Final payment date coming earlier??

jo-b

Just diarising the date for final payment on a 2 day cruise we are taking as a reunion with some cruising friends next April and I thought i had missed putting in the date due for final payment on our Oceania cruise later the same month as nothing in the calendar around the 12 week mark.

I found out why, final payment date is 21 November 2017 for a 22 April 2018 cruise. :eek:This is the date on the O site so it's not our beautiful TA asking for the money e early. As this is the only recently booked O cruise we have we have no way of knowing is this the new normal. Is it because it is a longer cruise (31 days).

Does anyone else have the same? Maybe they just want my money before I start Christmas shopping :champagne-toast: (in which case they are too late! :evilsmile:)

Have you looked in the T & C's

I believe this has been the policy for a several years now

Final payment must be received by Oceania Cruises 90 days prior to cruise departures for voyages 14 nights or less and 150 days prior for voyages 15 nights or longer. Oceania Cruises reserves the right to cancel any booking not fully paid at time of final payment. Payment may be made by personal check, American Express, MasterCard, Discover Card or Visa.

Thanks, this is our first longer cruise with them. I hadn't realised the differences. I wonder why, could it be because the US market can cancel up to that date without losing deposit maybe?

Thanks, this is our first longer cruise with them. I hadn't realised the differences. I wonder why, could it be because the US market can cancel up to that date without losing deposit maybe?

It's a fairly common practice in the industry. Longer cruises and cruises in higher category cabins such as suites often have an earlier final payment due date and earlier imposition of cancellation penalties than shorter cruises and cruises in lower category cabins.

The higher prices of longer cruises and suites make them more difficult to sell closer to the sailing date, so the cruise lines want to lock in your commitment earlier. Less expensive cabins are easier to sell at the (relatively) last minute, hence shorter cruises and lesser cabin categories can carry a later final payment due date.