Hurricane forecast

stev5138

I like it how people ask what the forecast is on an internet message board, but cant google hurricane forecast for 2017....LOL. Im not bashing the poster, but most answers are rite at your finger tips, just start typing.

We do need a like button🤣

I hear lots of reasons why people book at that time of year--the most prevalent is they don't want to pull kids out of school. Hell, I'd pull them out any day over risking their lives in a hurricane!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A bit dramatic? Risking their lives? You do realize the cruise ships re route if there is a hurricaine where they are supposed to go.

They do not sail into a hurricane and I am not aware of even 1 passenger on a cruise ship that has ever died from a hurricaine.

Russian Roulette? Risky your Life? How many cruise passengers have died or been hit by a hurricane? We travel to the Caribbean every fall, great time to travel. Get travel insurance for safety sake.

I think the majority of our cruises have been during hurricane season. When the kids were younger it was just when we were able to cruise. Yes, I had one cruise that was rerouted because of a hurricane, but we still had a great time.

I used to tell myself that there was no way that I would ever cruise at Christmas....well, currently it is the only time that I can get the schedules for both my boys to mesh, and we can visit the Grandparents in Florida. The younger son is a competitive Irish Dancer, and we work around his major competitions. He will need to miss enough school for dance, and our district is pretty strict on attendance. The older son is in college, and I know that as of now he still comes home for Christmas.

One day all this will change, and I will be thrilled to do a cruise in the middle of January!!

NEVER book during hurricane season! That's how you avoid it! OMG! That's nuts trying to cruise and play Russian Roulette with the weather! January-March is the best!

So....curious...how are you not playing "russian roulette" with the weather January-March? Is there some weather guarantee during those months that prevents weather from impacting a cruise during those month? Or is it, those months don't have a daunting label equal to "hurricane season"....which of course is half the year.

Oh and fwiw....dunno if you heard about the issues the Anthem of the Seas had trying to sail around a storm that damaged the ship......a cruise in the non hurricane season month of February...

As a matter of fact, there's one brewing out there now!

Well it's a Tropical Storm and soon to hit land. Didn't impact any sailings, ports, embarkations or debarking. Mostly rain. But as it wasn't around on Sunday when most ships leave Gulf Coast ports and it'll be gone tomorrow, just shows you how quickly these things can pop up and move.

Tot he poster who asked about winter storms. Yes there can be winter storms and re-routing but these aren't typical in the Caribbean. What is typically during winter months is winter weather flight delays. That happened this past winter a couple of times and created some departure delays and probably lots of cruisers missing their ships.

So....curious...how are you not playing "russian roulette" with the weather January-March? Is there some weather guarantee during those months that prevents weather from impacting a cruise during those month? Or is it, those months don't have a daunting label equal to "hurricane season"....which of course is half the year.

Oh and fwiw....dunno if you heard about the issues the Anthem of the Seas had trying to sail around a storm that damaged the ship......a cruise in the non hurricane season month of February...

Of course I've heard about the Anthem---sailing out of the NY area--my home state which we escape in the winter from because of the nasty blizzards. I sail out of South Florida, as a rule. And it is true that you can run into a storm at any time of year. I just choose not to risk my well saved cruise dollars on a cruise that could become a nightmare. Oh, I'm well aware that the Captain will keep everyone safe and sail around it, and change itinerary---very aware--but I choose not to. And that's my perogative---as it is yours to choose hurricane season. If I sounded a bit dramatic, I apologize, but I'm the kind that fears the worse, and tries to avoid it. Definetly not an easy going gal--LOL! Type A all the way. And I know my children feel the same in relation to not sailing at that time of year, as they pull kids out of school for our trips all the time.

Well it's a Tropical Storm and soon to hit land. Didn't impact any sailings, ports, embarkations or debarking. Mostly rain. But as it wasn't around on Sunday when most ships leave Gulf Coast ports and it'll be gone tomorrow, just shows you how quickly these things can pop up and move.

