US Resident returning to US - Green Card Expired

Marylin

I am anxiously waiting for my interview for US Citizenship having started the process at the beginning of April. My green card expired in June, and the helpful people at USCIS advised me not to renew the green card while I was in the process of US Citizenship as it would cost about $600 to get a new green card that would be redundant as soon as the citizenship was approved. They also said that it should not take more than a couple of months to process the Citizenship. (I took a look at the processing times on the website and it stated that they are currently working on applications submitted in August 2016 :rolleyes: - not a confidence boost!)

When I explained that I had a cruise booked for October, they stamped my British passport authorizing employment until 12/31/2017 and said that would be sufficient to get me back into the US if the Citizenship process was not completed in time.

So my question is: will Royal Caribbean allow me to board with just the employment authorization in my passport? Should I call Royal Caribbean and confirm?

Of course, there is the possibility that my Citizenship will be granted in time and I will have a shiny new US Passport and have no worries, but we are within the 3 month departure time frame and I am getting anxious!

"Just breathe" :eek::eek:

I think this is a very specialized question. I would not trust the answer from a public forum.

Would suggest contacting Royal Caribbean and Immigration and Naturalization and get the correct answer IN WRITING.

RC customer service people often are not that knowledgeable, there can be language problems, and although I have always found them to be polite they are basically usually reading from a script.

Would suggest contacting headquarters in Miami - perhaps legal department.

The stamp in your passport is a visa which allows you entry into the US up until it expires. It is probably a temporary work visa, HB-1 or similar; you can think of it as working like an extension of your green card. And congrats on your pending citizenship.

Is that a work visa stamp or an I-551 stamp? You can always go out on the British passport, but coming back to US you need the green card or a VISA. I think your worst case scenario is that you get your citizenship a week before your trip and you don't have enough time to get your US passport.

You can keep your British passport once you are an US citizen, but you are suppose to leave and enter US with an US passport as an US citizen. Once you are outside of US, you could use your British passport. I suppose they may not know that you are an US citizen if you use your British passport to enter US, but it is illegal I believe.

Edited by lostchild

What they put in your passport should be an I-551 stamp. That is more than just work authorization; it's proof of your permanent residence status. However, it is also something that is easily forged, so give yourself extra time to clear immigration on return as they will likely want to check their system for your A number to make sure you are really you. If you are disembarking in the U.S., and clearing Immigration on board, that may mean that you'll be asked to stand aside while they check. If you clear on shore, or if you are flying into the U.S., you may be sent to secondary inspection. It takes extra time, but is not a matter to be concerned about.

I second the suggestion that you call the cruise line ahead of time to make sure they're familiar with your documentation. Also ask for a contact to use at the time of boarding if the boarding agent is unfamiliar with the I-551 stamp. I've seen that happen with airline agents, so it's not impossible that a cruise line agent would have the same problem.

Finally, if you find that your naturalization is approved at a time that is too close to your sailing date for you to get a U.S. passport, I'd suggest you ask USCIS to defer your swearing-in until a date after you return. You aren't a citizen until you're sworn in, so that process is how you can get at least a little bit of control over timing.

I am anxiously waiting for my interview for US Citizenship having started the process at the beginning of April. My green card expired in June, and the helpful people at USCIS advised me not to renew the green card while I was in the process of US Citizenship as it would cost about $600 to get a new green card that would be redundant as soon as the citizenship was approved. They also said that it should not take more than a couple of months to process the Citizenship. (I took a look at the processing times on the website and it stated that they are currently working on applications submitted in August 2016 :rolleyes: - not a confidence boost!)

When I explained that I had a cruise booked for October, they stamped my British passport authorizing employment until 12/31/2017 and said that would be sufficient to get me back into the US if the Citizenship process was not completed in time. Your question is too detailed and specific for casual internet forum response. Too imp;ortant a question I dou bt you want to risk being refused re-entry into U.S. at the end of your cruise. Were it me and cannot get a legitimate authority's response, I mightr rethink about the cruise but I am a low risk taker. This is not a run of he mill, common question. Good luck.

