Celebrity Cruises Evening Chic???

Bankpen

Was on the eclipse 14 night boat trip end jan /early feb 2017 . did not see anyone in a 'tux'

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on that sailing and saw several people in tuxes. On that trip I'd say the casual crowd were in the minority. Many definitely made an effort. But I agree with others, wear what you want. It's your cruise and you're there to enjoy yourself.

We'll dress up but I really don't care what others do.

Haven't cruised with Celebrity since March 2016 from Santiago through the Panama Canal to Miami in the early days of the 'evening chic' dress code changes. Certainly by the final 'evening chic' dinner the tuxedos and ladies gowns outnumbered the casual dressers, almost as if people were waiting for others to take the lead in wearing formal attire.

However, as time has passed and we are soon (October) to take a Southern Caribbean cruise from Miami on Celebrity Equinox I was wondering if the dress sense is even more relaxed now??

I for one, like the formality of 'dressing for dinner' but don't want to walk into the MDR and be mistaken for the Maitre d'!!!

Has anyone got any recent experiences to share please?

We were on the 9 day Memorial Day cruise on the Equinox also. The best thing about this new dress code is you can dress as you wish. If you feel like dressing up, go for it. If you want to wear what you would wear to the office, that's fine too. Think about going out to dinner at home. You might be casually dressed but the people at the next table are celebrating something and are dressed up. All good. We saw people in tuxes and gowns while others were in nice pants and open shirts for the men and the women were in nice slacks and tops. It's your vacation and you should be comfortable. It's not about conforming anymore, which is a wonderful thing.

Not quite sure what you mean-- did you feel that people dressed up more or that a suit and tie was over dressed? We are on Eclipse in Aug and am wavering with whether to take DH tux, or not. Packing wise, a tux or sports jacket and slacks or suit all take the same space, so that is not an issue. I can do fine with cocktail outfits, they can go either way,dressy or more casual, just need to adjust the accessories. I usually find that European cruises tend to be dressier than Caribbean

Also, on another note, do you have comments or suggestions on Port visits that you can share? There seem to be very few comments on this years Baltic cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Think sailing out of Southampton with a large proportion of British tend to favour the formal black tie. We sailed on Eclipse last June to the Baltic. We dined in Blu, it was the majority of Brits in dinner suits including DH. We are sailing New Zealand in November, don't think my husband will be taking his dinner suit but will consult roll call beforehand.

Can recommend the ships excursion to St Petersburg. We had a 2 night stopover so booked the 3 day package which was offered online only. Guaranteed not to visit same place twice. Would also book a ship's tour in Stockholm as getting out of port was a shambles with long wait for non tour buses.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

......Packing wise, a tux or sports jacket and slacks or suit all take the same space, so that is not an issue
Agree, the issue is not how much space they take, but how much use you will get from whatever clothing you pack in that space.

For most men, a sports jacket that can be paired with several different pairs of trousers, and worn on or off the ship, would be more useful and practical than a tux that will only be worn for a few hours on chic nights, and nowhere else.

But the tux might be the better choice for an orchestra conductor, or the father of a bride, or a man who really enjoys wearing a tux. clear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704

I don't pack a suit or a Tux. I haven't even packed a dinner jacket and I don't stand out on Chic evenings. Then again, I wouldn't stand out if I wore a suit, Tux or dinner jacket either.

Just wear what you feel comfortable in, unless that's a wife beater with a baseball cap in the full lock position, short shorts and flip flops. Nobody wants to see that in the MDR on Chic nights.

When we were on the Connie at Christmas, one 'gentleman' wore his baseball cap (back to front of curse) whilst eating in Luminae. I think that someone had a quiet word with him because he never did it again!

Haven't cruised with Celebrity since March 2016 from Santiago through the Panama Canal to Miami in the early days of the 'evening chic' dress code changes. Certainly by the final 'evening chic' dinner the tuxedos and ladies gowns outnumbered the casual dressers, almost as if people were waiting for others to take the lead in wearing formal attire.

However, as time has passed and we are soon (October) to take a Southern Caribbean cruise from Miami on Celebrity Equinox I was wondering if the dress sense is even more relaxed now??

I for one, like the formality of 'dressing for dinner' but don't want to walk into the MDR and be mistaken for the Maitre d'!!!

In my experience (last cruises were on Silhouette in 2016 and Summit in 2014) the dress code was MUCH more relaxed than in years past. However, my sister just got back from Summit to Bermuda and said she was shocked at how much more dressed up people were, especially the younger guests. I'm heading on the same trip next week and can report back too.

When we were on the Connie at Christmas, one 'gentleman' wore his baseball cap (back to front of curse) whilst eating in Luminae. I think that someone had a quiet word with him because he never did it again!

I would hope it was his wife.

Am I the only guy that dresses up for his wife? She loves dressing up so I try to compliment her with my attire. What others choose to wear is up to them as I really couldn't give a damn. Should I be the only person wearing a tux' then so what!

Am I the only guy that dresses up for his wife? She loves dressing up so I try to compliment her with my attire. What others choose to wear is up to them as I really couldn't give a damn. Should I be the only person wearing a tux' then so what!

