Royal testing to bring back same drink package for all

Diamond members get 6 anywhere on ship (except MD and shows) between 5-830. And unlimited in Diamond lounge. On our Dec 2015 12 night Serenade 70% of ship was Diamond and above and we were told we were two of 200 under 70 years of age. Lol. It was a mad dash of electric scooters and wheelchairs to the lounge at 530!

Do all ships have a Diamond Lounge? Does it only open for certain hours? Unlimited booze - I like the sound of that! What's the catch....?

Diamond members get 6 anywhere on ship (except MD and shows) between 5-830. And unlimited in Diamond lounge. On our Dec 2015 12 night Serenade 70% of ship was Diamond and above and we were told we were two of 200 under 70 years of age. Lol. It was a mad dash of electric scooters and wheelchairs to the lounge at 530!

Do all ships have a Diamond Lounge? Does it only open for certain hours? Unlimited booze - I like the sound of that! What's the catch....?

Diamond get 3 drinks in other bars between 5 and 8.30 pm.

Unlimited in lounge there is no catch but there is a comprehensive list of the drinks you can get.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

... Do all ships have a Diamond Lounge? Does it only open for certain hours? Unlimited booze - I like the sound of that! What's the catch....?

All ships except Majesty and Empress have a DIamond Lounge, however Majesty designates a section of VIking Crown for their Diamond Event for 3.5 hours in the evening. The hours are most often 5pm to 8:30pm or 4:30pm to 8pm. Unlimited drinks in the lounge (or event). Drinks are limited to soda, selected beer and wine,and basic cocktails (no frozen/blender drinks).

All ships except Majesty and Empress have a DIamond Lounge, however Majesty designates a section of VIking Crown for their Diamond Event for 3.5 hours in the evening. The hours are most often 5pm to 8:30pm or 4:30pm to 8pm. Unlimited drinks in the lounge (or event). Drinks are limited to soda, selected beer and wine,and basic cocktails (no frozen/blender drinks).

If one has the Drink Package, enjoys the Lounge for the munchies, in many lounges you may order most common drinks (not of list) with exception of frozen drinks. Tito's is not on the list but generally I can get a Tito's Martini in most DL/CL because of the DX.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For me personally, I don't care if both have to buy it since we both get it anyway and we are D+. It is still worth it for us. But I am with a girlfriend in Jan and she does not drink much. So I already ordered my pkg just in case they start making everyone buy it..

So I agree, everyone should not have buy it as there are many instances where one does not drink. Royal tried this once and it failed, so they went to anyone could buy. I get why they want to do it again, but again it will fail. They get way more people to buy the pkg when you don't have to have everyone buy it, so they are still ahead of the game.

For me personally, I don't care if both have to buy it since we both get it anyway and we are D+. It is still worth it for us. But I am with a girlfriend in Jan and she does not drink much. So I already ordered my pkg just in case they start making everyone buy it..

So I agree, everyone should not have buy it as there are many instances where one does not drink. Royal tried this once and it failed, so they went to anyone could buy. I get why they want to do it again, but again it will fail. They get way more people to buy the pkg when you don't have to have everyone buy it, so they are still ahead of the game.

Do you know this for a fact, or is it just your opinion?

And for the 46 bucks we did to....but once Diamond I got pkg and she got soda pkg.....didn't have to....we could have been "one of those people" and she used cup but we didn't. I took advantage of pkg she took advantage of rewards for her wine.

Gotta love keyboard accountants.

Let's all be "keyboard accounts for a minute".

What percentage of people do you think "cheat the system"? I personally think it's higher on the "value sailings" is it 10%? 20%? And I'm not talking about getting 1 or two drinks I'm talking about the couple that drinks 8+ a piece and buys 1 package. If buying a beer and re swiping card for a water for her is wrong then I'm guilty. Usually they just give it to you but there are those tenders that ask for both cards.

What percentage of people do you think "cheat the system"? I personally think it's higher on the "value sailings" is it 10%? 20%?.

It could very well be more than 10%, but that is only for the folks that actually buy the drinks package, not of the entire ship - the % of people that buy the package is probably fairly low.

It's really hard to fathom a sailing on which even the theater would not be big enough to act as the DL.

At 445 there was NO ONE on the pool decks! Had solarium bar to ourselves and two other couples....They cancelled almost all night time activities after 9!

It could very well be more than 10%, but that is only for the folks that actually buy the drinks package, not of the entire ship - the % of people that buy the package is probably fairly low.

I'm always AMAZED at say, day 3 the guy at bar asking "how much was your package because I think I'm WAY OVER the 7 day total already" lol. So yes, I'd say 30% purchase pkg and I'd say only 20% of those only buy 1. Again, this "experiment" is not about $. If so it would be implemented on a "value sailing". This is about "smart ships". Has to be

I had assumed with all the drink packages it was an all or nothing proposition.

None of us drink alcohol, but I do drink a lot of pop (yes pop!). My wife will drink some, but not enough to make it worth it. My daughter doesn't drink any.

Went into Cruise Planer, and sure enough, I can select individual people.

I had planned on just buying some at port stops to get my caffeine fix, but now I'll have to re-consider!

So in my families particular case, letting individuals purchase a package will get them a sale they would not have gotten in an all-or-nothing policy.

Does not apply to refreshment and soda packages and a lot of speculation in this thread that this proposed test may change the rule on the deluxe package.

None of us drink alcohol, but I do drink a lot of pop (yes pop!). My wife will drink some, but not enough to make it worth it. My daughter doesn't drink any.

Went into Cruise Planer, and sure enough, I can select individual people.

I had planned on just buying some at port stops to get my caffeine fix, but now I'll have to re-consider!

So in my families particular case, letting individuals purchase a package will get them a sale they would not have gotten in an all-or-nothing policy.

Only ultimate package and only on 7 Harmony sailings as of now....

I'm taking my 2nd Royal Cruise in Oct 2018 in the Mediterranean on the new ship. I have been cruising Carnival where this is the policy. We figured if you drink at least 6 alcoholic beverages per day, then it was well worth it.

I checked our bill at the end of our trip, and we did save some money. For us it was more peace of mind not having a surprise bill at the end.

I probably will not do this on our Mediterranean cruise due to we will be off the ship I think more than on the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I only read the first few pages of this thread so these questions may have been answered, but I didn't see them.

I'm on Harmony in Feb, if I buy the package now for just myself, does anyone know if they will force me to add my wife later if this test run becomes policy---or will I be okay because I bought before the rule started for all sailings?

We have several cabins with wives that don't drink much and won't buy the package. Can I just put the wives in the same cabins and the husbands in the others, keeping one original name on the reservation?