Pick pocketed before a cruise from Rome. Options?

I was on Anthem this last weekend to Bermuda.

Before we left, the crew urged us to bring out passports and we were all scanned off the ship with our SeaPass cards.

When I came back on board later, we went thru customs and had to show SeaPass (they did not want to see the passport till we returned to home port in Bayonne, NJ) to get back on board.

One guy claimed he did not have his Seapass card and had gotten off without it. He had no wallet or ID. Another traveller with him then claimed he was his son and vouched for his identity. To me, they looked about the same age. They let him on.

In Bermuda, they tell you to bring a government issued picture ID and your sea pass when you go into port. They scan your sea pass so they know who is off the ship. You did not go through customs to reboard the ship, that happened in Bayonne. They scan your sea pass when you reboard so they know that all passengers are back on the ship. Some port require you to show ID to local authorities before they will allow you into the secure area near the ship.

If someone loses their ID, they will be met by security before they are allowed on the ship.

I was on Anthem this last weekend to Bermuda.

Before we left, the crew urged us to bring out passports and we were all scanned off the ship with our SeaPass cards.

When I came back on board later, we went thru customs and had to show SeaPass (they did not want to see the passport till we returned to home port in Bayonne, NJ) to get back on board.

One guy claimed he did not have his Seapass card and had gotten off without it. He had no wallet or ID. Another traveller with him then claimed he was his son and vouched for his identity. To me, they looked about the same age. They let him on.

My wife came off the ship with her seapass card. Somehow she lost her seapass card in port and we realized it when we tried to get back walking through port authority just before you reboard the ship. I was going to run up to grab her passport, but they checked the ships log and allowed her through without it. Whatever they looked at, her name was on this list. She had to verify her name and one other piece of info...maybe her DOB or cabin number? We walked back up the gangway and they told her to just head straight to guest services for a replacement. That was a bit scary.

...One guy claimed he did not have his Seapass card and had gotten off without it. He had no wallet or ID. Another traveller with him then claimed he was his son and vouched for his identity. To me, they looked about the same age. They let him on.
You have to check off (and on) the ship by Sea Pass. I could buy that he lost his SeaPass but for him to claim that he got off without it is a BIG red flag. And the let him on???? Something is fishy here.

You have to check off (and on) the ship by Sea Pass. I could buy that he lost his SeaPass but for him to claim that he got off without it is a BIG red flag. And the let him on???? Something is fishy here.

They should have his photo on file and they could compare it to ensure it's the same individual no?

On one of our early cruises (and it was after 9/11), we actually DID get off the ship at a port without scanning our cards. We waited until later in the day to get off the ship, and when we got to the gangway, no one was there - no security, no ship crew, no one. We waited a bit, looked around for someone and, finally, not realizing it would be a big deal, we just walked right off. We even discussed whether we should 'ding' our own cards before getting off and decided if no one was there to do it, it must not be necessary. Security personnel were quite alarmed when they scanned our cards to reboard because there was no record of us being off ship. They were very unhappy with us, and we had some explaining to do.

A couple of years ago we visited Venice via cruise and we were instructed to take our passports ashore with us as we would not be able to clear port authorities without it. Everyones passports were examined before we allowed to to return to the ship, it took about an hour and half to clear passport control

A couple of years ago we visited Venice via cruise and we were instructed to take our passports ashore with us as we would not be able to clear port authorities without it. Everyones passports were examined before we allowed to to return to the ship, it took about an hour and half to clear passport control

Hopefully the OP and his girlfriend were able to get things figured out and get on the ship. It is sad that things like this happen but they definitely do. A couple years ago one of the people in my group was pick pocketed while we toured Rome a few days before our Eastern Mediterranean cruise. Fortunately, it was only his wallet and not his passport, but lost $1,000.

Again, hopefully the OP and his girlfriend were able to get on the ship. I think the moral of the story here isn't insurance vs. not insurance, although that has certainly been debated.. I think the takeaway for me is to make sure to be cautious while traveling and secure your valuables, etc. Thank you for the comments of those who mentioned various securement bags and methods as I will be looking into some of these prior to boarding our next cruise in September!

Edited by CruiseCheapsk8
spacing

We were on Jewel leaving out of Rome on the 18th. We were on the balcony at a port when we saw a couple with luggage boarding the ship from a tender boat. We wondered why they were just boarding. My guess is that it was probably the OP. I'm thinking it was Santorini, but I'm not positive.

We were on Jewel leaving out of Rome on the 18th. We were on the balcony at a port when we saw a couple with luggage boarding the ship from a tender boat. We wondered why they were just boarding. My guess is that it was probably the OP. I'm thinking it was Santorini, but I'm not positive.

That would be great if they made it. The OP posted that they were staying a couple days after the cruise, so hopefully, once they get back home they will update the story. I hope they were able to have a great cruise.