New to Norwegian Jewel - Questions

CCC's

We are taking a five day cruise in November 2017 from Sydney to Hobart and return to Sydney. Question/s -

Do we need a Passport (we are Australians)

When can we book Specialty Restaurants, if this is a requirement.

Booked in Cabin 10008 on deck 10 - what is approx. time we can embark on ship at Sydney.

Please feel free to add any other information which you think a cruiser new to Norwegian Jewel would find helpful.

Thank you.

Hi CCC, not sure about the passport but why not come join our Roll Call. While the RC is quiet there are some locals who'll be happy to answer your questions about passports and what not. There are also some tours already to join. :D

Here's the Roll Call link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2394683&page=3

This link is for Australian /New Zealander cruisers so you'll find some great info here as well: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77

AS for the rest of your questions: Reservations will be available to book 90 days out, do you need reservations? It depends when you want to dine, if you're flexible you might be ok without, if you have a specific time and it's within the popular dining time ie. 6:30 - 8, I'd say yes you'll need to make them. Not in the MDR though.

For embarkation: I'd try to be at the pier around 10:30, once you're through security you'll check in at the counter then be given a number to board. Boarding usually begins around 11:30 - 12.

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Connie

Do we need a Passport (we are Australians)

You would need to ask your travel agent since you are only calling at Australian ports.

When can we book Specialty Restaurants' date=' if this is a requirement.

Specialty Restaurant reservations are highly recommended. Make your reservations exactly 90 days prior to your cruise. They can be changed once you on board if needed. On a shorter cruise (5-days) there is a very high demand since everyone is trying to use their promotional dinners in a short period. Teppanyaki is the most popular and will sell out almost immediately. Cagney's is the second most popular and will sell out of prime time reservations (5:30 pm - 8:30 pm) quickly. NCL holds tables for onboard reservations, but that means that you will spend part of your embarkation day waiting in line.

Booked in Cabin 10008 on deck 10 - what is approx. time we can embark on ship at Sydney.

Boarding is first-come-first-serve. If you arrive at the port early, you can board at 11:30. Buffet will be open at 11:30. The main dining room opens at noon. All aboard time is 3 pm (you must embark by then). Muster will be at 4:30, all ship's services close at 4:00 in preparation for muster.

Please feel free to add any other information which you think a cruiser new to Norwegian Jewel would find helpful.

Thank you.

We sailed on the Jewel in 2015, 2016, and 2017. She's a good ship, no complaints. The Jewel has not been in dry dock recently, so is showing a bit of her age. With a couple of sea days and only 2 port days, it should be a relaxing cruise. Enjoy!

We really like the Jewel class ships. We enjoy the Great Outdoors for breakfast, deck 12 all the way back (overflow seating in the Italian restaurant adjoining port side), The Spinnaker Lounge, deck 13 all the way forward, the Jewel buffet (Garden Cafe) design, a bridge viewing room, deck 11 port side full forward, the free Asian restaurant, and the promenade deck, deck 7, for walking.

I'm going on that cruise too. As I understand, because it is a domestic cruise, Australians only need photo ID.

The NCL website isn't clear though and I want to verify it 100% within the next few months.

Introduce yourself on the roll call. It isn't a big group yet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Currncey on board during Australian cruise season.

Given that the jewel is based in Aus waters for a few months, is Ncl likely to charge US or Aus $ for on board purchases?

I am in the 17th nov cruise.

Cheers. Mark

Thank you all for the great information. Much appreciated. I usually cruise on Celebrity Solstice but the Norwegian Jewel piqued my interest, particular its style of dining at many and varied restaurants etc. And the fact that it is only a five (5) day cruise is a great way to check out a new cruise ship to Australia.

I'm pretty sure you will still need a passport. I was on a RCCL cruise that only visited Aus ports but still needed one as we sailed in international waters. I would ring the NCL Aus office to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Currncey on board during Australian cruise season.

Given that the jewel is based in Aus waters for a few months, is Ncl likely to charge US or Aus $ for on board purchases?

I am in the 17th nov cruise.

Cheers. Mark

Currency onboard NCL ships is US$ regardless of where you are sailing.

Just a FYI - you do know that the balcony to that room is a hull balcony? To some it doesn't matter, others it does.

It might sound odd to some cruisers but when I 'phoned Norwegian Cruises I actually asked for this type of cabin. I believe it is called PrivaSea ? The sales rep did state during my discussions with her that "most people don't want this type of cabin/balcony". On all my previous cruises I have always had a balcony cabin and found it was (just like Goldilocks) either too windy, too cold, too hot, no shade, etc. I am actually looking forward to experiencing this style of cabin where I can sit on my balcony without being too buffeted by the wind, rained upon or no shade. I can still look out to sea and it has a clear view. It will certainly be a different experience to my previous cruises.

It might sound odd to some cruisers but when I 'phoned Norwegian Cruises I actually asked for this type of cabin. I believe it is called PrivaSea ? The sales rep did state during my discussions with her that "most people don't want this type of cabin/balcony". On all my previous cruises I have always had a balcony cabin and found it was (just like Goldilocks) either too windy' date=' too cold, too hot, no shade, etc. I am actually looking forward to experiencing this style of cabin where I can sit on my balcony without being too buffeted by the wind, rained upon or no shade. I can still look out to sea and it has a clear view. It will certainly be a different experience to my previous cruises.[/quote']

Now that you mention it, it does seem that recently if you call NCL and are booking these rooms they have been telling people about them (using marketing speak of PrivaSea vs hull balcony).

I still remember the thread about the bride on her honeymoon who was surprised to get one of these cabins and ended up crying in bed the whole trip since it was a hull balcony so I just wanted to make sure you knew Goldilocks.

...I still remember the thread about the bride on her honeymoon who was surprised to get one of these cabins and ended up crying in bed the whole trip since it was a hull balcony so I just wanted to make sure you knew Goldilocks.

And probably divorced by now. If something like that even causes you to cry for 10 minutes... the rest of life is gonna be a real downer.

A friend of our daughters pretty much pouted through most of her beautiful wedding because one little thing was out of whack. Everything about the wedding was beautiful - unless you looked at the bride. They are getting divorced just over a year later.

And probably divorced by now. If something like that even causes you to cry for 10 minutes... the rest of life is gonna be a real downer.

A friend of our daughters pretty much pouted through most of her beautiful wedding because one little thing was out of whack. Everything about the wedding was beautiful - unless you looked at the bride. They are getting divorced just over a year later.

Yeah, she was pretty dramatic and figured the poor guy's life must be pretty fun. At least she was in/on the bed for the honeymoon.