Would you jump ship for this?

bogofman

The quote was from the Guardian, copied and pasted. how is it wrong? ill post part of the letter again

I booked a cruise with Royal Caribbean UK for four adults and two children. Only after our daughters had been in the ship’s pool for 45 minutes were we informed that our youngest could not use the swimming facilities as she wears swim nappies.

UK Booking Conditions

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat

*Due to US health regulations, young children in nappies/pull ups (including ' swim-safe' varieties) may not use the pools/ whirlpools. A small charge may be ...

My point was the two parent adults were acting like children.....

The people in this story could have done what we saw once on Allure. When the parents were told no swim diapers in the kids pool, they just took it off their kid. Ther problem was solved and thankfully they didn't crap in the pool.:eek:

What a bizarre reason to leave a vacation. No way would I let a restriction on an infant cause us to abandon our trip.

Absolutely true.

Well, actually, I would've done my research and would've known that the pool was off-limits to non-potty-trained kids; thus, I would've been able to make my decision with all the facts.

yeah but a 1 yo will have NO problem throwing a very loud and obnoxious temper tantrum when they see Big Sis in the pool and not be allowed to join in. and it would not be fair to Big Sis to not be allowed to go swimming just so that Little Sis doesn't find out she can't.

In this circumstances, you have several choices, none of which are silly as keeping one child poolside:

- One parent takes the older child to the pool, while the other parent does something different with the younger child ... elsewhere.

- Parents take both children to the splash zone, which IS open to babies and is just as much fun as a pool for small children.

- Parents take both children to do something else on the ship.

Note, too, that both kids can play in the ocean on island days, so the little one isn't completely forbidden to swim.

WOW........ she couldn't handle keeping baby away from the pool for a week, it's called being a parent !.....if this was me, I would be more worried about my one year old catching an illness from others...baby is only one, and not developed a full immune system,

What they don't see, they don't miss, would it have been too difficult to take baby somewhere else, or do as we did and get a small paddling pool for the baby, even have it on the balcony ?

RC knows the age of each passenger on the boat. It would be simple for them to send out pre-cruise information about what limitations apply based on a cruiser's age. That simple bit of pro-activity (which could be automated) seems like a minimal effort toward customer satisfaction when you know you have clientele from multiple countries who will have different baseline assumptions about what might or might not be allowed.

That's a bit late for folks booking UK rules as they have non-refundable deposits. Plus, this is RCI IT we're talking about here - get real.

Why not have one parent take the older child to the pool to swim and the other parent entertain the infant? Simple, logical solution! Why throw that money away? Must be nice to be able to waste that much!

My kids are pretty spread out in age (19, 12, and 6 currently). We've spent many vacations where one parent takes 1 or 2 one place while the other parent takes the other 1 or 2 elsewhere. The first time we took them all on a cruise 2 years ago I spent 2 ports at the beach with the younger 2 while my husband took the oldest on trips to the ruins, and in Belize my youngest and I took a not so interesting tour around the city while my husband took the older 2 tubing and ziplining. It is what it is when you travel with kids.

Yes, remembering......

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

RC knows the age of each passenger on the boat. It would be simple for them to send out pre-cruise information about what limitations apply based on a cruiser's age. That simple bit of pro-activity (which could be automated) seems like a minimal effort toward customer satisfaction when you know you have clientele from multiple countries who will have different baseline assumptions about what might or might not be allowed.

RCI does not necessarily know the age of every passenger until well after final payment.

Age is not the only factor that one would have to take into account. It is really a slippery slope once the cruise line takes on the responsibility of informing each passenger of limitations that may apply to him/her. I can hear the complaints now . . . "but you didn't tell me I shouldn't put a fork into the electrical outlet".

I'm sorry but that is in every document you sign. The ship makes drinkable water from the salt water, and gets rid of the pool water. But that, having the wrong type of swim wear for your kid. It is SHOWN in the documents. I'm blind, and I see it, if only under a magnifying glass, but it is still there.

