Cabin with disability access not needed

Pilgrim70

I asked to book a non handicapped cabin and was told none available in that category, only a higher category. I made it clear to travel agent that we are not handicapped. Will gladly give up it needed. Someone posted that Celebrity will ask me to complete a form about need.

Some have decided to judge me based on their own bias. I would never park in a parking space marked for handicapped as I wouldn't know when it is needed. In this case I expect the cruise line to tell me if the cabin is needed as they do check for need.

I have to say I originally reacted the same way as others. This post however brings some clarity to the situation. Usually Celebrity doesn't offer these cabins to the general public, only if you specifically request (checking the accessible box on the web or requesting it during booking). At some point (close to sailing or when inventory is low) they do release these cabins to the general public as they don't want to sail with these cabins empty. I suspect that is what happened in this case. I'm real sure that the OP will NOT be moved from their booked cabin.

I also see online that there are still handicapped cabins available. Therefore we are not keeping one from someone who needs one. Why would a cruise line keep a handicap cabin available until the last booking date and then sail with an empty cabin?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I also see online that there are still handicapped cabins available. Therefore we are not keeping one from someone who needs one. Why would a cruise line keep a handicap cabin available until the last booking date and then sail with an empty cabin?

You've done absolutely nothing wrong, and it was reasonable to ask what the consequences would be for you if you were moved (presumably because someone who had booked a non-accessible cabin in that category decided that they needed an accessible one).

Frankly, I think a lot of people who have legitimately suffered because of inappropriate use of accessible spaces jumped on you without reading closely enough to see that your booking was entirely appropriate.

Enjoy your cruise. If someone ends up needing the accessible room, I hope you get bumped to something awesome!

I asked to book a non handicapped cabin and was told none available in that category, only a higher category. I made it clear to travel agent that we are not handicapped. Will gladly give up it needed. Someone posted that Celebrity will ask me to complete a form about need.

Some have decided to judge me based on their own bias. I would never park in a parking space marked for handicapped as I wouldn't know when it is needed. In this case I expect the cruise line to tell me if the cabin is needed as they do check for need.

I knew that's what probably happened as I've been there, done that. We booked on the Summit a couple of years ago when Luminae was first rolled out and we wanted to splurge on a suite. Unfortunately, there were no regular suites available. All that remained were 5 HA suites. At the time, our TA emailed a form for us to fill in, outlining the reason we were booking the room. We had no reason, and preferred a regular cabin in the first place, so did nothing. Some mention the extra space, but Accessible suites on the M Class ships aren't all that swanky, and I would never choose one if it weren't necessary. HA suites always seem to be the last booked and are often assigned on a guarantee rate.

Life happens, and now we're in a position that makes a HA room a necessity. We decided to try one last cruise, and it had to be soon. Our choices were slim due to no accessible rooms being available, but we finally found an A2 cabin open for a B2B on Equinox next month.

I can't really let myself think about those selfish enough to tie up those rooms for the sake of some extra space. I don't think they'll ever lose any sleep over it. Some people are just like that, and no amount of scolding is going to change their ways. I'm sure there are those who pass on the tip to book a HA room because the cost is the same but you get 50% more space.

Maybe the solution to this problem, is that these cabins are not discounted. If they were more expensive, people wouldn't book them as regular staterooms. While I appreciate the needs of disabled passengers- these cabins are twice the size of a regular cabin- and should be priced accordingly.

You're kidding, right? Obviously you don't "appreciate" the needs of a disabled person or you never would have made that statement. They are bigger because a person who requires a handicapped accessible cabin requires the additional space (like being able to turn around in your own cabin while in your wheelchair or scooter). The bathroom is bigger and has no barriers for the same reason. So you're saying that because I use a wheelchair or scooter I should pay more? Trust me I would much rather be in a regular cabin. Do you realize that on a ship the size of Millie say there are approximately 24 handicapped accessible cabins on the ENTIRE ship - all categories. So you're OK with taking one of those 24 cabins because you want a little more room.

This entire thread kind of turns my stomach. I must travel in a handicapped accessible cabin and now I know why they're so hard to find. We're on Millie in August and got the last accessible cabin - full price.

I hope you never NEED a handicapped-accessible cabin.

Read my posts. I never said that a regular passenger should take a HC accessible cabin. You missed the point. It should be reserved for HC passengers, and should not be discounted for other passengers to purchase. What I said was that it should not be discounted, which encourages able-bodied people from booking them in the first place. That way they would be available for HC passengers. I'm on your side. You don't like that i said they shouldn't be discounted. I stand by that- they are larger and equipped with special features. They shouldn't run sales on them to the general public. That's why they are purchased by able-bodied people. They are on the travel site I use and I could book one by just pushing a button. I think it should be required that a person has a legitimate reason for booking one. I cared for my grandmother for years- in a wheel chair. She wasn't fit enough to travel, but if she had been- I'd have been happy to pay a bit more for one of those roomy staterooms for her.

