July 4th, on the Princess Ruby...Fireworks?

rrjoy11

We will be on the Princess Ruby on the 4th of July and I was wondering if we would see any fireworks off of the ship. Our port that day is Skagway, Alaska. For any of you that have been on the Alaskan cruise on the 4th of July have you seen fireworks?

Thank for any information.

Will be interesting to see if anyone responds with having seen fireworks in Alaska.

But a little internet research found the following:

Two years ago in 2015 the State of Alaska tried to institute a ban on all fireworks that summer, but withdrew it a couple days before July 4th. (Hmmm...)

Beyond that, it is illegal to possess or use fireworks on all Federal land in Alaska, and also on all Forested Lands whether or not those lands are under Federal or State control. Outside of small patches of the central cities (Juneau, Skagway, Haines) it sure appears to me that all of the Peninsula consists of forested land.

Now whether or not it is legal to launch fireworks from a barge in the ocean (which is the usual MO in any waterfront area) I could not find.

(But I wouldn't count on it. Further searching found there there is only one legal retailer selling fireworks in the entire state of Alaska, and it is illegal to even possess them within the city limits of almost every city in mainland Alaska or along the Kenai coastline).

I have only seen fireworks on one cruise. It was in Wales and they managed to set a couple of barns on fire a couple of miles from the dock during a July 4 display for us on Golden Princess as we pulled out of port.

I have sailed 2x over the 4th of July in Alaska and no fireworks. Besides, it doesn't get dark until way late, after you have left port.

Once, we were in Ketchikan and it was sort of annoying to be there then. There was a local parade and it was impossible to walk across town due to the parade.

"Fireworks" on a Princess ship would be to announce an official debate in The Princess Theater.

Topic: Should Princess Formal Night Dress Code Be Enforced or Ignored.

But true story as to how I found out about the only line that does have live fireworks.

I was sitting on an RCCL ship above deck, waiting for us to sail from Nassau. Next to us was a Disney ship, and as I gazed at the elaborate water slide, saw the beautiful lighting and decor, I listened to the cruise director run down an extremely thorough list of activities were there were multiple choices, family activities, then adult oriented activities later in the night. It made me think of my numerous visits to the Disney Parks and how every last detail is taken care of from opening until late evening. I mentioned to someone my feelings and stated: "all that's missing is the fireworks display," to which a past Disney Cruiser stated: "oh, they do that too!"

If a port is an AMERICAN port...they might do fireworks, but the ship won't. It's not an AMERICAN SHIP.

They decorate onboard. And one year we had one of the copies of the Declaration of Independence onboard for a few hours in Juneau.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Declaration-of-Independence-onboard-Princess-ships-in-Juneau

I have sailed 2x over the 4th of July in Alaska and no fireworks. Besides, it doesn't get dark until way late, after you have left port.

Once, we were in Ketchikan and it was sort of annoying to be there then. There was a local parade and it was impossible to walk across town due to the parade.

Oh yes, we were at the parade one year, too! Had forgotten all about it. We had fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh yes, we were at the parade one year, too! Had forgotten all about it. We had fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was my first cruise in Alaska and I didn't know what to expect. There was a bunch of people on Creek Street watching something - I thought maybe salmon were running. No, they were having a rubber ducky contest in the water along Creek Street.