Cabin with disability access not needed

Pilgrim70

Several of us with disabilities have stated we book FAR in advance to enhance our chances of actually getting to go on a cruise since the number of accessible cabins is so limited.

I am interested in how far in advance the person book his cruise who was booked by his TA in an accessible cabin he didn't need.

It was a cruise leaving the US where the US based travel agent offered us an accessible room because of the additional space. The agent genuinely thought he was doing us a favour.

The only useful advice I can offer to those who need these rooms is to book as far in advance as possible. It's not ideal nor even fair but it gives you the best possible chance of getting what you require.

'

That remains one of biggest problems regarding frauduklent bookings of Accessible Cabins . Whether you want to believe it or not TA's in the USA were notified of the law that became effectice back on 1/1/2017. TA's continue to book abled-body people in an accessiblr cabin to save the cost of the paying for a suite to get the same size. not because they think their honestly doing a a favor.

Booking early still doesn't solve the issue as unethical TA's still exist and able bodied people who also don't care about the rights of the disabled traveler will still fruadulently book an accessible cabin for space. Hope none of them ever actaully need the features of an accessible cabin only to find out it's not available because an able-body person(s) decided they need it more because they didn'nt want to pay the price of sutie . Karma's a b---h !

I think you missed this post

Handicap cabins aren't discounted, for good reason, but it was the only cabin left in the category they wanted and were clear that they weren't handicap. No fraud occurred.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Didn't missed that point. If the post you reference is really indicative of what happened why than did PILGRAM70's initial post #1 of thread on June 15, 2017 2.19 PM specifcally state:

"We have a cabin which is configured to be used by someone with a handicap. We booked this suite as the other cabins which were not handicapped accessible were a higher cost. If someone has a need for our cabin will they upgrade us and give our original to them?"

Why than did it take Pilgram70 until the next day (June 16, 2017 7:24 AM ) to post :

"I asked to book a non handicapped cabin and was told none available in that category, only a higher category. I made it clear to travel agent that we are not handicapped. Will gladly give up it needed. Someone posted that Celebrity will ask me to complete a form about need.

Some have decided to judge me based on their own bias. I would never park in a parking space marked for handicapped as I wouldn't know when it is needed. In this case I expect the cruise line to tell me if the cabin is needed as they do check for need."

If post # 24 was indeed what occured than why didn't Pilgram70 statethat in post #1 ? Perhaps it may not have been the situatiion ? Perhaps a little backtracking was done to justify the booking of an accessible cabin ? Furthermore since Pilgram70 stated he/she won't park in an HC Parking space why than does he/she thinks it's ethical to book an accessible cabin to get more space at cheaper price because the cruise line didn't tell he/she that couldn't be done ?

Didn't missed that point. If the post you reference is really indicative of what happened why than did PILGRAM70's initial post #1 of thread on June 15, 2017 2.19 PM specifcally state:

"We have a cabin which is configured to be used by someone with a handicap. We booked this suite as the other cabins which were not handicapped accessible were a higher cost. If someone has a need for our cabin will they upgrade us and give our original to them?"

Why than did it take Pilgram70 until the next day (June 16, 2017 7:24 AM ) to post :

"I asked to book a non handicapped cabin and was told none available in that category, only a higher category. I made it clear to travel agent that we are not handicapped. Will gladly give up it needed. Someone posted that Celebrity will ask me to complete a form about need.

Some have decided to judge me based on their own bias. I would never park in a parking space marked for handicapped as I wouldn't know when it is needed. In this case I expect the cruise line to tell me if the cabin is needed as they do check for need."

If post # 24 was indeed what occured than why didn't Pilgram70 statethat in post #1 ? Perhaps it may not have been the situatiion ? Perhaps a little backtracking was done to justify the booking of an accessible cabin ? Furthermore since Pilgram70 stated he/she won't park in an HC Parking space why than does he/she thinks it's ethical to book an accessible cabin to get more space at cheaper price because the cruise line didn't tell he/she that couldn't be done ?

Boom.

I'll just jump in to say that accessible SUITES are a rarity on any cruise ship and, as a disabled person who really appreciates the 'suite' experience (having suite amenities absolutely makes cruising even that much easier for folks who are disabled - e.g. dining in the cabin, help unpacking, etc.), I am always frustrated that the very few accessible suites are booked up sometimes YEARS in advance.