I pray you never need a accessible cabin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was going to say the same thing but I have been disciplined on CC for speaking my mind.. I would have worded your reply a bit differently - I fervently hope that some day you need a handicapped cabin and can't get one because someone who was selfish and did not need one took the last handicapped cabin.

DON

We have a cabin which is configured to be used by someone with a handicap. We booked this suite as the other cabins which were not handicapped accessible were a higher cost. If someone has a need for our cabin will they upgrade us and give our original to them?

I am a bit puzzled by the way you worded your post. I am a person who hasn't stood or walked for 20 yrs. due to Muscular Dystrophy. I have been cruising now for 20 yrs. and have always required an accessible cabin or we can't cruise. I was told many yrs. ago by Royal Caribbean, who also owns Celebrity, that the accessible cabins are held until 1 month prior to sailing before being released to the general public (those who don't need accessible cabin features). In addition, I am required to fill out a Special Needs Form within 30 days of making my reservation that asks specific questions I must answer as to why I need an accessible room. I don't know how far out you booked this suite, but I am curious as to why no one asked any questions of you about the need for an accessible cabin.

My experience trying to book a cruise much further out from a month prior to sailing has on numerous occasions been futile because all the accessible cabins are booked. Our typical successful booking is made anywhere from 2 yrs. out and sometimes "as close to" 1 yr. out from departure. And, any cruise within a yr. sailing date is generally impossible to find an accessible cabin. An example, is we tried booking a cruise 1 yr. out from the cruise we just took in May and there was only 1 accessible cabin available.

Finding an accessible suite you were allowed to book without having a disability AND more to your point because it was cheaper than other non-accessible suites is wrong. I am on an upgrade list as a preference in the Capt.'s Club only if another upgraded accessible cabin category becomes available. I have NEVER been notified, for instance, that an accessible suite is available for me to upgrade. So not only does it seem you were able to simply book an accessible suite because of a savings to you without meeting disability guidelines by Celebrity, I'm also wondering if others with disabilities on Celebrity's preference list were given an opportunity to upgrade first.

Perhaps we all don't really understand what happened here. Humans are involved and mistakes are made. But, like so many of us who have commented that have disabilities or family members who do, I think you shouldn't book the accessible suite. And, by the way, like others I never get to take advantage of the guaranteed room rates (the lowest offered) because they can't guarantee an accessible cabin. So I've never been able to take advantage of the very lowest cabin rates. Some would observe that seems like those of us with disabilities then always pay MORE for our rooms....not less.

I hope all the parameters set by Celebrity were met before your accessible suite was reserved in your name. If not, shame on Celebrity. I hope you make a wise choice as to whether or not to keep your accessible suite.

Read my posts. I never said that a regular passenger should take a HC accessible cabin. You missed the point. It should be reserved for HC passengers, and should not be discounted for other passengers to purchase. What I said was that it should not be discounted, which encourages able-bodied people from booking them in the first place. That way they would be available for HC passengers. I'm on your side. You don't like that i said they shouldn't be discounted. I stand by that- they are larger and equipped with special features. They shouldn't run sales on them to the general public. That's why they are purchased by able-bodied people. They are on the travel site I use and I could book one by just pushing a button. I think it should be required that a person has a legitimate reason for booking one. I cared for my grandmother for years- in a wheel chair. She wasn't fit enough to travel, but if she had been- I'd have been happy to pay a bit more for one of those roomy staterooms for her.

HC cabins aren't discounted, they cost the same as all other cabins in that category. OP was in a situation where they chose a cabin category - let's just say it was a sky suite. And all sky suites had been booked except for an accessible cabin. So OP was in a situation where they could either book the only sky suite available, which happened to be accessible, or book a higher level suite which was more expensive.

I was going to say the same thing but I have been disciplined on CC for speaking my mind.. I would have worded your reply a bit differently - I fervently hope that some day you need a handicapped cabin and can't get one because someone who was selfish and did not need one took the last handicapped cabin.

DON

What if that handicapped cabin was the last one in it's category? I'm not trying to argue, just wondering if you think that even then, an able-bodied person should move up or down a category instead of taking that last cabin?

What if that handicapped cabin was the last one in it's category? I'm not trying to argue, just wondering if you think that even then, an able-bodied person should move up or down a category instead of taking that last cabin?

That is an interesting question but, most of the time, it is purely academic. My wife and I have to be in a handicapped cabin because of her disabilities so we have a lot of experience with the problem of locating handicapped cabins. I can tell you from that experience that the last handicapped cabin in any category is almost always booked at a time when there are still plenty of other rooms available in that category. In fact, we have to plan all of our cruises (and we have cruised 59 times) at least a year in advance in order to be able to secure a handicapped room. I often wonder whether the shortage of handicapped rooms is caused by able bodied people who grab them up because of the extra space. However, all I am certain of is that most handicapped cabins have to be booked far in advance, long before they they can become the last available cabin in a category. I would guess that this happened to the OP because a room was freed up as a result of a cancellation.