Leaving a paid in full cruise cause you kid was told not to swim... Hoow bout wait until shore of an island buy what is needed. And move on. Don't leave cause the flights back to wherever you live, just isn't worth it. IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The article does not say what ship they were on, but the photo looks like an Oasis class ship, which as stated above do have the baby splash zones, so the daughter could have had water fun time, just not in an actual pool

Newspapers and TV news usually post stock pictures/Videos of random a ship they have on file. I've scene them talk about a Royal ship and post picture of a carnival ship. I'd bet these passengers weren't on an Oasis class ship and ship probably didn't have a splash zone...

Take a stand on what??? They are morons!...:rolleyes:

I think they were short sighted and should have known from common sense that a baby with a diaper is not allowed in a pool. Having said the above, I have seen many a moronic parent allow their kid in pools with diapers over the years, or some other stupid behavior. I don't tend to get in public pools either because of it along with hot tubs. :)

That being said, most people would just complain. They are taking a stand on something that is obvious that they are wrong about, but they did take a stand, knowing they were giving up $5k.

Would you walk away from $5k if you felt strongly enough about something? Does not mean you are right either!

I think they were short sighted and should have known from common sense that a baby with a diaper is not allowed in a pool. Having said the above, I have seen many a moronic parent allow their kid in pools with diapers over the years, or some other stupid behavior.

People keep saying things like this, but why is it weird that a parent would think it's ok for a kid in swim diapers to use the pool???!? Why else would swim diapers exist if not for putting kids who are in diapers in a pool?

I agree that the people who walked out on their cruise are Total idiots, but I don't think it's odd at all that many people (including myself) never gave a second thought to their kids being allowed in the pool. At our pools in our home state, kids and babies are allowed in public pools all the time, with the requirement that they be in a swim diaper. I get it now that doing so on a cruise ship is risky because if the swim diaper fails then the whole pool has to be drained which isn't easy in the middle of the ocean and would ruin the pool for the whole week, but all of you who are saying that parents should know better, or should be suspicious enough of the potential problem that they should have researched it beforehand is just as ridiculous as these people leaving the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

People keep saying things like this, but why is it weird that a parent would think it's ok for a kid in swim diapers to use the pool???!? Why else would swim diapers exist if not for putting kids who are in diapers in a pool?

There is a difference between a backyard pool and one open to the general public. It is not unreasonable to think that public health standards may be stricter.

There is a difference between a backyard pool and one open to the general public. It is not unreasonable to think that public health standards may be stricter.

Did you even read my post? As I mentioned, in my state (Colorado) babies are allowed in all public pools, as long as they are in a swim diaper. In fact, most public pools have them available for sale just in case a parent needs one. I guess the people who are so appalled that parents would take a kid in swim diapers to the pool must live in a place where that is not allowed...or just don't have children, or haven't had children since swim diapers were invented, I guess.

Did you even read my post? As I mentioned, in my state (Colorado) babies are allowed in all public pools, as long as they are in a swim diaper. In fact, most public pools have them available for sale just in case a parent needs one. I guess the people who are so appalled that parents would take a kid in swim diapers to the pool must live in a place where that is not allowed...or just don't have children, or haven't had children since swim diapers were invented, I guess.

Agreed. The whole point of swim dipes is so that babies and kids can swim while having any problem contained.

All public pools we went to during the diaper years allowed them. The YMCA allows them.

Agreed. The whole point of swim dipes is so that babies and kids can swim while having any problem contained.

All public pools we went to during the diaper years allowed them. The YMCA allows them.

It's been posted before, perhaps it was missed: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=3100. The relevant portion is the answer start (emphasis mostly mine): "Please note: Due to public health regulations ..."

I do not think it unreasonable to expect people to spend a little time checking out rules and regulations before travel. Those expecting the rest of the world to be the same as their local community are bound to be disappointed.

We will be travelling with a 3 and 1.5 year old, we are aware that our toddler will not be able to use the pool unless she is toilet trained. We knew this prior to booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk