Random musings Equinox June 18 sailing

Mattingly23

4. Thinking that Internet connections would be really good is just not realistic. Most people use it to send email, print boarding passes etc. Work? I'm on vacation, I don't expect to be doing much of it. You'll know better for the next cruise.

I disagree. Reliable, fast internet at sea is possible and can be expected. RC Oasis Class ships has excellent internet connection. Everyone uses the internet differently so to say "Most people use it to send email, print boarding passes etc" is overly generalized. Celebrity isn't RC but they do market their internet as fast. However, based on my experience on the Silhouette this isn't the case. Maybe the Equinox is better than he Silhouette but I do not think that is the case.

Maybe the Equinox is better than he Silhouette but I do not think that is the case.

We were on the Eclipse in Nov, and the internet was terrible most of the time. Then we did the Equinox in June and it was much better (most of the time). Although I wouldn't call it "fast", it was good enough for most of the things I wanted it for.

Divina is much better then Equinox.

Divina has its issues as well. Gosh, that pool area is the definition of 10 pounds of bologna in a 5 pound bag. As I stated earlier, however, pools & sun lounging hold no interest for me at all, so it doesn't matter to me that the area is overcrowded. I simply avoid it. Also as I previously mentioned, I feel the Equinox crew is miles above Divina's in personality, professionalism, etc.

I found most of Equinox's public areas just...uncomfortable. We utilized most lounges, the library, the area on deck 7 with the globe (forgot what they called it), the solarium, etc and never found a comfortable chair that I could sit in for more than 10 minutes. The entire ensemble lounge was so dark...night & day...that I found it depressing. No outlets in any public area to plug in a laptop.

I found the MDR's to be similar in quality with Equinox having an edge (no pun intended) due to overcrowding & poor service in the Divina MDR. No comparison with the buffets...Divina's far surpassed Equinox.

Both ships have many very good aspects...I find those aspects on Divina more to my liking. Obviously you do as well. It doesn't mean that others think as I do. You certainly can't go wrong with Equinox

OP, I believe your opinions of the food. I felt the same way about Celebrity's food decline on my last cruise. Nothing memorable for me either. In the OV it was select the lesser of the evils. Much of the food I experienced in the MDR had been sitting under a heat lamp for quite some time.

I believe it really depends on who's in the kitchen for your particular cruise and how much they care about the quality of the food they put out. As you know contracts are constantly rotating so one person who has had a great experience could not have the same with a different crew member in the same position such as you did.

Food preparation, quality, presentation and taste are important aspects of sailing for me. It's the difference between an OK cruise and a great one. My last cruise, compared to other Celebrity cruises I've sailed, was just OK also.

I want to go home remembering something...anything...relating to food. An entree that "wowed" me...a special dessert...heck even a good croissant. I had a very sub par cruise on Carnival many years ago, but still remember the chocolate muffins they served in the morning. Unfortunately I brought home no food memories from this cruise and that makes me sad.

I want to go home remembering something...anything...relating to food. An entree that "wowed" me...a special dessert...heck even a good croissant. I had a very sub par cruise on Carnival many years ago, but still remember the chocolate muffins they served in the morning. Unfortunately I brought home no food memories from this cruise and that makes me sad.

Soooo disheartening. :(

I found most of Equinox's public areas just...uncomfortable. We utilized most lounges, the library, the area on deck 7 with the globe (forgot what they called it), the solarium, etc and never found a comfortable chair that I could sit in for more than 10 minutes. The entire ensemble lounge was so dark...night & day...that I found it depressing. No outlets in any public area to plug in a laptop.

My wife and I also think that the seating on Celebrity is terrible. Don't know who they designed any of the chairs or sofas for. They are too deep, too high or too low. My wife is a little over 5 ft and she can't find anything that is comfortable. I am almost 6 ft and I can't either. Both of us are trim. The tables are also either are too high for the chairs or too low. Same at the bars.

I think it is intentional to keep passengers from camping out and to move on.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I think this will be an exercise in wasted key strokes, but here goes:

In my opinion you had an agenda to discredit my comments, and structured your comments accordingly.

You took the time & effort to quote me, but removed my first two comments, both very positive, because (I assume) they did not fit your agenda.

You decided my cruise was "ruined" when at no time did I ever infer this in my comments. Again, to fit your agenda I assume.

You assumed, incorrectly, that I was a novice cruiser, when in fact I have cruised many times. In fact, I did have four (4) 8-packs of Bonine packed and they were utilized. If you've ever experienced sea sickness, you will know this is not a cure-all miracle pill.