As long as we are talking hypothetically, the answer is "yes". None handicapped people should not be allowed to ever book a handicapped cabin until maybe a month before the cruise. Realistically, there are so few handicapped cabins that there will always be a waiting list for them by people who really need them so they will always be gone before the month deadline.

DON

These cabins are available to the general public to purchase months in advance. I've seen one on a cruise in which I am presently booked in a standard inside cabin. The one that is still available is cabin #2620 on Explorer of the Seas, Oct. 6, 2017 sailing. I could push a button and book it today, June 17, 2017. So it is NOT true that handicapped cabins are only available to the general public one month out.

There are two sky suites #9117 and # 9121 that can be booked online for my upcoming June 16, 2018 cruise to Greece on Celebrity Constellation. That's a year from now.

So you can buy these cabins online without being a HC passenger. Here is what it says though: (Note that the cruise line reserves the right to deny boarding or to charge a relocation fee for non-handicapped guests who book an Accessible Stateroom.)

I think it's pretty clear that the cruise line is saying- don't book these cabins unless you want to risk being denied boarding or being fined.

We have a cabin which is configured to be used by someone with a handicap. We booked this suite as the other cabins which were not handicapped accessible were a higher cost. If someone has a need for our cabin will they upgrade us and give our original to them?

There is missing information here. How far in advance of the cruse did you book this cabin?

Was this the last Sky Suite on the ship and is that why the other Suites were more expensive?

If the last cabin in the category available is a handicap cabin, I don't see why that should be held, forcing the person to pay much more to change cabin categories or give up a suite. Yes, agree, people who don't need handicap cabins should not book them when others are available just for the extra space, but some cruises sell out quickly, especially for suites. The next cruise I'm taking is one of those, at a year and a half out, no suites except for the highest level were left and at a year out all that was left was guarantee cabins. When I went to book I at 18 months out there were no sky suites available so there's no lack of equity for a handicap person to find no sky suites are available at 6 months out. Why should a handicap person get to wait until two months ahead to book that handicap sky suite that's being held when everyone else who wanted to take the cruise had to book a year out? Yes, hold that cabin until the category is full, but at the end of the day, like everything else, you snooze, you lose.

We booked an accessible sky suite on our 24 sept 2017 Japan sailing. At the time our daughter who is disabled was travelling with us. Later on she couldnt fly that far so we asked Celebrity to reassign us to a non accessible. There were none available. I have checked regularly and found an S1 but Celebrity wouldnt switch us without paying thousands of $. I have told Celebrity that I am content to be moved from the accessible and have posted on the boards here just in case. From reading this it seems like there is no proper system in place. I am saddened as we have been in the position of needing an accessible and not being able to get one. Now we have one but dont need it!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Late to the party regarding this thread but there's an important issue not addressed to point.

By having stated "We booked this suite as the other cabins which were not handicapped accessible were a higher cost" implies that a fraudulent booking of an accessible cabin was made by abled-bodied individuals for the purpose of getting large a non-suite rate. So you either were not aware or perhaps chose to ignore the following:

As a result of the United States Supreme Court Rules on Spector et.al. VS Norwegian Cruise Lines.a Federal Law under theDepartment of Transportation ( commonly referred to as DOT) became effective onJanuary 1, 2012 that requires that the cruise lines have to verify that the person occupying the cabin has a medicalor physical need to book the cabin for all cruises embarking for a USA port. Some of the key points to this law that apply and cruise lines must follow are :

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabinis for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Do you really think people are going to read this and/or pay attention to it? Where did you find it?

As a result of the United States Supreme Court Rules on Spector et.al. VS Norwegian Cruise Lines.a Federal Law under theDepartment of Transportation ( commonly referred to as DOT) became effective onJanuary 1, 2012 that requires that the cruise lines have to verify that the person occupying the cabin has a medicalor physical need to book the cabin for all cruises embarking for a USA port. Some of the key points to this law that apply and cruise lines must follow are :

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabinis for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Late to the party regarding this thread but there's an important issue not addressed to point.

By having stated "We booked this suite as the other cabins which were not handicapped accessible were a higher cost" implies that a fraudulent booking of an accessible cabin was made by abled-bodied individuals for the purpose of getting large a non-suite rate. So you either were not aware or perhaps chose to ignore the following:

. [/font]

I think you missed this post

Handicap cabins aren't discounted, for good reason, but it was the only cabin left in the category they wanted and were clear that they weren't handicap. No fraud occurred.

