NCL Sun to be decommissioned

buddy1755

I'm still trying to find out what in the world the Sun will be "doing" during those months. It's too long for a regular refurb (unless they are planning to polish every little nut and bolt!).

Also, it seems there are still some sailings posted for June, 2018, but I'm not sure if those are mistakes (should have been removed from active sailings) or if those are really happening.

Anyone have any info about where our little favorite Sun will be heading for summer break? :)

I am happy to hear good things about the Jewel!! We love the spa so happy it is better! Also front observation for Alaska is very important.

Will be calling ncl when I get home to check on my cabins.

Kerri

Called NCL. They confirmed that the June 25th 2018 sailing has indeed moved to the Jewel.

She also said they are in the process of moving the reservations, and assured me that other than the ship the itinerary and times are the same.She said the new room should be in a similar floor (whatever that means) and that I will be notified once it is been assigned.

I assume they start with Suites and go all the way down to Insides, so I probably one of the last ones to find out.

I haven't been in either ship yet, but two of the features I was looking forward to the most are still in the new ship (outdoor buffet, and observation lounge),the only thing I will miss is las ramblas. Was really looking forward to the tapas restaurant, but oh well not a big of a deal. I am sure I won't suffer from starvation while on board.

My TA checked with very good high level source at NCL before getting back to me. The Sun will remain in the fleet.

It will be interesting to see where she ends up for the summer 2018 season.

I'm happy because I booked so early for our 2019 cruise that I had first choice in cabin category...right now it looks like we'll be able to keep it.

My TA checked with very good high level source at NCL before getting back to me. The Sun will remain in the fleet.

It will be interesting to see where she ends up for the summer 2018 season.

I'm happy because I booked so early for our 2019 cruise that I had first choice in cabin category...right now it looks like we'll be able to keep it.

As the World Cup is in Russia summer 2018, its not inconceivable that one of the big countries has booked it for their delegation (players, families, staff etc), rather than staying on shore in a hotel, for security reasons. Weigh anchor outside St Petersburg, tender in.

And you received no specific notice from NCL about the switcheroo?

I don't have a problem IF they need to switch ships.

However, I have a HUGE problem with them not making that explicitly clear to all who are affected, and give them some options.

Having them wait until... when... (??) for a "SURPRISE!!!!" is not a good way to do business, to put it mildly.

(Well, okay, if the "Surprise!" is to give everyone an unexpected OBC for no specific reason, sure. But this ain't that...!)

:(

We had NCL change us from Jewel to Sun several years ago. Found about it here on CC a couple weeks before NCL even let us know. Other sites still selling the old trip for several weeks.

We contacted TA who got in touch with NCL and got our room switched. Sun didn't have the same room for 4 of us so we got slight upgrade.

I recall small OBC like $25 so don't hold your breath.

So I called NCL last night and they did not want to cancel and rebook me for July Alaska.

They said they are in the process of moving everyone to their old locations.

Should I have just canceled and rebooked?

I'm thinking I should call back today....Should I just call and rebook now?

Kerri

I love the Sun. I would be sad to see it go. I thought the Spirit would go first as that ship is older. Jewel class and the Sun are my favourite. I hope they are around for a lot longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As the World Cup is in Russia summer 2018, its not inconceivable that one of the big countries has booked it for their delegation (players, families, staff etc), rather than staying on shore in a hotel, for security reasons. Weigh anchor outside St Petersburg, tender in.

This makes sense. The World Cup is from June 14 - July 15 2018 so it matches up quite well. Wonder if the US would do this or maybe even Brazil.

Glad the Sun isn't going anywhere just yet, anyway.

I called my PCC and booked the "Sun" June 11, 2018 cruise today but he said actually it will be the Jewel and that as soon as they make the change I should call back and make sure my new cabin is one I want.

He said they had received an email about the change to the Jewel but it was still in the system as the Sun and would probably be switched over in the next day or two. But I'll just wait and see when they get around to my balcony cabin.

