Live From The Grand Princess

BigTimeCruiser

Curt and Cindy --

Welcome to the secret society of the infamous "BLACK CARD"

Have they trained you in the handshake and secret signal yet?

:D

Earl

Hi Earl and Carolyn,

Thanks--Yes, we had a 1 hour period of instruction in all that BLACK CARD stuff. Sure makes cruising easier! Oh, we even got invited this week to the super secret luncheon!!

Take Care,

Curt :) :)

Are you guys talking about the Amex Black Card? THat's my husband's life-long desire.

Robin - it represents reaching "Elite Status" with Princess. Blue cards are for new cruisers, gold for gold level, silver for platinum level and black cards for elite level.

I hope your husband gets his Amex card :)

Curt - congrats on the most traveled luncheon! Hopefully Trever will be there. I hope he is on the ship now.

Curt: I also say congrats on the most traveled lunch. I know Coral has been to some of those on her Alaska cruises and we were lucky enough to be invited to one last June on our Diamond cruise to Alaska also. Coming back to the cabin and finding that invitation was definitely fun to receive. We truly enjoyed our lunch that day.

I also reached my "black" card status at the end of our June cruise, so this time I will have my first Elite sign and sail card. Took me longer to acheive this than you, but it will be nice to have.

We leave on Thursday morning for the Dec. 17th cruise. I will be very interested if you could post when the second formal night will be this week. If you are able to post early on, I would very much appreciate it. Will be interesting to see what night they pick for this cruise. Also, if the Caribbean menu seems to stay on Monday nights.

I do appreciate any information you can give me on these two things. Have a great week this week. We are looking forward to flying to Texas this Thursday for our cruise.

Hulagirl

That's the problem with trying a new cruise line, you don't get special guest status. They should have a special level for people like us who are repeat cruisers and are trying Princess for the first time. I would think that we are the ones that they would like to impress. Someone did mention that we will get priority tender tickets for being in a suite, and it looks like that is the best thing to hope for. Does Princess allow you to book spa treatments on-line before you leave? What about shore excursions, although we usually don't book those through the cruise line.

POSSIBLE THAT YOU COULD HELP WITH THIS QUESTION AS IT APPEARS YOU HAVE DONE THIS ONCE OR TWICE. (HA) cAN YOU TELL ME WHAT NIGHTS RE THE FORMAL NIGHTS? WE ARE ALSO HEADING OUT OF GALVESTON ON THE 17TH AND AM TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT NIGHTS ARE FORMAL. YOUR HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. HAVE FUN.

We leave on Thursday morning for the Dec. 17th cruise. I will be very interested if you could post when the second formal night will be this week. If you are able to post early on, I would very much appreciate it. Will be interesting to see what night they pick for this cruise. Also, if the Caribbean menu seems to stay on Monday nights.

The formal nights have been changed once again. On Nov 26th cruise they were Sun and Tues. On Dec 3rd they were Sun and Wed. And on this cruise, Dec 10th they will be Sun and Tues again!!!!!!!!

The Caribbean Menu has remain on Monday night for all cruises. :)

Debarkation December 10th

• Debarkation began at 6:30am with the first announcement for Express tickets 1-100. Everyone was off the ship by 11:25am.
  • Platinum/Elite Disembarkation Lounge was changed from the Vista Lounge to the Wheelhouse Bar. Things appeared to be a little crowded.

Other Items

• New MUTS movie---Christmas with the Kranks.
  • The ship was decorated for the holidays last cruise.

Curt: Thank you so much for the information on the formal nights and on the Caribbean menu. I can't begin to tell you how much we have appreciated all the information you have passed on during you first 2 weeks and now for this last week. It really have been very helpful. I hope you have a wonderful week being this is your last week and we are anticipating boarding the ship this coming Saturday.

RobinSilver: Yes, being in a suite you do get priority tender tickets. These definitely do help at those particular ports. You can book spa treatments online also for this ship. Ours opened up long before the shore excursions opened up. Be sure and look at the first page when you get into your cruise personalizer. Where it lists your information, it will say spa (something). Click on that and it will take you to the offerings and the times you want to book. Yes, you can book shore excursions online also when they open. Ours opened up 96 days before our sailing date.

Hulagirl

Weather at sea today (Sunday, Dec 11th) has been rainy and overcast. We have had very, very, heavy rain for most of the day. Winds of 35 knots and moderate seas. The temperature is on the low side for being just 80 miles away from the Yucatan--68 degrees F. Hopefully, once we get south of the Yucatan the weather will clear ahead of the cold front. Everything has been pretty crowded today (Dining, activities, etc...). Not many folks out around the pool.

Curt, my husband is very into the Trivia contests that they have had on the various cruises we've been on. Do they have trivia contests on the Grand? It could be any kind, he'll do all of them. Its especially good when the weather is bad, and my son and our friends like to join him for it. Hope your weather has gotten better.

You have been a great resource for us, and I wanted to let you know how much we appreciate your postings.

Curt, my husband is very into the Trivia contests that they have had on the various cruises we've been on. Do they have trivia contests on the Grand? It could be any kind, he'll do all of them. Its especially good when the weather is bad, and my son and our friends like to join him for it. Hope your weather has gotten better.

You have been a great resource for us, and I wanted to let you know how much we appreciate your postings.

Yes, there are trivia contests every day almost..I went to one and found the only question I could answer was"which direction did Bugs Bunny say he should have taken a left turn in?" My g/f is a scientist and couldnt answer alot of the questions that were thrown at us..otherwise it was a really good cruise..My 10th and my fdirst on Princess..I will do them again, gladly !!!

Oh, and by the way..Bug's should have taken a left in Albuquerque..just in case !

Curt, my husband is very into the Trivia contests that they have had on the various cruises we've been on. Do they have trivia contests on the Grand? It could be any kind, he'll do all of them.

There is Trivia twice each day. They have visual Trivia and Jeopardy by the Neptune Pool once each cruise. Final Trivia is at 9:45pm on Friday night. :)

We have booked a BD guarantee cabin. Do you know if the balcony is covered at all? Did you hear of many people who did the "guarantee" booking getting an upgrade?

Thanks' date='

Alexis[/quote']

This all depends on the location of a particular stateroom on the ship. If there have been people getting upgraded on a Guarantee, and some even upgraded to full suites.

We were told by wecruise4life (who is currently on board) that she was upgraded from an Inside Category K to a Category E outside--10 categories. This was a guarantee Category K. The upgrade happened at the pier in Galveston. :) :)

Given that I have read many comments from posters regarding the tendering process on the Grand recently, I thought I would call Princess to see if they were aware and if steps are being taken to improve things.

So far, they weren't, and subsequently they aren't - yet.:eek:

I was asked for the details that I had read, and also faxed a letter to their Customer relations dept. As I'm sure we all would like to see this addressed, I would suggest that we all call in to raise the issue. Hopefully changes can be made to make future cruises on the Grand (including our own:D ) more enjoyable.

Their number is 1-800-Princess (774-6237)

Archived