Pick pocketed before a cruise from Rome. Options?

Why do you guys in America constantly travel without Insurance, I won't even travel to France without insurance and thats only 25 miles from our country.

Crazy isn't it! The amount of people on here I read that don't have insurance it's nuts!

I'd never leave the UK without it

After the fact -- so no help for this situation but maybe help in the future -- last time we went to Rome, I bought a ten- pack of sew-in/pin-in zippered pockets from hobotraveler.com. Pickpockets would have had to reach inside my waistband, unzipped the pocket, and fumbled around. We were glad we bought them. We sat down for a pre-cruise dinner with about 30 folks, and three couples had already had problems - missing phones, credit cards, and passports. The pockets gave us some peace of mind.

I read a thread about someone who was stuck in a European port without a passport - believe they were left behind by the ship. They mentioned that with the police report they were able to get a letter that allowed them to fly on to the next port (in a different country) without a passport. I would go about doing everything she needs to do to replace the passport and meet the boat in santorini but perhaps see if she can get a letter like that and show up at the port and see if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is there a way to tag someone to make sure they see this thread? From time to time, I travel with someone who is always willing to help everyone he meets and I can see him putting his stuff down to take pictures, help with luggage and lots of other things.

Is there a way to tag someone to make sure they see this thread? From time to time, I travel with someone who is always willing to help everyone he meets and I can see him putting his stuff down to take pictures, help with luggage and lots of other things.

No. You would have to send him a link to this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511409

The stolen debit card purchases were for items, not cash. She should be protected by Visa.

We know about travel insurance but we self insure, simple as that. We're healthy people, we're on time and never have issues like this. We've taken 15 cruises and 4 international flights a year, never a hiccup.

Thanks for the tip on the AMEX office in Rome, I let her know.

The stolen debit card purchases were for items, not cash. She should be protected by Visa.

We know about travel insurance but we self insure, simple as that. We're healthy people, we're on time and never have issues like this. We've taken 15 cruises and 4 international flights a year, never a hiccup.

Thanks for the tip on the AMEX office in Rome, I let her know.

I'm fit and healthy, travel a lot and on time but still wouldn't travel without travel insurance. You just never know what might happen which you've just found out.

For a few quid (or bucks), it's worth it.

Good luck with getting things sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are lots of Healthy people who have accidents , trips or falls. The cost of getting home from anywhere would not be cheap. If you can afford that, then that's your choice.

Personally, I wouldn't take that risk. My next cruise from Australia is going to cost me over £3600 ($4500) + spending money. Insurance cost for an annual worldwide Travel policy for Me and my wife is £140 ($180). a small price to pay for piece of mind. Plus the policy will also cover me for any other foreign travel I take in that year.

It's not whether you are fit and healthy, lots of other things. One very fit healthy lady in Noumea stepped back to take a photo, fell into a small subsidence, broke her ankle. Flight back to Australia plus medical treatment, plus time off work etc

Last three cruises I have been on there was a medical evacuation by helicopter. One Sweden, one Qld Coast, one Singapore would not like to pay for that.

Being healthy has nothing to do with it!

You could have a heart attack without warning (god forbid that happens though)

I just don't understand travelling thousands of miles across the world, with no sort of protection in the event of disaster

There are certain types of insurance that I am prepared to gamble not having. Home contents springs to mind. I really wouldn't travel without trip insurance though. Accidents can happen to anybody and at anytime. Being seemingly fit and healthy is no guarantee of a trouble free cruise. To even hint at that seems at best foolish and at worst very arrogant. Doubt if many were fitter than Michael Schumacher when he had his skiing accident, or had the amount of health checks that professional footballers Check Tiote (RIP) or Fabrice Muamba, and countless other sportsmen and women whom have been struck down in unforeseen circumstances had.

I've made four travel insurance claims in 10 years and would never travel without it. (1) Mom slipped and fell in the buffet and had to be medically evacuated from Belize. The cost of the flight was $18k but we paid nothing. Plus transport to and from airport in ambulance - zero copay. No charge for 24 hours in the shipboard hospital, either. (2) A hurricane was hitting our hometown when we got off the ship and Jetblue couldn't find us another flight home for six days. Travel insurance paid for rental car, hotel and meals until they could get us home. (And insurance paid for a nice hotel at Universal Studios so we were able to make lemonade out of lemons.) (3) Mom had a stroke two weeks before a cruise. The full value of the cruise ticket and airfare for her and her sister was covered. (4) I had to have an emergency medical procedure (45 years old, non smoker, otherwise healthy so absolutely no warning) and was forced to cancel a cruise. Full fare and airfare was also covered.

The total cost of the four policies on which we claimed was less than $1000. The value of benefits paid was at least $35,000. If you add in the cost of insurance I've paid for the other seven cruises I took, but didn't use the insurance for, over that same period my total insurance cost increases to about $3100. That's still a very good return on my investment. The money you save buying nonrefundable versus refundable airfare more than covers the cost of travel insurance for the entire cruise vacation.

Plus you can't put a dollar value on peace of mind. If you don't have to use the insurance, just be grateful for that rather than considering the money wasted.

Being young and healthy has ZERO to do with anything. A fifty year old couple wiped out on a moped in Bermuda on my last cruise. They were taken to the hospital and never made it back to the ship. Their daughter flew to Bermuda to help them get home. Fortunately they were traveling with friends, who helped pack up their room and the the things in their safe with the crew. It was a drama. Things do happen.