You assumed I did not understand the speed & reliability of satellite internet service. In this case, there were complete outages lasting 1-3 hours which I find unacceptable (and have not happened on previous sailings) at the prices paid for internet service.

You had the audacity to instruct me on the concept of tipping, while having no idea of anything about me or whom I might (or might not) have tipped. For the record, I spent 30 years in various service industries, starting at age 12 delivering the Bergen Evening Record and I fully comprehend the concept. Even if I did not, you have no place instructing anyone in tipping unless it is solicited.

Good day Sir.

LIKE button!:D:D

We were also on the same cruise.

My opinion......service was awful. For Celebrity standard was expecting better. We have another cruise booked on the Equinox and am hoping that there are improvements in service. Been on the Summit several times and the staff crew and service is by far better. We encountered a lot of rude staff on the Equinox, including the two beverage managers or "incharges".

The ship is very nice. Ports were nice. Too bad we missed Key West. Had no problems at embarkation or disemarkation.... fast and easy. MDR food was OK. Oceanview cafe was not bad at all. Just that at breakfast and lunch it was absolutely impossible to get a seat. Captain's Club continental breakfast was nice and quiet in the Tuscan grill and service was good there. Had dinner one night at Murano's where food and service was very good.

We liked the shows a lot. Production shows were fantastic and we enjoyed Savannah Jack and his show.

Spa was very nice. We purchased the cruise pass. At times it was hard to get a heated lounger, but it was not that bad.

I was also surprised that they allowed a 13 and 14 year old in the Persian Gardens on the heated loungers, where the sign says you have to be over 18. The 13 and 14 year old I saw were far more well behaved than many adults, so I have to give it to them!

Our cabin was on deck 7. Quite convenient to most venues. Cabin was good, storage was ample.

Edited by Arzeena

Thanks for your thoughts on your Equinox sailing, Mattingly23 (btw, I forgive you for being an obvious Yankees fan, lol). We'll be on Equinox for our 3rd time in October, so we obviously like her.

Yours is not the first report of their buffet offerings slipping. I have always thought the S class OV was excellent for a buffet, but we have not sailed Equinox since 2015, so we'll just have to wait and see. Food is certainly subjective, but even though not what it once was, we've always found a few things that stood out on Celebrity. To me, their lava cake is to die for!

I have to say that generally Celebrity's choice of seating styles has been chosen by someone who does not spend much time sitting, but this goes back to the days of Zenith.

Funny, but when you mentioned the lack of a place to sit & read, the first place I thought of was the Ensemble Lounge; despite the low to the ground seating, we always found it bright in daytime. Did they keep the windows covered?

I've been thinking of trying MSC for years, but just have not been able to pull the trigger. More food for thought. Their pool area sounds similar to that of Norwegian Breakaway; woefully crowded.

Happy cruising!

Hi Arzeena! Didn't see your post. See you in October!

Edited by richsea
added last sentence

Thanks for your thoughts on your Equinox sailing, Mattingly23 (btw, I forgive you for being an obvious Yankees fan, lol). We'll be on Equinox for our 3rd time in October, so we obviously like her.

Yours is not the first report of their buffet offerings slipping. I have always thought the S class OV was excellent for a buffet, but we have not sailed Equinox since 2015, so we'll just have to wait and see. Food is certainly subjective, but even though not what it once was, we've always found a few things that stood out on Celebrity. To me, their lava cake is to die for!

I have to say that generally Celebrity's choice of seating styles has been chosen by someone who does not spend much time sitting, but this goes back to the days of Zenith.

Funny, but when you mentioned the lack of a place to sit & read, the first place I thought of was the Ensemble Lounge; despite the low to the ground seating, we always found it bright in daytime. Did they keep the windows covered?

I've been thinking of trying MSC for years, but just have not been able to pull the trigger. More food for thought. Their pool area sounds similar to that of Norwegian Breakaway; woefully crowded.

Happy cruising!

Yes, Yankee fan born & raised :)

Interesting about lava cake! One of my favorite desserts, but I've never seen it on Celebrity. Is it something offered only in specialty restaurants?

Hi Everyone,

I was on the same cruise as the OP, but had a much better experience. I thought the MDR food was better than the last time we were on the Equinox and our MDR team was excellent. Kevin, our cabin steward was one of the best we've had in several cruises. The one visit to Murano was great. Entertainment seemed pretty good as well.

