminate formal nights altogether.

Hmmmm, I wasn't sure that I paid all of this money for a cruise so that you and your wife could enjoy it.

But since formal dress is a recommendation and not a requirement, I have no desire to dress up for you and your wife and I will be in the main dining room. So you and the wife will have to just deal with it or leave the dining room if it offends you that much, I guess.