How to Contact Friends OnBoard

CanuckinSMA

I found out my Cell Phone plan does not cover texting on board a ship. How do you contact your friends who are on the ship with you? Or do you have to knock on their door?! (newbie question likely!!).

Does just calling on the phone in the cabin work?

You can call directly if you know their room number.

If you don't and have their last name, you can go through reception (they won't give you the room number).

The phones do have voice mail ;)

Remember to check for the flashing light on your phone, too ;)

Definitely a newbie here. I didn't know there were phones in the room!!!! :o

No worries and welcome :)

Yes, there are phones. and they do have messaging/voice mail.

Also you can order wake up calls, book in room dining, book specialty dining reservations, etc.

I use my phone mainly to reach out to people I am travelling with and it works well. Just as long as someone doesn't leave a message just saying "call me". LOL. You don't always connect ;)

When we were on a Christmas cruise several years ago with the entire clan, we went old school and used some small walkie talkies. They actually were quite handy. Here's a model you can google: Motorola MH230R , and yes, we used the room phones too.

I just got off of a Carnival cruise and they have an app called Carnival Hub. For $5.00 per device for the entire cruise you get texting on the ship, plus deck plans and their Fun Times on your phone. Some phones even had the dinner menus. With a few exceptions the app worked really well and we were able to stay in touch with family whenever we wanted.

I sure hope that all cruise lines institute something like this.:D

When we were on a Christmas cruise several years ago with the entire clan, we went old school and used some small walkie talkies.

Please no I was praying they disappeared.

You find out their cabin number...call them from your cabin...see if you can "pop" in! Or, ask them if they want to do what you'll be doing! Hopefully, you'll eat a meal together...you can find out THEIR plans and tell them YOUR plans...and you will know when and where to find each other! It's not the big mystery you're thinking it will be.

Hate the walkie talkies...so rude to other passengers, and even with these you will find problems with reception in all areas of the ship (all that metal!!). Just make plans the day before to meet up with your friends at certain times or places, talking to them face to face (what a concept)!

We use the room phone voice mail or post its on the door. HAL's ships aren't that big and we have never lost anyone. ;)

While we could theoretically carry our phones around, we'd rather not do so on vacation. It's actually nice to walk into a bar and see people talking. On land, you see everyone heads down, staring at their little screens.

My wife was so worried that she would never find the kids on the ship all week. we would run into the kids several times a day, ships are big but if you know where someone might be it makes it easier. Kinda the same idea when you are at the mall.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I just got off of a Carnival cruise and they have an app called Carnival Hub. For $5.00 per device for the entire cruise you get texting on the ship, plus deck plans and their Fun Times on your phone. Some phones even had the dinner menus. With a few exceptions the app worked really well and we were able to stay in touch with family whenever we wanted.

I sure hope that all cruise lines institute something like this.:D

I don't. Then everyone will be walking around with their head down, staring at their phone. :(

When we were on a Christmas cruise several years ago with the entire clan, we went old school and used some small walkie talkies. They actually were quite handy. Here's a model you can google: Motorola MH230R , and yes, we used the room phones too.

Have you noticed that absolutely everyone on CC vehemently hates the things.

DON