Cruising Bug Gets Worse With Age?

Steelers0854

Absolutely, as you get older you begin to realise time is getting shorter. Am blowed if we are going to sit in a chair and feel sorry for ourselves. It's a big world and one thing we are not going to be guilty of saying is "I wish we had .......". No it's going to be "do you remember......." We worked for it, we are spending it!

Hi,

My cruise addiction definitely gets worse with age. I took my first cruise (as a small child) in 1967. I have taken at least one cruise a year since 1982. I used to take one cruise a year and this gradually increased to two cruises. I am still working, but I typically now take three or four cruises a year. I prefer cruises that are at least seven days long, but I also try to fit in some shorter "bonus" cruises.

I schedule my cruises very carefully so that I minimize the amount of vacation that I use. For example, I always try to book cruises that take advantage of weekends. A four-day cruise from Thursday to Monday (three vacation days) is much better than a four-day cruise from Monday to Friday (five vacation days). I prefer 10-day cruises that include two weekends (for example, a cruise that departs on Thursday or Friday).

After taking 86 cruises, I can honestly say that I have never been on a bad cruise. I always enjoy planning (and looking forward to) future cruises.

Chuck

I thought we'd take more cruises in retirement, but this year (my first year of retirement) will work out to be two or three cruises. The most we took when we were working was three. Two of the three cruises this year were/are longer ones--to the Panama Canal and British Isles. But we still have to work around other obligations, especially during hockey season, when we don't want to miss too many home games. I'm looking at December for a cruise that we'll miss at most one home game during a 20-day stretch when our team is away most of the time.

I'd say it gets better with age. You learn there's no downside to FCC and always have at least 2 each (DH & DW) You learn that longer is better and you get increasingly able to take those long cruises.

You learn that your roll call will give you invaluable insight to ports, tours and things you didn't even know you had to know.

It's a Wonderful Life! Happy cruising.

Great suggestion on the FCC, thanks for the tip!

We are DINKS too. We don't meet many like us. Seems we are a bit scarce. Maybe we will get a chance to have a Martini at crooners someday.

I'll keep my eye out for you. Agree we are few and far between. Until then [emoji482]cheers!

Lucky Bugs!!

I have not been on a cruise since 1998. I am taking my husband on his first ever in November and I cannot wait. It is our first real vacation, together (besides our Vegas wedding in 2004) AND without children for 5 freaking nights! (I tried for a 7 but my inlaws wouldn't be able to handle our monsters for that long lol). I am trying to get him to book for another next year, but until he is on the ship, he really does not know what he is in for. I do not do well sitting for long distances, so flying somewhere is going to be rough. So, anything out of Los Angeles is a BONUS in our book!

I am exactly like you! My one and only was in 2009 and I loved it! I am taking my husband on his first next summer! He is leery about it but agreed to go! I am sure he'll love it (he better :)) This will be our very overdue honey moon! We had a quick wedding in 2014 and couldn't afford one then!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the older you get, the more you appreciate the conveniences -- only having to unpack once, not having to worry about driving anywhere or catching the train (unless you want to), being able to plan expenditures in advance instead of trying to find a place to eat breakfast on the cheap, etc.

When I was younger, I could travel with a backpack on my back, not caring about where I slept (lumpy mattress and rooms with bathrooms down the hall), not caring about where I ate (usually cheap street food and my digestive system would just deal), and going with the flow. Now that just sounds exhausting . . . and my job is exhausting enough. I go on vacations to *relax*.

So true! We are so spoiled by cruising with all of its conveniences such as unpacking only once. As we get older and less mobile at times, we appreciate that so many of the hassles of land travel are taken care of by the cruise line. We've taken numerous ta's, and we've visited so many European cities that we would never have seen on a land trip. We always have a "hotel" with an ocean view, and we never have to figure out where to get our meals. Even if we don't spend much time ashore in some ports we still have views and plenty of activities or to have a quiet place to read or relax.

We're hooked-started in 1999. Mostly we cruised every other year or so..........fast forward to now, we have 5 cruises booked from now to May 2019 [emoji33]

I particularly like using the ship as a floating hotel-did this for the Mediterranean, Hawaii, Panama Canal and soon, Alaska. Best way to see an area without being overwhelmed.

We're retired 6 years now & if we didn't have a second home in FL-we'd cruise more [emoji16]. Not planning on leaving $$$$ behind when we're done/gone!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums