Accounting for passengers during ship's emergency in port

Boatdrill

Reminds me of having to develop a corporate IT disaster recovery plan. Since every possible situation couldn't be anticipated it boiled down to broad categories of situation combinations based on scope, severity and duration and then planning recovery procedures for each combination.

RFID bracelets like Disney would help.

Interesting article. What was even more interesting was the comment from the person who was on the Liberty, saying that some of the passengers who decided not to go into port were hiding around the ship after being order to evacuate. How stupid is that? The poor crew has to put their own lives in danger looking for these yokels.

Roz

I suppose the way Holland America will handle evacuations will be to demand a key card from each evacuee and to turn back those who do not have a key card and a paid up shipboard account. "Sorry, get your key card. Sorry get your key card. Sorry, see the front desk about your bill. Sorry, get your key card."

I suppose the way Holland America will handle evacuations will be to demand a key card from each evacuee and to turn back those who do not have a key card and a paid up shipboard account. "Sorry, get your key card. Sorry get your key card. Sorry, see the front desk about your bill. Sorry, get your key card."

Aren't you sorry you posted this?

This is merely an example of poor planning on the part of the senior officers onboard, and the corporate types ashore who deal with the ISM plan. As for accounting for passengers who evacuated without their key cards, it is a simple matter to take names and cabin numbers on an old school sheet of paper, and then compare to the "onboard" status list. You can rely on technology too much when things go sideways, and you should always be prepared for a glitch just when you don't need it. I don't see why this wasn't thought of before, and why it wasn't trained for.

This is merely an example of poor planning on the part of the senior officers onboard, and the corporate types ashore who deal with the ISM plan. As for accounting for passengers who evacuated without their key cards, it is a simple matter to take names and cabin numbers on an old school sheet of paper, and then compare to the "onboard" status list. You can rely on technology too much when things go sideways, and you should always be prepared for a glitch just when you don't need it. I don't see why this wasn't thought of before, and why it wasn't trained for.

Bang, and there you have it folks - Have a plan and if you don't; adapt, improvise, overcome, use your brain. Someone at the gangway, get a piece of paper out and start writing down names and cabin #s of those who show up without a room key (happens all the time on turnaround day "Oh, I forgot my key" because fine folks want to keep them as souvenirs/memento's; someone else, go make a print-out of what Fidelio (the computer system used at the gangway which electronically keeps track who's on the ship, and who's off, with a date and time on that print-out) shows. Lastly, everyone on the ship (pax and crew) is in that system. There is way, by the individual responsible for scanning you off (and on) the ship to "manually force" someone who doesn't have a room key/ship's I.D. off (or on) by imputing his/her cabin # in the computer; that happens all the time also because fine folks lose their room key(s)

Get the deck-by-deck/space-by-space ship search plan out (every HAL ship has one), and get the search teams (Emergency Response Support Team; Passenger area search team; Crew area search team) involved.

Someone else, get a hold of the port agent and PFSO (Port Facility Security Officer) and start setting up an area ashore where pax can gather (away from the fire zone), start thinking about providing liquids and food; get the local emergency services and Red Cross involved. It's called an emergency response plan and a unified command; it can be done!

Bang, and there you have it folks - Have a plan and if you don't; adapt, improvise, overcome, use your brain. Someone at the gangway, get a piece of paper out and start writing down names and cabin #s of those who show up without a room key (happens all the time on turnaround day "Oh, I forgot my key" because fine folks want to keep them as souvenirs/memento's; someone else, go make a print-out of what Fidelio (the computer system used at the gangway which electronically keeps track who's on the ship, and who's off, with a date and time on that print-out) shows. Lastly, everyone on the ship (pax and crew) is in that system. There is way, by the individual responsible for scanning you off (and on) the ship to "manually force" someone who doesn't have a room key/ship's I.D. off (or on) by imputing his/her cabin # in the computer; that happens all the time also because fine folks lose their room key(s)

Get the deck-by-deck/space-by-space ship search plan out (every HAL ship has one), and get the search teams (Emergency Response Support Team; Passenger area search team; Crew area search team) involved.

Someone else, get a hold of the port agent and PFSO (Port Facility Security Officer) and start setting up an area ashore where pax can gather (away from the fire zone), start thinking about providing liquids and food; get the local emergency services and Red Cross involved. It's called an emergency response plan and a unified command; it can be done!

Sounds like HAL put the right guy in charge!👍

Hey, John. Glad you weighed in. If they couldn't figure this out, they weren't seeing the big picture, they were fighting the weeds. Not a good situation in an emergency. If the ship was signaling an evacuation, that would be for the pax only, the crew should stay onboard and deal with the emergency (that's their job, after all). This was simply a passenger muster where the muster location was off the ship. Part of any ship's emergency plan when the pax muster is signaled, is to have the crew search the ship (I know you know this), so it doesn't make sense to me if they sent the crew ashore before searching the ship.

IMO your post is outrageous, & not one bit funny!:mad:

This is not the time for such inane remarks!:rolleyes:

Even if crew at the gangways were writing down names and room numbers of people without key cards, I guarantee there were many pax who didn't know their room number when asked.

Certainly, but I would hope they would know their name and that works also.............