Tot he poster who asked about winter storms. Yes there can be winter storms and re-routing but these aren't typical in the Caribbean. What is typically during winter months is winter weather flight delays. That happened this past winter a couple of times and created some departure delays and probably lots of cruisers missing their ships.

Exactly! We sail the winter months, but the problem is always the flights out of Buffalo, NY. We fly out at least one day prior, but it has been known to take us 2 days one year to make it to our destination.

Russian Roulette? Risky your Life? How many cruise passengers have died or been hit by a hurricane? We travel to the Caribbean every fall, great time to travel. Get travel insurance for safety sake.

Sorry--didn't mean to sound quite so dramatic, but I guess I feel that strongly about avoiding hurricane season. As for travel insurance, we always purchase it, but you DO risk your cruise to change or be cancelled during that time of year. The seas are notoriously more rough. We sailed the New England coast one Autumn, and it was the last time my hubby or I even considered one at that time of year. The seas were very rough, and the upper decks were roped off to keep people off and safe. What a waste of our hard earned cruise dollars. Yes, no lives were lost. But a crappy vacation. You can book any time of year you want--that is your perogative. But I will cruise at a time of year that I know I will have a nice vacation. And, yes, **** can happen at any time of year. I am not a cruising novice, I am well aware of itinerary changes, etc, for any variety of reasons, but if you are a seasoned cruiser, you cannot deny the weather and seas are better January-March. They don't call it "high season" for nothing, as it is the most favored time of year to cruise.

Unpredictable and inaccurate as always....

Yeah, NOAA hasn't had a great record lately with their seasonal hurricane predictions. Seems like almost every year, they've had to downgrade their predictions after half the season has gone by.

I remember the year after Katrina/Rita and all those bad storms, NWS' prediction was for a much busier than normal hurricane season (which they blamed on global warming at the time)...and it ended up being one of the lightest years for Atlantic basin hurricanes in recent memory.

The TL;DR: any predictions or forecasts this far out are little more than guesswork. :)

For peace of mind, consider getting "cancel for any reason" trip insurance as soon as you make your initial payment, since you can't get that option for too long after first payment.

Start keeping an eye on the National Hurricane Center's homepage around a week before your cruise, and be prepared for potential changes to dates or itineraries. Those low hurricane-season cruise fares are reduced for a reason....

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

I like it how people ask what the forecast is on an internet message board, but cant google hurricane forecast for 2017....LOL. Im not bashing the poster, but most answers are rite at your finger tips, just start typing.

Same could be said for almost every question posted here, not just about weather. The answer can be found on the carnival web site faster than waiting for replies here

Same could be said for almost every question posted here, not just about weather. The answer can be found on the carnival web site faster than waiting for replies here

Ehhhh, not always...and the website can be mind-numbingly slow.

I learned about FTTF, and Carnival's BtF tours, here on CruiseCritic long before I was able to find them on Carnival.com.

• 4 months later...

Any of the posters who didn't trust the Hurricane Prediction want a crack at explaining how they (the posters) could be so wrong? Seems like the Hurricane Prediction #'s were pretty darn accurate.

And while the H season doesn't end until Nov 30, hopefully it is finally winding down with some areas having a Halloween tropical depression.

I think that I have been very lucky since the last five cruises that I have taken were done during hurricane season., those being done during the months of September, October ro early November. And done those only then becasue of work schedules and other reasons (price). Now that I am retired though, am very much more thinking of the possibilities at this time of year. but honestly, there are other reasons besides this that make me think twice about the price of a cruise these days.

If you go to LMGTFY dot com (It stands for Let me Google that for you) and put in the search criteria it will give you a link to provide to these poor souls with no Google-Fu. The link visually performs the search for them and then dumps them to the actual google results. It's a nice but somewhat snarky training tool. :D

i love let me google that for you...but then, i have an honorary degree in sarcasm. :)