Sip and Sail or $300 OBC for non-alcohol drinkers?

ams cruiser

Last summer I was thrilled to get the Sip and Sail promotion for our upcoming 7-day Ruby Alaska cruise, however, my DH's new medication means he must forgo alcohol.

The Soda and more alternative for me is a no-brainer, but my husband will only drink an occasional non-alcoholic ginger beer. (He's still trying to figure out a life without wine!) He doesn't care for sweet drinks (no virgin daiquiris), likes Perrier/Pelligrino water, loves good brewed coffee (Peet's), and enjoys the occasional latte.

On the Princess website, a soda and more package, 2 12-packs of bottled water, and a coffee card total $105.80. (If DH just buys coffee on a-la-carte basis, the total goes down to $70.15.)

It looks OBC is still a better value, but I am suffering from analysis paralysis over something I know isn't that big of a deal.

Is there anything I'm not thinking of? Are there any non-drinkers out there who still find the Sip and Sail a better option than $300 OBC?

I did try using the beverage calculator, which I'm sure is a great tool (and a lot of work on the part of whoever created it), but I was having trouble making it work for me, most likely due to my own technology limitations.

Last summer I was thrilled to get the Sip and Sail promotion for our upcoming 7-day Ruby Alaska cruise, however, my DH's new medication means he must forgo alcohol.

The Soda and more alternative for me is a no-brainer, but my husband will only drink an occasional non-alcoholic ginger beer. (He's still trying to figure out a life without wine!) He doesn't care for sweet drinks (no virgin daiquiris), likes Perrier/Pelligrino water, loves good brewed coffee (Peet's), and enjoys the occasional latte.

On the Princess website, a soda and more package, 2 12-packs of bottled water, and a coffee card total $105.80. (If DH just buys coffee on a-la-carte basis, the total goes down to $70.15.)

It looks OBC is still a better value, but I am suffering from analysis paralysis over something I know isn't that big of a deal.

Is there anything I'm not thinking of? Are there any non-drinkers out there who still find the Sip and Sail a better option than $300 OBC?

I did try using the beverage calculator, which I'm sure is a great tool (and a lot of work on the part of whoever created it), but I was having trouble making it work for me, most likely due to my own technology limitations.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. If you don't drink alcoholic beverages then the OBC is a better value. If you do drink alcoholic beverages then you have to consume about 30+/pp of them over the course of the cruise to make the beverage package pay off. Remember with the Sip & Sail promo both persons in the cabin must select the same option, either drink package or OBC. The cafe card is $35. Coffee is also available for free in any DR and at the buffet.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. If you don't drink alcoholic beverages then the OBC is a better value. If you do drink alcoholic beverages then you have to consume about 30+/pp of them over the course of the cruise to make the beverage package pay off. Remember with the Sip & Sail promo both persons in the cabin must select the same option, either drink package or OBC. The cafe card is $35. Coffee is also available for free in any DR and at the buffet.

Thanks for putting it so concisely. I'm over-thinking this. I've been planning this trip, and reading these boards off and on for months. I did well in the beginning of my planning in getting excursions lined up, etc., but am panicking over little things as the trip gets closer!

OBC is what we opted for for an upcoming cruise, and also it is combinable with other OBC from travel agent, FCDs, FCC's et cet. We love that we will have almost $500 OBC for a 7-day cruise, especially when we only drink around two drinks pp per day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OBC is what we opted for for an upcoming cruise, and also it is combinable with other OBC from travel agent, FCDs, FCC's et cet. We love that we will have almost $500 OBC for a 7-day cruise, especially when we only drink around two drinks pp per day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wonderful! We have some OBC from our TA as well. I think it is already spent!

How do you switch to OBC? I might consider a lower cost drink package since we are not big drinkers. Can OBC be used to pay for shore excursions that are already booked and paid for?

Thanks,

Pete

You must contact whomever you booked with to change your Rate Code "before" the S&S sale expires . After that the ability to change it is over.

Once the OBC is posted in your cruise personalizer , you then have to cancel the tours then "try" rebook them using OBC (if possible). Otherwise you will have to wait until onboard.

• 2 weeks later...