I did not ask if the Sun was being decommissioned or going to the World Cup or sold to another line or what. I just booked my cruise.

".this change is only for the Norwegian Sun reservations between the dates of 5/26/2018 - 9/10/18. All future cruises aboard the Norwegian Sun will have no change..."

Those are the approx. dates that the Sun would be doing the Alaska cruises from Vancouver so it looks like the Jewel will do the Alaska 7 day north and south bounds trips in 2018.

Cheers!

Dennis

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

".this change is only for the Norwegian Sun reservations between the dates of 5/26/2018 - 9/10/18. All future cruises aboard the Norwegian Sun will have no change..."

Those are the approx. dates that the Sun would be doing the Alaska cruises from Vancouver so it looks like the Jewel will do the Alaska 7 day north and south bounds trips in 2018.

Cheers!

Dennis

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Yes, correct, however, it appears that the Sun, like many other cruise ships, has been chartered to a special voyage/cruise which will possibly accommodate a sports team and others involved of the World Cup Fifa in Russia. Who knows, we could be wrong, but the dates certainly seem to be in line with the schedule for the event.

Only NCL knows for sure. Worse case senario, you're booking is transferred to the Jewel... a larger and newer ship with the same or better ameneties.

Enjoy,

That makes me a bit sad. I just got off the Sun on Monday. While the food was a 3 out of a scale of 1-5 and the stay was a 2 out of 1-5, they did a good job refurbishing the ship IMO but I'm not someone who needs a fancy looking ship. The only thing physically that was a disappointment to me was spa as the facilities were not spa like whatsoever and more like something you might see at a gym. The hot tubs too literally had some plastic cover things falling apart but that didn't bother me but was noticeable. The layout of the ship IMO was great and it was a good size.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the cruise I am booked on NCL Sun April 19th-28th is now missing. NCL Customer rep was unable to determine if it was taken down for updating or if we will be reassigned to another ship as well.

There are no sailings listed for the Sun between March and November now.

Well the cruise I am booked on NCL Sun April 19th-28th is now missing. NCL Customer rep was unable to determine if it was taken down for updating or if we will be reassigned to another ship as well.

You may have missed today's news. The Sun will be doing Cuba cruises from Port Canaveral starting in May 2018. At the time of your scheduled cruise she will be in dry dock for refurbishment:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7939

Yes, that seems to be a big hole in the itinerary for now.

Where was Sun scheduled to go during that time?

After late May, Sun is going to Cuba and Bahamas, and Jewel is re-joining the Alaska group, but doing the same NB and SB one-ways.

Jewel also has a big hole in her itinerary for those dates, and somehow needs to get from Asia to the start of the Alaska cruises.

Norwegian announced this morning in a press release:

(1) The Sun will be in dry dock in early April 2018 in Victoria, British Columbia for upgrades for the Norwegian Edge.

(2) Following dry dock, She will head for Port Canaveral, Florida. Beginning 7 May 2018, She will be doing 4 day cruises to Cuba and 3 day cruises to the Bahamas.

(3) The Jewel will be replacing The Sun sailing to Alaska beginning 4 June 2018.

This information is available on Norwegian's website under the Media Center tab.

Mandy

Norwegian announced this morning in a press release:

(1) The Sun will be in dry dock in early April 2018 in Victoria, British Columbia for upgrades for the Norwegian Edge.

(2) Following dry dock, She will head for Port Canaveral, Florida. Beginning 7 May 2018, She will be doing 4 day cruises to Cuba and 3 day cruises to the Bahamas.

(3) The Jewel will be replacing The Sun sailing to Alaska beginning 4 June 2018.

This information is available on Norwegian's website under the Media Center tab.

Mandy

The four day will include stops in Havana and Key West...and the Sun will become the second ship to include unlimited beverages in the price of the cruise. It actually sounds like fun!!

Sent from my XT1575 using Forums mobile app