Cost of 3 in a cabin vs other options

Alaskan_Kate

I'm booked on the Spirit in a balcony room with my dad . My sister may or may not join us, as she has started a new job. Assuming she can join us, looking at current prices, our options:

1) her staying in the same room (mid-ship balcony). Add on cost 3rd person (i.e. base for rest of prices below)

2) changing the reservation so my sister and I are in the same room and my dad in an inside room (appox three-four hundred more)

3) a suite, two thousand more, but an aft suite.

What do you think we should do?

That is true, but since my sister is not able to commit at the moment, I can't guarantee 3rd/4th guest will be available. Especially since that perk seems to be available more on Caribbean cruises than on others (in my experience)

I just got off the spirit with my two teenage sons. We just made it work, but I wouldn't have wanted to be with two other adults in that room. Also the third bed is pretty uncomfortable and I slept on it since I was the shortest. Just my two cents but I'd look at the other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have found 3 adults in a cabin is kind of a pain, but if you are not willing to dress in front of each other it would be a lot worse. Personally I'd try to get a studio for you dad, but if the cost doesn't matter, get a suite with a separate bedroom [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have found 3 adults in a cabin is kind of a pain, but if you are not willing to dress in front of each other it would be a lot worse. Personally I'd try to get a studio for you dad, but if the cost doesn't matter, get a suite with a separate bedroom [emoji106]

That is going to be kind of hard since the Spirit does not have any studios.

I'm booked on the Spirit in a balcony room with my dad . My sister may or may not join us, as she has started a new job. Assuming she can join us, looking at current prices, our options:

1) her staying in the same room (mid-ship balcony). Add on cost 3rd person (i.e. base for rest of prices below)

2) changing the reservation so my sister and I are in the same room and my dad in an inside room (appox three-four hundred more)

If money no object, suite (probably front vs. aft since the aft can get a LOT of shimmy on Spirit when going over 20 knots). The Spirit is the oldest ship in the fleet but one of my favorites. The suites are like little apartments and with a small number of suites the suite venues are not crowded.

Next would be separate rooms if money is no object. I'm surprised if the one person in the room by themselves is only a few hundred more with single supplement but possible.

Worst case, I wouldn't have a big deal with 3 in the room.

Have you considered a mini suite? The cabins are slightly bigger than a regular balcony with a curtain that drops down between the beds and the couch, which can be converted into another bed. They don't come with the perks of a suite, that is true but, the extra room helps with three adults. On my cruise on the Dawn in 2013, we were very comfortable for 2 weeks in a mini suite and we were 3 adult women. We will be in another mini suite this August on the Pearl.

We took our Daughter on an NCL Sun Alaska cruise and third person (Daughter) was free. Three in a cabin was manageable, but you have to work with bathroom access. We did fine and had a great cruise in a balcony. We would do it again, but probably not for a transatlantic or long cruise like over 10 days.

Have you considered a mini suite? The cabins are slightly bigger than a regular balcony with a curtain that drops down between the beds and the couch, which can be converted into another bed. They don't come with the perks of a suite, that is true but, the extra room helps with three adults. On my cruise on the Dawn in 2013, we were very comfortable for 2 weeks in a mini suite and we were 3 adult women. We will be in another mini suite this August on the Pearl.

As I understand it, the OP is sailing NCL Spirit. No minis on NCL Spirit.

WARNING - many of the suites are just a larger cabin. They do not offer a door between bedroom and living area. You have the same issues as a regular cabin with Dad and adult daughters. The 2BR suite would be great - but lots of money.

Getting Dad an inside nearby with ready access to the balcony cabin would be a good idea.

As a side note... if sister books later, she can book the inside and just switch keys later.

That is true, but since my sister is not able to commit at the moment, I can't guarantee 3rd/4th guest will be available. Especially since that perk seems to be available more on Caribbean cruises than on others (in my experience)

If there is currently 3rd/4th sale free perk just book her even if she can't commit.

If the 3-4 person Free option is there take it - but do not change cabins reservations to get it.

3-4 persons can be added deleted without much trouble. *

* x days before sailing the ships manifest may not allow any further changes.

Yes the 3-4 persons do not get the perks promos* of the primary Guests 1-2

although if in a full suite they get all the attention of the butler and concierge

just like 1-2.

* perks promos - Beverage and Dining packages are extras.

Like camping in the woods - you are family - there should be someplace to hide to change clothing

behind bushes etc.

On board the ship- pull a curtain - use the bathroom - turn around and no peeking - really you are family LOL !

I didn't know that. You learn something new every day, I guess. My apologies.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

With the different class of ships in the NCL fleet there are some nuances among the classes. The Spirit is in a class of her own and we really like the ship despite being the oldest in the NCL fleet.

WARNING - many of the suites are just a larger cabin. They do not offer a door between bedroom and living area. You have the same issues as a regular cabin with Dad and adult daughters. The 2BR suite would be great - but lots of money.

Getting Dad an inside nearby with ready access to the balcony cabin would be a good idea.

As a side note... if sister books later, she can book the inside and just switch keys later.

That is a good point about the suite could just be a larger room. It looks like the PHs on the Spirit have a door between the main bedroom and the living room. I was in one of the forward ones in Dec. 2015 but I don't recall exactly the setup and the pics I looked at seemed to indicate there is a door. The OS on the Spirit do have a door between the bedroom and living room but that room has a max of 2 people.

As far as 2BR - are you meaning like the SC? If so, the Spirit doesn't have those either.

That is a good point about the suite could just be a larger room. It looks like the PHs on the Spirit have a door between the main bedroom and the living room. I was in one of the forward ones in Dec. 2015 but I don't recall exactly the setup and the pics I looked at seemed to indicate there is a door. The OS on the Spirit do have a door between the bedroom and living room but that room has a max of 2 people.

As far as 2BR - are you meaning like the SC? If so, the Spirit doesn't have those either.

Hey Dex...what a great time we had on that Spirit sailing with you back in 2015!

We were in the forward suite (cabin #10000) that Dexddd was talking about. It was indeed like a small apartment. There were two entrances to the master bedroom, both with doors. The second bed would be a sleeper sofa in the living room definitely large enough for one adult. There was a powder room with a toilet and sink in the entry hallway. There was both a shower and a separate bathtub in the master bathroom.

We loved that suite and the Spirit!

Hey Dex...what a great time we had on that Spirit sailing with you back in 2015!

We were in the forward suite (cabin #10000) that Dexddd was talking about. It was indeed like a small apartment. There were two entrances to the master bedroom, both with doors. The second bed would be a sleeper sofa in the living room definitely large enough for one adult. There was a powder room with a toilet and sink in the entry hallway. There was both a shower and a separate bathtub in the master bathroom.

We loved that suite and the Spirit!

Hello to you and your DH! I was wondering if there was another 1/2 bath in that room - thanks. That was a great room.

Only 6 more weeks until our MSC trip for our DD grad trip.

Hello to you and your DH! I was wondering if there was another 1/2 bath in that room - thanks. That was a great room.

Only 6 more weeks until our MSC trip for our DD grad trip.

Hello to your DW too!

Would love to hear all about your MSC trip. We are considering the Yacht Club too.

By the way...you need to update your signature,lol!