To the OP, I don't want to know your ship & sail date because I will say that I would have loved to have an accessible Sky Suite on my upcoming 7/7/17 Summit cruise. But, unfortunately, they were all booked. Hopefully by people who TRULY need those accommodations. There are no accessible suites in higher categories, so I am sailing Concierge class.

For those who book accessible cabins and feel good about it believing that IF someone in need wanted it you would be asked to move, that is NOT true. You booked it, and you will sail in it. We (the disabled folks whose place you took) will just have to find another option or sail date.

Just a reminder that we are not nameless & faceless. We are real people and, as such, the decisions you (or your travel agent - who is looking for kudos & more business by "scoring" you a bigger cabin) make DO have an impact on our lives whether you choose to close your eyes and put it out of your mind or not.

I'll just jump in to say that accessible SUITES are a rarity on any cruise ship and, as a disabled person who really appreciates the 'suite' experience (having suite amenities absolutely makes cruising even that much easier for folks who are disabled - e.g. dining in the cabin, help unpacking, etc.), I am always frustrated that the very few accessible suites are booked up sometimes YEARS in advance.

To the OP, I don't want to know your ship & sail date because I will say that I would have loved to have an accessible Sky Suite on my upcoming 7/7/17 Summit cruise. But, unfortunately, they were all booked. Hopefully by people who TRULY need those accommodations. There are no accessible suites in higher categories, so I am sailing Concierge class.

For those who book accessible cabins and feel good about it believing that IF someone in need wanted it you would be asked to move, that is NOT true. You booked it, and you will sail in it. We (the disabled folks whose place you took) will just have to find another option or sail date.

Just a reminder that we are not nameless & faceless. We are real people and, as such, the decisions you (or your travel agent - who is looking for kudos & more business by "scoring" you a bigger cabin) make DO have an impact on our lives whether you choose to close your eyes and put it out of your mind or not.

Bravo

Suites are booked up years in advance. Period. I booked my next celebrity cruise 18 months out and all sky suites, accessible and non-accessible were booked. Why should celebrity hold an accessible suite up so that a handicap person can get it a few months before sailing when everyone else was unable to get one due to them all being booked up? That's not equality either. If regular sky suites are available for your sailing and accessible are not, its most likely a handicap person in it. I really don't buy that there's this major issue of able bodied people buying up accessible rooms.

And if you need a certain cabin, then realistically you know you need to book early. Families with kids that need connection cabins do, solos who want a solo cabin do... and people needing accessible cabins do.

There are a limited number of suites on all ships and many able bodied people face exactly the same levels of disappointment when not being able to get the cabins they require.

If there is a genuine problem with able bodied people booking accessible rooms sailing out of the US as you suggest and I'm not convinced there is based on what I've seen with my own eyes, then you need to take it up with Celebrity directly. Expressing your frustrations on an online forum will have no impact at all on the issue. You need to feedback to the relevant staff at RCCL if anything useful is to be done.

Where did any able bodied individual state that they scored an accessible cabin through there TA on this thread?

I disagree entirely. Accessible cabins are there to permit those who need them to have the same experience (access!) as non-disabled people. They simply need more space to do so, and that shouldn't come with an extra charge. I really like this graphic:

http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/ajAerM1_700b_v2.jpg

You are arguing for pic #1, equality -- everyone gets the same, regardless of need. #3 would be the best, but it's pretty hard to achieve on a cruise ship because space is so limited. So they go for #2, which allows equitable access for each type of cabin.

As far as I'm aware, these cabins are neither more expensive nor cheaper, which is exactly as it should be. That's why I conclude that if the accessible cabin was cheaper than the others, it's because it was the last one in that particular category. There's no other reason it would be cheaper.

Morally, no one should book an accessible cabin if they don't need it -- unless it's the last one, in which case it's irrelevant that a disabled person may need it more, because no one is going to be able to book that category of cabin. Disabled people will then have equal access to that particular category of cabin, which is to say, none.

Excellent graphic..thanks for sharing it

Where did any able bodied individual state that they scored an accessible cabin through there TA on this thread?

The OP stated they booked through a travel agent - guess you missed that when you were ranting about something you obviously have no personal experience about.

This thread is the craziest thing I've ever read. OP is not scamming the system. They don't want an accessible cabin. They want whatever category suite they were looking for (not looking to score a suite size without a suite budget). The suite prices jump in leaps and bounds between categories. Let's say they wanted a sky suite. The ONLY sky suite that was left to be booked was accessible. They made it clear to the TA that they didn't want or need an accessible room but that was the only sky suite left. You really think it's equality to hold that suite for a handicap booking that may or may not ever come.

Celebrity did exactly what they should do - saved the accessible cabin for someone who needed it until the category was full. But no, there's no reason for them to hold it open when the category is full.

Suite cabins book up months to years in advance. What part of that do you not get. For EVERYONE, not just the accessible cabins. Especially the sky suites since it's the cheapest way to get the suite benefits. This effects EVERYONE. Get over yourselves. I'm done with this ridiculousness.

there's no reason for them to hold it open when the category is full....Suite cabins book up months to years in advance. What part of that do you not get.

Disabled passengers have a smaller inventory of cabins IN GENERAL. When the very few accessible cabins (designed specifically for our needs) sell out (to other disabled passengers), we are out of luck. That's totally fair.

On the other hand, able-bodied folks have a MUCH greater inventory of cabins on every sailing, every ship for cabins designed for their able-bodied selves. When the able-bodied cabins sell out, they should be out of luck. Again, that's fair - even though they won't run into this situation as often as disabled folks.

So all we are saying is that once the ABLE-BODY cabins are sold out in a category, on the entire ship, whatever - able-bodied passengers should not be able to dip into the very limited inventory open to disabled folks.

What about that do YOU not get?

Disabled passengers have a smaller inventory of cabins IN GENERAL.

So all we are saying is that once the ABLE-BODY cabins are sold out in a category, on the entire ship, whatever - able-bodied passengers should not be able to dip into the very limited inventory open to disabled folks.

Since apparently this is not the way that this is currently handled, wouldn't you agree that this issue needs to be taken up with Celebrity?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Disabled passengers have a smaller inventory of cabins IN GENERAL. When the very few accessible cabins (designed specifically for our needs) sell out (to other disabled passengers), we are out of luck. That's totally fair.

On the other hand, able-bodied folks have a MUCH greater inventory of cabins on every sailing, every ship for cabins designed for their able-bodied selves. When the able-bodied cabins sell out, they should be out of luck. Again, that's fair - even though they won't run into this situation as often as disabled folks.

It sounds like the cause of the issue is celebrity not creating enough accessible cabins. Which isn't anyone's fault but them. I do not agree, as some have suggested, that there is some great conspiracy of able bodied people booking accessible cabins. No one on this thread bragged about 'snagging' an accessible cabin. I read it more as a complaint. I don't want an accessible cabin but it was the only one left.

If there's not enough accessible cabins being created for everyone whose disabled and wants to cruise to cruise then that needs to be taken up with celebrity. But what I mostly see posted about accessible cabins is 'I don't want one but that's all that was left' or 'I got assigned one in a guarantee' suggesting they end up with leftover accessible inventory. Which frankly is the simplest way to solve this. Sell the last suite as a guarantee - if a regular cabin frees up they can move the person to re-open the disabled cabin up.

Sorry, at the end of the day, you snooze you lose. Whether we are talking about connecting cabins, suites, or the last cabin in a category that ends up being the accessible cabin. And since celebrity seems to operate this way - again, take it up with celebrity if you don't agree.

Since apparently this is not the way that this is currently handled, wouldn't you agree that this issue needs to be taken up with Celebrity?

This has been an ongoing struggle for years not just with Celebrity but other cruise lines as well - and of course I (as I'm sure many others have) have expressed my feelings to the special needs departments at the cruise lines. Sadly, for the cruise lines it's all about the bottom line, so no help there. (My first question to them is why can't there be MORE inventory for disabled passengers - and also why can't the highest-end suites be fitted so they can accommodate both disabled and able-bodied passengers.) No luck.

That's the reason I add my thoughts to these forums. Regardless of whether or not Celebrity will offer or sell an accessible cabin to someone that doesn't have a need, these posts are to hopefully appeal to folks to do the right thing regardless.