So my question is: will Royal Caribbean allow me to board with just the employment authorization in my passport? Should I call Royal Caribbean and confirm? I would not . rely upon a response from a c ruise line telephone rep. They are not always well trained, experienced and informed.

Of course, there is the possibility that my Citizenship will be granted in time and I will have a shiny new US Passport and have no worries, but we are within the 3 month departure time frame and I am getting anxious!

"Just breathe" :eek::eek:

Good luck .

Thanks everyone for your advise (I love CC)

I checked the stamp in my passport and it is an I-551 valid to 12/31/2017 so everything I have read here and online says that I am allowed to come back to the USA. I have also sent an email to RC asking for confirmation that I can board!

Fingers are still crossed that I will get my Citizenship in time to get a US Passport - that would make me breathe a whole lot easier.

I will let you know what happens.

I-551 (permanent resident) status does not expire, just the cards (government, go figure). If you have an I-551 stamp in your passport, I would think you are good to go, but I would clarify with USCIS just to make sure.

There are sites online where people track the progress of their applications, you might find it useful. We had to wait a few weeks after our interview for the oath ceremony, we went to the post office on the way home from the ceremony to apply for our passports. Note that you need to make an appointment to do that in several areas now. Good luck!

Thanks, I have been wondering about the timing between interview & ceremony as well.

I have been tracking my application, and since April it has been saying "scheduling appointment, please watch for a letter". 😔! But I have hope & tattered nerves.

I am also holding off on airline bookings, and those get more expensive the closer we get. I guess I should have started this earlier, but didn't know that a cruise to Australia was on the cards.😀

May sure it is OK to leave the US during this time. I have a friend who was told to not leave the US while she was waiting for her interview. Check with US Immigration and Naturalization for correct answer.

There is a time frame during which you're not supposed to leave, but I thought it was between interview and ceremony. Definitely double check to be sure. Each field office schedules their ceremonies differently too, you might be able to search online for details of how it's handled where you live. You might also call, if it's been so long since they said your letter is on its way.

You only have to maintain residence during this period. In other words, maintain the intent to live in the U.S. You can leave for a vacation.

The main reason people are sometimes cautioned not to leave during the period is the risk of being away when an important step is scheduled: biometrics collection, interview, or oath. It appears that you have had your biometrics already, and are awaiting the interview. I am assuming that your cruise is no longer than a couple of weeks.

If you get scheduled for an interview for a time during your cruise, you will need to follow the instructions to reschedule (which will add a couple of months to your process). If you don't get the notice before you leave, have someone watch your mail for it, and notify you if it arrives.

If you have your interview before you leave, and it's getting too close to departure date, ask at the interview if you can be scheduled for the oath after you get back. And have someone watch your mail in case they schedule you during your trip after all, so you can reschedule.

Finally, in some jurisdictions they do the interview and oath on the same day. If yours is one of those, and they schedule the interview too close to your departure for you to get a passport, you'll need to reschedule the interview.

You only have to maintain residence during this period. In other words' date=' maintain the intent to live in the U.S. You can leave for a vacation.

The main reason people are sometimes cautioned not to leave during the period is the risk of being away when an important step is scheduled: biometrics collection, interview, or oath. It appears that you have had your biometrics already, and are awaiting the interview. I am assuming that your cruise is no longer than a couple of weeks.

If you get scheduled for an interview for a time during your cruise, you will need to follow the instructions to reschedule (which will add a couple of months to your process). If you don't get the notice before you leave, have someone watch your mail for it, and notify you if it arrives.

If you have your interview before you leave, and it's getting too close to departure date, ask at the interview if you can be scheduled for the oath after you get back. And have someone watch your mail in case they schedule you during your trip after all, so you can reschedule.

Finally, in some jurisdictions they do the interview and oath on the same day. If yours is one of those, and they schedule the interview too close to your departure for you to get a passport, you'll need to reschedule the interview.[/quote']

Is this one of those situations in life where one must choose their priority,? What is MORE importantrant? U.S. citizenship or vacation? Could this be the last chance to get the citizenship? I have no knowledge of how these proceesses work.