I've only just read this thread but will add two points based on my own first hand experience with sailing on Celebrity :-

1) When sailing on a Baltic cruise on Eclipse our party required four aqua class rooms. One of which needed to be an accessible room. The couple in that room paid MORE for their room. I assumed that this was because it was a bigger room and the larger the real estate, the bigger the cost.

2) When booking a sky suite through a TA I was asked if I'd like an accessible room as "they're bigger so you'll have more space". I booked a regular room because I would not have felt comfortable booking it UNLESS it was the last room in the category I wanted which it was not. A form was never mentioned. So the TA's are clearly playing a part in these kind of scenarios.

Edited to add - Looking at a well known fishy site you'll find that accessible rooms can indeed cost more than regular rooms in the same class.

Do you really think people are going to read this and/or pay attention to it? Where did you find it?

You apparently read it .

There will always be people who will booked accessible cabins because they want the space without have to pay for a suite. Some people just don't care about doing the appropriate thing. However since this law places a lot of accountability of the cruise lines ( it also applies to hotels as ) to attempt to insure accessible cabins are booked by those that actual need it there has been a reduction in fraudulent bookings.

You ask the question " Where did you find it " in reference to my post # 43 this thread as if I'm accountable to you,,, which I'm not. However for the benefit of others on this forum :

• It was well published through various forms of media
  • The case of Spector et. al. VS Norwegian Cruise Lines. was also well published.
  • Both Spector. et. al. VS Norwegian Cruise Lines and the law that went into effect 1/1/2012 as result of the final ruling have been discussed on various CC forum for lose to years
  • Being that I'm disabled and can only cruise if an accessible cabin is available and that I do advocacy for the disabled at both the state and Federal levels I make it a point to be aware of all applicable laws that help the disabled continue to enjoy their life to the fullest possible extent.

Why don't you do you own search ?

Edited by xxoocruiser

I've only just read this thread but will add two points based on my own first hand experience with sailing on Celebrity :-

1) When sailing on a Baltic cruise on Eclipse our party required four aqua class rooms. One of which needed to be an accessible room. The couple in that room paid MORE for their room. I assumed that this was because it was a bigger room and the larger the real estate, the bigger the cost.

2) When booking a sky suite through a TA I was asked if I'd like an accessible room as "they're bigger so you'll have more space". I booked a regular room because I would not have felt comfortable booking it UNLESS it was the last room in the category I wanted which it was not. A form was never mentioned. So the TA's are clearly playing a part in these kind of scenarios.

Edited to add - Looking at a well known fishy site you'll find that accessible rooms can indeed cost more than regular rooms in the same class.

The Law referenced in Post #43 of this thread only applies to Cruise Ships embarking form a USA Port and does not apply to cruises embarking from a non USA Port, The EU as well as non EU Members have different laws regarding booking of accessible cabins when the ship embarks from a European Port.

Regrettably there are TA's who show no respect for the law and are more interested in solidifying the booking that will persuade the client to book an accessible cabin for more space that are more interested in getting the booking and commission rather than doing the right thing.

The Law referenced in Post #43 of this thread only applies to Cruise Ships embarking form a USA Port and does not apply to cruises embarking from a non USA Port, The EU as well as non EU Members have different laws regarding booking of accessible cabins when the ship embarks from a European Port.

Regrettably there are TA's who show no respect for the law and are more interested in solidifying the booking that will persuade the client to book an accessible cabin for more space that are more interested in getting the booking and commission rather than doing the right thing.

It was a cruise leaving the US where the US based travel agent offered us an accessible room because of the additional space. The agent genuinely thought he was doing us a favour.

The only useful advice I can offer to those who need these rooms is to book as far in advance as possible. It's not ideal nor even fair but it gives you the best possible chance of getting what you require.

Never mind.

You apparently read it .

There will always be people who will booked accessible cabins because they want the space without have to pay for a suite. Some people just don't care about doing the appropriate thing. However since this law places a lot of accountability of the cruise lines ( it also applies to hotels as ) to attempt to insure accessible cabins are booked by those that actual need it there has been a reduction in fraudulent bookings.

You ask the question " Where did you find it " in reference to my post # 43 this thread as if I'm accountable to you,,, which I'm not. However for the benefit of others on this forum :

• It was well published through various forms of media
  • The case of Spector et. al. VS Norwegian Cruise Lines. was also well published.
  • Both Spector. et. al. VS Norwegian Cruise Lines and the law that went into effect 1/1/2012 as result of the final ruling have been discussed on various CC forum for lose to years
  • Being that I'm disabled and can only cruise if an accessible cabin is available and that I do advocacy for the disabled at both the state and Federal levels I make it a point to be aware of all applicable laws that help the disabled continue to enjoy their life to the fullest possible extent.

Why don't you do you own search ?