I do not agree, as some have suggested, that there is some great conspiracy of able bodied people booking accessible cabins. No one on this thread bragged about 'snagging' an accessible cabin.

Very easy to have a cavalier opinion on this issue when you are not impacted. Just do a search across Cruise Critic forums about this topic. There are absolutely people who brag about 'snagging' an accessible (bigger) cabin. It's frustrating to read that from my perspective.

The OP definitely didn't seem happy about having an accessible suite, on that point I agree. However, they wouldn't have to be unhappy if they had just told their TA "No, I don't want to book an accessible cabin, what else is available?"

The OP stated they booked through a travel agent - guess you missed that when you were ranting about something you obviously have no personal experience about.

Ah, I think those reading this thread will know who's ranting and who's not. :D

You've taken my comment out of context as it was in reply to your comment :-

As I was the only person to mention having had a TA offer us an accessible cabin, well I'll let you try and figure that one out. .

I do wonder if your sense of entitlement and hostility towards others might challenge peoples attitudes towards booking accessible cabins when they don't need them though?

But regardless of that I absolutely don't buy your argument / whinge about a lack of accessible suites. All people are regularly disappointed that they can't get a suite on their choice of sailing. Whilst there is far fewer accessible suites there are far fewer HC people on board. Does anyone have any hard evidence that there is a lack of these rooms on a pro rata basis? Still you've manage to book a CC balcony, so are not missing out on your cruise which is good.

Very easy to have a cavalier opinion on this issue when you are not impacted. Just do a search across Cruise Critic forums about this topic. There are absolutely people who brag about 'snagging' an accessible (bigger) cabin. It's frustrating to read that from my perspective.

The OP definitely didn't seem happy about having an accessible suite, on that point I agree. However, they wouldn't have to be unhappy if they had just told their TA "No, I don't want to book an accessible cabin, what else is available?"

Perhaps. But i also have limited sympathy because I do book plan my trips years in advance and do have my cruises over a year out; partially to maximize my cabin selection. And when that hasn't been enough, in past, when on a popular itinerary there wasn't enough selection at a year out, I push my trip back by a year to get the room/cruise I want.

For the record I've never booked and accessible room or had any interest in booking one. And outside of a family of 4 trying to squeeze into an inside room, can't really see why anyone who wasn't disabled would. From what I've read you lose a lot of the 'design' and storage features of the room to add the needed space. No thanks.

But if I was in the OPs situation I don't know that I would make a different decision. Even with how early I book (usually 12-18 months out) the less expensive suites are often booked up by then. I stand by my opinion that asking the cruise line to refuse booking of the accessible suite until a month prior to sailing is unreasonable.

You are acting as if there are no accessible cabins left so if a disabled person wants on this sailing they will be shut out. I'm not sure that there's any reason to think that. If all accessible cabins has been bought up by the disproportionate number of disabled cruisers, that's being claimed, then I would hope the would hold this room. But more likely, if a disabled cruiser wants to be on this cruise they'll be in the same situation as everyone else, pay big money for a higher end suite or be stuck in steerage with the rest of us.

I stand by my opinion that asking the cruise line to refuse booking of the accessible suite until a month prior to sailing is unreasonable.

When we were on Infinity TA in 2013, the family rooms in the stern became available for general sale in June 2013 and I transferred our cabin at no extra cost for one as it had a HUGE balcony and an extra room. However, 2 people weren't able to book them before this time.

I suspect that this is a similar scenario, as the cruise company won't want to sail half empty.

As I was the only person to mention having had a TA offer us an accessible cabin, well I'll let you try and figure that one out.

Guess you missed this post by the OP:

I asked to book a non handicapped cabin and was told none available in that category, only a higher category. I made it clear to travel agent that we are not handicapped.

I do wonder if your sense of entitlement and hostility towards others might challenge peoples attitudes towards booking accessible cabins when they don't need them though?

Suggesting I feel entitled for being disabled? Are you serious? Wow.

if a disabled cruiser wants to be on this cruise they'll be in the same situation as everyone else, pay big money for a higher end suite or be stuck in steerage with the rest of us.

No high-end suites on Celebrity ships are fitted to accommodate disabled passengers. Sky suites are the only suite option for the disabled.