Any Hints on how to make it through the OUTSIDE Muster Drill on the Liberty ?

jewliana

We did a cruise on the Conquest a few years ago and that 30 min or so, standing in the broiling heat was something I still have not forgotten. Does anyone have any hints for how to make it through without breaking a sweat?? LOL!! :D

Do you hide somewhere and come out only at the very last moment? !! :evilsmile:

I am a bit older and have a hard time standing for long periods of time. My back starts to hurt SO badly!

Ask about the muster drill for special needs. I have heard that you get to sit down inside for that.

Personally I like to go right away to stand against the railing preferably by a door where the AC comes out. Of course it doesn't always work like that. Others like to arrive later to be in front. I hate being in the middle with a passion. Nothing to lean against and you have people both behind and in front. That is the worst.

I tend to take my time going to Muster. I don't show up late, but I'm sure as hell not early. It does help if you can lean against the wall though. You can ask those behind you if they mind switching so long as the lines remain intact.

On our last few cruises the muster drill was moved to the inside, mostly in theaters and lounges. It doesn't surprise me because every time we did it outside I saw someone get ill from the heat and need medical attention. I haven't done the Conquest recently but on the Freedom and the Breeze it was inside.

Does anyone have any hints for how to make it through without breaking a sweat?? I am a bit older and have a hard time standing for long periods of time. My back starts to hurt SO badly!

Want to make it through muster? FAINT EARLY!!! :p:p Beat the rush and make sure you're the first to pass out, then they'll have to take care of you before all those pesky old ladies start to keel over! (lol)!

Seriously, if you have back issues and can't stand, I'd suggest you follow the advice an earlier poster gave, and find out how to attend the Special Needs muster. I traveled with an elderly friend once and we did this- it was so convenient for her, as she can't stand for very long either. I offered to go to the regular muster but they said I could attend with my friend.

On our last few cruises the muster drill was moved to the inside, mostly in theaters and lounges. It doesn't surprise me because every time we did it outside I saw someone get ill from the heat and need medical attention. I haven't done the Conquest recently but on the Freedom and the Breeze it was inside.

Despite my earlier tongue-in-cheek post, there's a reason why the muster is where it is on the various ships... and it has nothing to do with Carnival... it's all about Maritime law.

The muster drill is supposed to be in proximity to the lifeboats, but on the newer ships that's not possible most places, so they moved the muster to theaters etc. This is all decided by the inspectors who sign off on the ship before it's ever put into use. (check posts by our maritime expert ChengKP for more details- he's very well versed in all of the maritime rules and regulations and has posted several times on the reasoning behind having it inside on the newer ships).

Just came off of the Liberty in June. We were able to go to the dining room with my elderly mother and to the muster drill in there. All we had to do was ask/tell the muster drill person and they directed us to the dining room. Did not need to show any doctors note, documentation, etc. Saw many older people, people with babies/small children, etc.

Want to make it through muster? FAINT EARLY!!! :p:p Beat the rush and make sure you're the first to pass out, then they'll have to take care of you before all those pesky old ladies start to keel over! (lol)!

Seriously, if you have back issues and can't stand, I'd suggest you follow the advice an earlier poster gave, and find out how to attend the Special Needs muster. I traveled with an elderly friend once and we did this- it was so convenient for her, as she can't stand for very long either. I offered to go to the regular muster but they said I could attend with my friend.

LOL Thank you for making me laugh! And thank you for your tips. Everyone here on cruise critic is so great!

LOL Thank you for making me laugh! And thank you for your tips. Everyone here on cruise critic is so great!

No problem! I seem to be in a humorous mood this evening, based on some of the posts I've made! :halo:

Seriously though, so many people bash Carnival (as I did, before I was aware of the facts) for where the muster drills take place, when they have zero control over it...

Now HOW those drills are done, Carnival could definitely improve some in that area on occasion!

We did a cruise on the Conquest a few years ago and that 30 min or so, standing in the broiling heat was something I still have not forgotten. Does anyone have any hints for how to make it through without breaking a sweat?? LOL!! :D

I am a bit older and have a hard time standing for long periods of time. My back starts to hurt SO badly!