It's always wise to keep your wife happy! :hearteyes:

It is definitely not like it used to be as far as dinner dress code. We have done the tux and gown thing for years and this year my husband said "no jackets" so he just took a dress shirt, tie and dress pants and looked fine. Probably right in the middle of those really dressed up and those still in jeans and polo shirts. And we only did the dining room 3 nights which we have never done before.

Truthfully, I really didn't mind the casual. I wore long dresses 2 nights and felt very dressed up for the crowds nowadays, but I enjoyed them and know I looked nice and therefore had a nice time regardless of anyone else.

I say wear what you are comfortable in and enjoy your evening. If you are worried about what others are wearing then you need to go somewhere else because you will just get yourself all worked up on the cruise. It is not like it used to be at all.

The only thing I really thought was wrong was I saw them letting a couple men in (after the first night) in shorts who really should have been turned away. I saw a lot of tacky and a lot of things that people should not have been wearing unless they were a few sizes smaller or the clothes were a few sizes larger (if you know what I mean). For those of you who get all upset about what people where - sorry but you can't control peoples tastes. Just enjoy your time.

I dont dress up for my wife - she tells me what to wear , hence my Dinner Suit on 'chic' nights . Likewise not that bothered what others wear outside my circle of friends.

Good for you. Again, wear what you want and are comfortable in. Don't dress for everyone else. Just be happy! Remember you are on vacation!!!!

Eclipse last autumn to the canaries (ex Southampton) was definitely less formal than on the previous 2 years (when it was Formal).

What my wife and I observed (based on direct conversations and those overheard) was that on the first Evening Chic night (there were 3

Over the 13 nights) people seemed unsure what to wear, but as the cruise went on people seemed more comfortable- either going more formal or staying relatively smart - casual. I opted for a summer suit, shirt no tie. My wife - a more formal long dress. Another couple on our table did the opposite - he went full DJ and his wife a cocktail dress. Seemed to work fine

We just got off a 4th of July Alaskan cruise on Solstice and this was our experience: no one dressed up. I wore a professional dress (like I normally wear for work dinners) and my husband wore a suite and tie and we were in the minority, which was disappointing. We actually had people coming up to us and commenting. Previously my husband has always taken his tux, but he's glad he didn't for this cruise. We were surprised how casual everyone was and that X now considers "designer jeans" to be an okay thing for formal night (which doesn't really work, since my definition of designer jeans may be very different from someone else's...)

We're flying into Venice on Tuesday night for a Constellation Adriatic that begins on Thursday. Already packed a sports jacket and will wear that with khakis and button down shirts on the chic nights. Reading this thread, I'll be both overdressed and underdressed at the same time (depending on who you talk to). :D

We're flying into Venice on Tuesday night for a Constellation Adriatic that begins on Thursday. Already packed a sports jacket and will wear that with khakis and button down shirts on the chic nights. Reading this thread, I'll be both overdressed and underdressed at the same time (depending on who you talk to). :D
LOL! Regardless of what you wear, there will be someone here who thinks you are overdressed or someone who thinks you are underdressed.

So please yourself and wear what makes you happy, dressed up, dressed down, or anywhere in the middle (within reason and Celebrity guidelines, of course).

That is the whole concept behind evening chic; allowing for a wide range of clothing choices so that people will feel free to express their individuality and not need to conform to someone else's idea of what they "should" or "should not" wear.

There are a few here who like to talk about what the "majority" wears, but that is totally irrelevant in this situation.

Being in the majority doesn't give you any advantage here as this is not an election; there are no winners or losers.

From what we have observed on evening chic nights, it is like dining out at a nice restaurant in a major metropolitan area where you see a wide variety in styles of dress.

Edited by fleckle

Funny question. If I were to wear something like this, would I look like the waiters?

2051909?wid=800&hei=800&op_sharpen=1

jcrew-year-round-suiting-vest_080108.jpg

Not at all [emoji41]. The waiters never get a chance to put hands in pockets.

And you wouldnt look like an Asst Maitre D either as in both pics the shirt and trousers are not ridiculously tight- so that they have a genuine reason not to bend down and pick something up [emoji12]

We think the advice, to simply dress as you please (within reasonable limits) is correct. DW and I will sometimes dress up (we are talking Tux and formal wear) and other times I might wear a jacket with open collar. You will also see many guys just wearing a decent shirt and slacks. For us, it just depends on our mood. What we find fascinating is that in Aqua Class (where the dress code as long been "smart casual") you will often find the best dressed crowd. Last December I recall one evening in Blu (I was wearing a Tux) where all the other men around us...were wearing Tuxedos. At the time we thought it was unusual and one of our nearby tablemates mentioned the topic.

To be honest, DW and I do enjoy formal (sometimes). But we also understand that our society has gradually been changing into a much more informal mode. It is rare when you go anywhere that "requires" one to dress up. In the cruise world, Cunard Line (especially the Queen Mary 2) is one of the last holdouts for real "Black Tie" dress and formal nights.

Hank