I've made four travel insurance claims in 10 years and would never travel without it. (1) Mom slipped and fell in the buffet and had to be medically evacuated from Belize. The cost of the flight was $18k but we paid nothing. Plus transport to and from airport in ambulance - zero copay. No charge for 24 hours in the shipboard hospital, either. (2) A hurricane was hitting our hometown when we got off the ship and Jetblue couldn't find us another flight home for six days. Travel insurance paid for rental car, hotel and meals until they could get us home. (And insurance paid for a nice hotel at Universal Studios so we were able to make lemonade out of lemons.) (3) Mom had a stroke two weeks before a cruise. The full value of the cruise ticket and airfare for her and her sister was covered. (4) I had to have an emergency medical procedure (45 years old, non smoker, otherwise healthy so absolutely no warning) and was forced to cancel a cruise. Full fare and airfare was also covered.

The total cost of the four policies on which we claimed was less than $1000. The value of benefits paid was at least $35,000. If you add in the cost of insurance I've paid for the other seven cruises I took, but didn't use the insurance for, over that same period my total insurance cost increases to about $3100. That's still a very good return on my investment. The money you save buying nonrefundable versus refundable airfare more than covers the cost of travel insurance for the entire cruise vacation.

Plus you can't put a dollar value on peace of mind. If you don't have to use the insurance, just be grateful for that rather than considering the money wasted.

Right, but this is exactly why OP doesn't have insurance. Scenario 1: slip and fall - a young and healthy person most likely won't need to be medically evacuated. Scenario 3: young and healthy people usually don't have strokes. Scenario 4: young and healthy people rarely need emergency medical procedures. Scenario 2 can happen to anyone but the question left is if the cost of all 4 insurance policies was more or less than the costs incurred in scenario 2?

I fall into the young and healthy category and don't insure my trips. The money I save doing that covers an emergency if one happens. Now the important point is my health insurance DOES cover me outside of the country and covers medical evacuation. And I do occasionally buy a medical/evacuation only policy when I'm in a higher risk situation and know I'll be far from medical care.

So the rest of insuring of the trip (and the main cost of trip insurance)is just related to cancellation or interruption. I had a very expensive safari planned in Africa. Trip insurance was going to run several hundred dollars. Was able to get medical/evac only for $30, so most of what you are paying for is cancellation/interruption.

The chance of me cancelling is very very low (secure job, contractually guaranteed vacation, young and healthy, and frankly wouldn't cancel unless I was hospitalized) and I'm willing to take on the costs of interruption with the thousands I've saved over the years by not insuring trips.

Folks, let's move past why they should have insurance. Too late now. Hind sight is 20/20 Monday morning quarter back etc. Even with insurance it would be a magical fix to get the taken care of. Easier maybe but surely it can and get fixed. She can't be the first person without insurance this has happened to and won't be the last. Shame on those of you piling on this couple saying that they should have had insurance. Thanks to those of you who have offered helpful suggestions and tips.

Right, but this is exactly why OP doesn't have insurance. Scenario 1: slip and fall - a young and healthy person most likely won't need to be medically evacuated. Scenario 3: young and healthy people usually don't have strokes. Scenario 4: young and healthy people rarely need emergency medical procedures. Scenario 2 can happen to anyone but the question left is if the cost of all 4 insurance policies was more or less than the costs incurred in scenario 2?

I fall into the young and healthy category and don't insure my trips. The money I save doing that covers an emergency if one happens. Now the important point is my health insurance DOES cover me outside of the country and covers medical evacuation. And I do occasionally buy a medical/evacuation only policy when I'm in a higher risk situation and know I'll be far from medical care.

So the rest of insuring of the trip (and the main cost of trip insurance)is just related to cancellation or interruption. I had a very expensive safari planned in Africa. Trip insurance was going to run several hundred dollars. Was able to get medical/evac only for $30, so most of what you are paying for is cancellation/interruption.

The chance of me cancelling is very very low (secure job, contractually guaranteed vacation, young and healthy, and frankly wouldn't cancel unless I was hospitalized) and I'm willing to take on the costs of interruption with the thousands I've saved over the years by not insuring trips.

My son was only 20 when his appendix ruptured. He was young ( still is ) and healthy!

Sorry but young healthy people do have health emergencies! They simply don't THINK it can happen to them.

Thankfully he was at his home when it happened.

I do hope she can make the cruise and things end up on a happier note! Looking forward to hearing what happens!

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

Two thoughts:

1. As far as insurance goes, keep in mind that you don't have to get the ship's travel insurance ... or nothing. The ship only offers one type of policy: A full-coverage deal for a fairly hefty price. You can contact your own insurance company or an online company and can pick-and-choose the coverage you want. For example, we always get emergency evacuation coverage, but we do not pay for health insurance (because our regular insurance will reimburse us for medical costs), nor do we pay for lost luggage coverage (because we drive ourselves to the port). The point: You can pick just the coverage you want ... for a lower price.

2. I understand the victim in this situation hadn't yet boarded her cruise, so she had no options ... but this is why it's wise NOT to carry your passport ashore. Pickpockets are very, very good at "their job", as this unfortunate lady would testify, so it's wise to keep it safely in your stateroom safe. Once you have your ship ID, which is evidence that the ship has verified your identity, you're good to go as far as the ship is concerned ... and the reason you carry your passport (or other ID) is so you can re-enter the US at the end of your cruise.