Quite honestly, the main reason to get my citizenship is the ongoing cost to maintain a green card, plus having to remember that it expires so I can't just relax. I have both Aussie & British citizenship which would seem to be more than enough 😀😀

But having said that, I would at this stage cancel the cruise before having to go through this again.

We are booked for a 22 night trans pacific & then want to spend a couple of months in Australia, so leaving before this process is finalized isn't an option.

I am holding onto hope!

Quite honestly, the main reason to get my citizenship is the ongoing cost to maintain a green card, plus having to remember that it expires so I can't just relax. I have both Aussie & British citizenship which would seem to be more than enough 😀😀

But having said that, I would at this stage cancel the cruise before having to go through this again.

We are booked for a 22 night trans pacific & then want to spend a couple of months in Australia, so leaving before this process is finalized isn't an option.

I am holding onto hope!

If you can reschedule, you wouldn't have to start over. But you have to make sure you meet the time deadlines to reschedule (usually 30 days). With nearly 3 months away, you probably don't want to roll the dice on the timing. Too much can go wrong in that time frame. The cruise timing you can probably work around, but not the couple of months in Oz.

You might try calling the customer service line at USCIS, or if you are close to a field office, make an InfoPass appointment to go in and inquire. Most of the time they are indifferent to things that happen in real life (and at times downright nasty). But sometimes you get a kind sole who decides to help you out and push things along. That's more likely to happen with someone they've actually met than someone on the phone, hence the InfoPass appointment may be the better bet.

I am holding onto hope!

Originally I had empathy for you, however, your above comment doesn't sit well with me. It sounds as if your reasons for naturalization are a little off base. Naturalization isn't for convenience. It's something you should want to undertake and be proud of. Perhaps you should just pay for your green card and be happy to have it.

I also hold British citizenship and am a naturalized US citizen. Had a green card at one time too. My desire to become a citizen was based on many factors, not convenience or finances.

Quite honestly, the main reason to get my citizenship is the ongoing cost to maintain a green card, plus having to remember that it expires so I can't just relax. I have both Aussie & British citizenship which would seem to be more than enough

I am holding onto hope!

Really? My underline.

Your choice as to your priorities. :eek:If the citizenships you hol d ""seem more thannenough", why bother with Green card and u.S.? :rolleyes:

Edited by sail7seas

I actually started back in March, and chose to apply for citizenship rather than renew my green card, as it would just expire again in 10 years. I hadn't planned on the cruise, but still thought 6 months would be plenty. Now having heard anything since April, I am less confident. I believe that the I-551 visa will allow me to re-enter the US, but would breathe a lot easier with a US passport!

Sent from my SM-T520 using Forums mobile app

Quite honestly, the main reason to get my citizenship is the ongoing cost to maintain a green card, plus having to remember that it expires so I can't just relax. I have both Aussie & British citizenship which would seem to be more than enough ���� But having said that, I would at this stage cancel the cruise before having to go through this again. We are booked for a 22 night trans pacific & then want to spend a couple of months in Australia, so leaving before this process is finalized isn't an option. I am holding onto hope!
Really? My underline. Your choice as to your priorities. :eek: "If the citizernships you hold " seem more than enough" why bother with G reen card and U.S. citizenship? :confused: :rolleyes: on recentr july 4th, I watc hed brand new U.S. citizens take their oaath and wave their U.S. flags. It was heart warming to watch. Many in that group (most)? were so eXcitied to know they now were citizens of the country hey chose to be a parrt of. One has to wish them well and applaud hem. IMO> We can only guess what they might have suffered to get to this point Some dreamed of it for years.. Edited by sail7seas

Originally I had empathy for you, however, your above comment doesn't sit well with me. It sounds as if your reasons for naturalization are a little off base. Naturalization isn't for convenience. It's something you should want to undertake and be proud of. Perhaps you should just pay for your green card and be happy to have it.

I also hold British citizenship and am a naturalized US citizen. Had a green card at one time too. My desire to become a citizen was based on many factors, not convenience or finances.

Quite judgemental. Sorry if I haven't put into words all the reasons for applying for citizenship, some of which are quite personal. Yes right now at this space in time, it is financial & convenience, but that does not make me any less grateful and proud of my new home.