Let them know of your problems and you may go somewhere to sit and do the muster drill.

Amazingly enough I dont mind these muster drills because they are a few hours into the cruise and I have usually had a few drinks, so I'm feeling pretty good. But my wife and young daughter were in bad shape at one of them. One of the carnival people simply told them to go inside somewhere because they both looked like they were going to pass out (we had just driven 20+ hours so we hadn't really had a chance to rest). I would simply talk to one of the people and tell them you are feeling woozy is there anyway you can go inside for the muster drill. If that doesn't work just try to stay at the front so you aren't boxed in and get no breeze, plus the employees can then see you if you start to look like you're going to fall down.

Years ago we were standing in formation and a family showed up basically carrying dad. He was about 17 sheets in the wind already. He did not seem to mind the drill. Just another option. :D

Interesting. We did our first cruise Jan 2016 on the Splendor, and had our, just about to turn 17, daughter with us. She suffers (or did at the time) severe anxiety, so getting to and through that muster drill was an adventure. I don't mind it, and know it is part of the procedure, because you never know if it will actually be necessary should something happen.

Thirding or fourthing or whatever those who have suggested the special needs drill, because we've found that those are generally held inside in a lounge or in one of the MDRs.

Our first couple of cruises on the Triumph, we TRIED to do muster drill outside with our son, who has anxiety and sensory issues which make being stuffed in a crowd of people not exactly pleasant and can (and have!) cause meltdowns for him. Meltdowns are just as embarrassing for him as they are to everyone else and he hates when that happens in public. We decided that we need to attend the special needs muster after those experiences and have ever since. The only time we had an issue with it was our last cruise on the Breeze where NOBODY seemed to know where the Special Needs muster drill was. Fortunately, our muster station was in the Blush dining room and the crew member in charge there gave us permission to sit kind of in a corner, away from the main crowd so that my son wouldn't be overwhelmed.

First of All, Nobody likes to go to Muster Drill but its one of those things that if you want to Cruise you have to put up with. As said before on CC, Cruising has its Pluses and Minuses....One of them is Muster Drill, or waiting to get On/Off the Ship, Expensive Booze, Chair Hogs,:mad: etc. Pluses are Good Food, Getting a chance to see Different ports, Meeting new people, etc....Its all part of a trade off.

Get a note from your Doctor, Call Special needs or Contact them on Board and I am sure they will assist you.:D

Despite my earlier tongue-in-cheek post, there's a reason why the muster is where it is on the various ships... and it has nothing to do with Carnival... it's all about Maritime law.

The muster drill is supposed to be in proximity to the lifeboats, but on the newer ships that's not possible most places, so they moved the muster to theaters etc. This is all decided by the inspectors who sign off on the ship before it's ever put into use. (check posts by our maritime expert ChengKP for more details- he's very well versed in all of the maritime rules and regulations and has posted several times on the reasoning behind having it inside on the newer ships).

I don't quite understand this because on Princess and NCL, the muster stations are all inside. Why can't Carnival do the same?

I don't quite understand this because on Princess and NCL, the muster stations are all inside. Why can't Carnival do the same?

Based on how the ship is designed.

We are "older" and now have trouble with stairs. We contact Special Needs ahead of time and are put on the list to stay inside where the first part of the Muster is held (usually the theater). They come around and check your name and cabin number. Makes it so much easier.

200w.gif

Edited by Saint Greg

This is good to know. Did a cruise with girlfriends a few years ago and luckily was against the outside wall but that didn't stop me from passing out from the crowds heat and claustrophobia feeling. My friends slid me down the wall and hid me on the floor behind them because we were afraid they'd make us get off the ship. Once it was over I was fine (happens at concerts too) When my husband & I go away in September I am for sure going to tell them ahead of time and maybe I can go to a drill inside somewhere.

I'm claustrophobic and have always had a hard time at the Lifeboat drill. On our last cruise hubby bought me one of those hand held fans. When we arrived I asked if it was o.k. to have because of being claustrophobic and they told me was o.k. and to always let them know so I can stand in the very front. The fan and being in the front of the group with no one in front of me helped.