I can't compare it to MSC at this time (although we have a March cruise on the new Seaside -- YC also). Ship ratings give the Divina a 4.0 and the Equinox a 5.5; not sure many people rate MSC above Celebrity here on Cruise Critic? We got a great deal on an inside suite in Yacht Club on the Seaside -- it's nice to try something new.

I think missing the first port (Key West) and the rough seas started some people on a negative path. After 63 cruises, I still believe Celebrity is the best bang for the buck out there!:D

Enjoy!

Kel

Yes, Yankee fan born & raised :)

Interesting about lava cake! One of my favorite desserts, but I've never seen it on Celebrity. Is it something offered only in specialty restaurants?

It used to be available daily at Bistro on Five. I doubt if they offer it in the new sushi iteration. It was also available one or two nights in the MDR.

Completely off topic, but I recall back in the 80s, the discussions about who was better, Keith or Donnie Baseball. (Keith, of course) NY was lucky to have two great first-basemen back then.

Divina is much better then Equinox.

I have been on both and enjoyed the experience on both. They are just different. I found the crew to be equal on both ships - friendly and helpful. Divina has some beautiful areas, but then, so does Equinox. With food being so subjective, I find it better on the Equinox although the Divina does have an excellent buffet. The gelato on Divina was "to die for". They definitely excelled there! :D

Looking forward to my Equinox cruise in November (#3) as well as my MSC Seaside cruise next April (#2 on MSC). Variety is the spice of life!

!

We refer to The Ensemble Lounge as The Tomb. The windows are totally covered with seemingly black-out curtains. The only way you could read in there would be with a back-lit Kindle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Happy cruising!

See you too! :D;)

P.S my fav places to vegetate were the lawn aft and deck 5 right outside the cafe AlBachio. Didn't realize they had rockers!!!!

We refer to The Ensemble Lounge as The Tomb. The windows are totally covered with seemingly black-out curtains. The only way you could read in there would be with a back-lit Kindle.

LOL! :D

I swear I could hear eerie organ music playing!;p;):D

It used to be available daily at Bistro on Five. I doubt if they offer it in the new sushi iteration. It was also available one or two nights in the MDR.

Completely off topic, but I recall back in the 80s, the discussions about who was better, Keith or Donnie Baseball. (Keith, of course) NY was lucky to have two great first-basemen back then.

If we didn't know each other back in the '80's we could certainly revive that spirited discussion once again. That topic never gets old :)

Happy cruising!

The windows were covered day & night. Was just a dreary place IMO. DW & I hung there 2 evenings because we really liked a singer by the name of Victor Cruz, but we both had the same thoughts about that space.

DW & I are discussing jumping at a cheap getaway in Oct on MSC....$399pp for an inside. We both feel the same way: Our cruise on Equinox just didn't cure our needs and we're itching to do something else asap.

Interesting, I recall it differently, but haven't been on board since November 2015. They had trivia there & sometimes we would arrive early and read a bit. I'll try to remember to check it out in October.

Thank you for your objective review it was helpful. Good luck with your MSC cruise. We had a truly awful experience on our 1 & only cruise with them on Armonia, so much so if they offered us a cruise for free we wouldn't go, vacation time is too precious to waste. We are back on Equinox in Oct for 3rd time. Hoping to bump into Wallie!

I don't want to derail this Equinox review, but since the OP mentioned trying MSC, I would really encourage you to try Divina. (I'm assuming that is the ship you are contemplating.) She is a beautiful ship and there are some great bargains to be had. Try looking on the MSC Boards.

For all the rest of you, we were on this cruise and will be on the September 15 cruise as well so we are very happy with Equinox!

I was on the same cruise, my first Celebrity cruise. I thought service across the ship was very good, and everyone seemed happy to be on board, which isn't always the case. I also agree, the food was pretty average or worse. In the buffet day-after-day you'd be hard-pressed to see any food options that changed. Breakfast was good, but it went down from there. Excellent layout of the buffet, but the quality of the food reminded my of those "budget" cafeterias on land. The MDR was OK on the second Chic night, but otherwise the menu really showed little imagination. They don't even have to spend more, just maybe add a bit different selections instead of chicken, mashed potatoes and carrots. It was just VERY boring. Basic American comfort food but not a whole lot more. Other than buffet and MDR, options were slim. They had a grill that was open occasionally, and a place with limited "Spa" food, otherwise you are going to pay extra.

I mostly like Celebrity, but the food may mean no Celebrity again.