Pick pocketed before a cruise from Rome. Options?

Yes, because we all know there was no crime until they stopped stoning people in the town square.

But a better chance to deter them. Should have their fingers chopped off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But a better chance to deter them. Should have their fingers chopped off.

Why stop there? I'm sure you can think of something more barbaric than losing a few fingers.

There are lots of Healthy people who have accidents , trips or falls. The cost of getting home from anywhere would not be cheap. If you can afford that, then that's your choice.

Personally, I wouldn't take that risk. My next cruise from Australia is going to cost me over £3600 ($4500) + spending money. Insurance cost for an annual worldwide Travel policy for Me and my wife is £140 ($180). a small price to pay for piece of mind. Plus the policy will also cover me for any other foreign travel I take in that year.

This post made me realize that I completely forgot to look into travel insurance....going on it tomorrow. Sometimes us yanks simply forget to buy or look into it.

I have a bag that goes diagonally across my chest from a company called Pac Safe. The strap is slash proof, the zips have hooks to lock them and have an area that passports can't be scanned. Use it abroad all the time. They do all sorts of bags and gadgets.

I have a purse from the same company. I call it my Pickpocket Purse. Always use it when I travel. My boss borrows it too.

On our last cruise out of Barcelona, 3 of 8 people at our dinner table had pickpocket encounters in the city. Not me.

Those Scottevests are great, but only practical in the cooler weather. I wore mine there and even went on the pickpocket express (train to the Vatican) with no problems. I wore my vest to a presidential pre-election event in the USA and had to be scanned. The secret service guy was very impressed with the hidden pockets. He thought it was "very cool".

I also have a Pac Safe purse and my husband has a Pac Safe backpack, they both lock securely, we had no problems in Italy last year. Never carry your actual passport, leave it in the safe and bring a copy with you and only carry enough cash for that you might need for that day.

I'm a big believer in travel insurance. 15 years ago when my son was 15, we went on a cruise and brought a friend of his with us. His appendix ruptured while we were at sea and they had to airlift him to the U.S. Naval hospital in Cuba. You never know what can happen, it's important to have the insurance.

We are traveling with friends in November who refuse to take insurance, their choice, but we will have ours!

Those Scottevests are great, but only practical in the cooler weather. I wore mine there and even went on the pickpocket express (train to the Vatican) with no problems. I wore my vest to a presidential pre-election event in the USA and had to be scanned. The secret service guy was very impressed with the hidden pockets. He thought it was "very cool".

I just bought my husband a black travel vest by Exoficio. He is trying it out on our Baltic cruise in July. Hopefully it will be cool enough for him to wear it off the ship on our port side visits.

Ugh! My friend was pic pocketed while we were running to catch the bus in Pisa about 3 years ago. The bus driver and several passengers saw the guy and even described his shirt color to us but this was after we boarded the bus she she realized she could not find her bus ticket or wallet. The bus was already moving and we had to get off and walk to the police station. She was able to get another credit card overnighted to her at the hotel in Venice. I hope everything worked out for them.

Always travel with multiple copies of passport... keep original in safe...and have one with emergency contacts! I also have a pacsafe purse.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I doubt anything other than the original will get you on a plane / cruise ship though

I was on Anthem this last weekend to Bermuda.

Before we left, the crew urged us to bring out passports and we were all scanned off the ship with our SeaPass cards.

When I came back on board later, we went thru customs and had to show SeaPass (they did not want to see the passport till we returned to home port in Bayonne, NJ) to get back on board.

One guy claimed he did not have his Seapass card and had gotten off without it. He had no wallet or ID. Another traveller with him then claimed he was his son and vouched for his identity. To me, they looked about the same age. They let him on.